Drug info - Kratom vs. Kanna

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by jackiesbaby, Sep 17, 2011.

1. jackiesbaby

jackiesbaby Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Judging by what i've read, kratom and kanna seem similar. Which do you prefer and why?

2. spicybrainsgirl

spicybrainsgirl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kanna did nothing for me and Kratom did the world. Just my $.02

3. JfromM

JfromM Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kanna should not be taken with SSRIs, MAOIs, or cardiac medications.

Kratom and kanna are completely different, genetically and effects.

btw, Piggybear much prefers kratom :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  4. mokoceno

mokoceno Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from united_arab_emirates
    I think a better question would be Kratom vs Kava Kava. Probably though most people would still pick Kratom. Although kava's effects aren't really comparable to kratom, to me it seems like a better matchup then kanna-kratom.

And if you do consider kratom vs kava kava it isn't really that easy to say one or the other because it depends on the type for each one; some kratom could be stimulating and another type sedative and as far as I know the same goes to kava kava more or less.

If someone was thinking about trying anything like kratom, kanna, or kava for the first time, there really is no way to explain their effects because all 3 are pretty unique drugs, so you won't know until you try them.

Btw, is saying swim still necessary?

5. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kanna didn't do anything for me, but I was on a SSRI about a week before I tried it so its possible that since my serotonin receptors had already been modified from Paxil that Kanna wasn't going to do anything that the Paxil didn't already do.

Kratom on the other hand works beautifully as a back pain reliever and energizer for work and at the same time can be used as a relaxant in higher doses. Definitely love Kratom, even though I get horrible withdrawals these days if I don't take it regularly.

6. ellisd

ellisd Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
  7. spicybrainsgirl

spicybrainsgirl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  8. darnoc

darnoc Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    my foaf ust recived some kanna with a sample of malaysian kratom, he drank the kratom about 3gm then smoked a fair amount 3 bong rips of kanna, shortley after he was in a great mood definatley altered by something he says, maby there was some rez in the bong that caused this, he will clean the bong and repeat these steps spread out over an hour 2morrow because he is still feeling strong effects, and he dose take sri's and benzo's for his ptsd . he will let me know what happens 2morrow.

9. KingYahtzee

KingYahtzee Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Darnoc, be very careful taking Kanna while on an SSRI. The exact action of kanna is not totally understood, but you should probably stay away from the kanna. Serotonin syndrome is no joke. Stick to the kratom, it's the best legal ethnobotanical IMO. Just remember that kratom is addicting so keep your doses spread apart at least 2-3 days to be safe :) Moderation is the key!!!

10. ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kanna extracts made by a dolphin created too much nausea for it, and quite the opposite via kratom. Both can cause an individual to become somewhat "sick" or have nausea, but as far as mental effects:

Kanna: A "trance" like effect, very similar to when you stare at something and begin to daze off, but still know whats going on around you. Relaxing, but in no way a comparison to kratom.

Kratom: A motivational, euphoric (mentally and physically), yet relaxing (mental and physical) effect, very similar to opiates without any "bogged-down" effect.

In EVERY way does this dolphin prefer kratom over kanna, and even kava.

11. darnoc

darnoc Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    kannna will affect you and is dangerous even can be fatal if you are using ssri's my foaf found this out the hard way i was with him luckilu and am an E.M.T i assesed him elevated pulse and slight lowering of blood pressure, lasted 1/2 hr any longer and it was E.R. time i believe it was seretonin syndrome as others have mentioned keep the two seperate even if you have been off your meds for a while, they can last a month or longer, please be careful. have fun with the kratom and use in moderation, don't just use it if your bored we all know what that leads to. sorry for the rant but i dont want anyone to get hurt.

12. Kamuix

Kamuix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from Canada
    Yeah kanna's not that great, it's a nice little serotonin reuptake inhibitor that's useful for improving your mood, combining with different things, It can help you sleep and in that way is simular to 5-HTP but meh.. it's not going to give you a buzz

13. Chaz5773

Chaz5773 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A Buddy that had both said there no comparing the two kanna was bunk trash and Quality Kratom kick A**. He said Ya gotta wait days for kanna trash to work as to where Quality Kratom like Red Vein Thai or Maeng Da or White Vein Borneo will jack Ya up to the moon. He was saying Houston We have landed lol. Kanna He said was a waste. Now some decent news He said about Phenibut if Ya get the quality stuff but He said it was like on it for a week off it for a week due to addiction. Plus Ya gotta find Your own right dose He said some it is 1 gram some 3 grams some 500mg but He said never go over 3 grams. Another thing is Passion Flower extract He said get both the tincture and the stadardized pills mix them together and You will be Joyful He said Your Wife too hehehe. But comparing Kratom to Kanna He told Me is like comparing aspirn to a perc lol No comparison He saiid Kratom is the real winner kanna is a placebo compared to Kratom that is Quality He said not some junk.

14. MachoManSavage

MachoManSavage Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Not comparable. Only things similar is the legality, the fact that both are herbs that start with k, and are normally served in powder.

Kanna always makes me feel strange. I don't enjoy it.

Kratom is, in my opinion, better than opiates.

Answer your question?

15. Soulfake

Soulfake Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Germany
  16. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend who takes bupropion (actually my friend, not me) can't get high on opiates.... we took hydrocodone together once and he just got itchy, meanwhile I passed out into a couch. In general bupropion seems to not allow other drugs to be as euphoric as usual. Probably still worth trying Kratom, maybe it'll work for you. No unsafe interactions with the bupropion.

Kanna is an SSRI, and does some similar things to bupropion (which is prescribed in place of SSRI's), so start small since it might be overload for your brain's serotonin system or something. Probably not worthwhile though.

17. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree that kanna and kratom are different. I've only had kanna a few dozen times and never really over did it. For people that say it has no effect, they may just need to increases their dose. Kratom is a lot cleaner and smoother. Kanna is edgier. I also hate the gritty, salty taste of kanna, which I use buccully.
    Kanna is a more focused stimulant, where I find kratom provides relaxation and more of a sense of well-being.

18. AbbaZabba

AbbaZabba Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kanna is completely different than Kratom. Kanna is garbage and doesn't do a thing so if you feel like throwing your money away buy some. Kratom is amazing and works wonders for a lot of different uses.

19. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My old smell hound Geech has used both kratom and kanna off and on for several months. They are 2 very different substances. Geech says that kratom has more recreational potential, and kanna has more therapeutic potential, at least for hounds.

Geech says that kratom has a nice body buzz and mild mental high with doses of 3 - 5 grams of dried leaves. However, at higher doses it has made Geech dizzy and nauseous. Also, Geech always has insomnia after taking kratom, even at lower doses.

Kanna is a very different substance. It always has an anti-anxiety effect, suppresses appetite and lifts mood. Depending on administration and dose, it can produce mild euphoria as well. Kanna must be taken on an empty stomach in order to work, and in Geech's experience does not always produce the euphoric effects that some may be looking for in a recreational substance. However, it is a great herb for those suffering from anxiety and depression. Route of administration matters as well. Geech has always had the best effects with the traditional route of chewing the dried herb, but others have found good results with snorting or smoking it. Kanna also enhances the effect of alcohol. Here is a note from Geech's journal:
    Note: Sept 12, 2012 – Further evidence that kanna interacts with alcohol. I took 150 mg of the 5/1 standardized extract powder in the early afternoon. I followed that with 3 standard drinks over the course of 1.5 hours. Euphoria was pronounced, and effects of kanna pronounced (mood elevation, appreciation of music, appreciation of nature). These effects were very noticeable and lasted quite a long time- for several hours. Euphoric effects of alcohol were as if 6 or 7 drinks were consumed as opposed to 3.

20. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    It might not have 'done a thing' for you, but for many people it offers a lot.
    Perhaps you bought your kanna somewhere bad, like a headshop or 'legal high' site, or perhaps you were expecting something different from its effects?

If you were looking to get 'high' then you were going to be disappointed.