Combinations - kratom while on methadone?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by kailey_elise, May 15, 2007.

1. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    After reading all these glowing reports about kratom while here visiting ( my friend doesn't have internet access ), a friend of mine asked me if I thought it would help for breakthrough pain on someone who takes methadone daily; I replied that I didn't know, so I thought I'd ask here! ;)

This Person I Know takes 20-40mg of methadone 3-4 times a day for a chronic pain condition, and is given other, short-acting opioids for the "breakthrough" pain. As anyone who is in chronic pain knows, these breakthrough prescriptions are almost never large enough to last the entire month, and there are days when the only things you can seem to do are take more of your long-acting opioid (which can cause you to run out of THAT too soon as well) or get something "on the street" (unsafe, illegal and terribly expensive!). So TPIK is pretty excited to learn that there's something legal that might actually be able to help.

TPIK can take 15-30mg oxycodone on top of the daily methadone dose and receive relief (and on the higher end can even get some nice euphoria to boot), 6-12mg (oral) hydromorphone on top also works, as well as 25-40mg hydrocodone ( although this causes TPIK *MAJOR* stomach upset ).

With that in mind, can kratom work for TPIK, even if just for pain relief and not euphoria ( although I'm sure that ability would be nice for TPIK as well! *LOL* )? "Premium Commercial" grade kratom was obtained once by TPIK and tried as tea infusions at ( approx. ) 8gm, 12gm & 4gm, and reported that all that seemed to happen was sleep about 20 minutes after drinking. Since this episode, TPIK is still intrigued, but unsure if: the method was incorrect, the amounts were incorrect ( the last dose was lower, thinking that the sleeping effect may have been caused by too high a dose; alas, sleep was again produced ), or the product was incorrect ( perhaps a different brand/grade/type? ).

Any thoughts I can share with TPIK from those more experienced with kratom? I did a few searches at a few different sites for TPIK, but any mention of kratom & methadone together seem to be regarding using kratom to come off methadone ( save for this post ), not using kratom along with methadone.

Thank you in advance!

~Kailey Elise

2. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    ...::: bumpity bump bump :::...

no one? nada? nothing?

*sniffle*

Should I perhaps post this in the opioid forum instead?

~Kailey

3. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    I didnt have time to read your WHOLE post... but if ur asking can it help with methadone withdrawl... im sure it can as its used for Heroin/morphine withdrawl allready.

And if ur asking if you could use them together at the same time... the real question would be who would want to use kratom if you're using methadone in the first place;)

but serously i dont think theres gonna be anyhting fatal to worry about. SWIM have mixed kratom with morphine on accident and I didnt die.

Also Kratom does kill pain.

4. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    SWIM usually had bad experiences mixes opiates (opiods) with Kratom. There was no real pain relief and there was quite a bit of nausea and disphoria. I have read of others who have experienced the same negative effects. However, it was usually hydrocodone, morphine, or heroin that was mixed with the Kratom, not methadone.

5. MzEnthusiastic

MzEnthusiastic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    TPIK was on methadone and used kratom for PAWS....worked amazingly :)

TOPIK was trying to use kratom while tapering m'done for b/t pain & wd's, to no avail. I think it may have been due to the opiod receptor BLOCKING effect that m'done has.

I also read somewhere that if kratom is mixed with opiates they tend to struggle for the receptor, and can kinda cancel one another out. Which means TPYK may actually feel worse.

There are other herbs on the market for pain tho, if TPYK wants to research :)

Hope this helps

6. madpad

madpad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes, methadone is very good at 'blocking' other opiates but I'd imagine, in theory, anyone on it and taking any other similar medication on top would be alright as long as the other drug isn't a partial antagonist like [SIZE=-1]buprenorphine. I tried that years ago and it wasn't nice. It might be a bit of a waste of course as that's a hefty dose to start with. :)