Lactuca Virosa (Opium Lettuce/ Wild Lettuce)

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Psychonautica, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Psychonautica

Psychonautica Newbie

Reputation Points:
    While not particularly recreational or strongly inebriating, L. Virosa grows readily across much of N. America and Europe and has definite effects beyond those of placebo.

Two extractions were performed. The first was quite inaccurate, using a small amount of isopropanol and water with too much sodium bicarb over heat, and yielded a product that produced a mild sedation and slight enhancement of colours. Oral doses last longer but can produce nausea at higher doses, though no vomiting was observed. Smoking was observed to have similar effects, though more short-lived, without nausea. Some tests were performed on the product, its purity was low, but it was possible to observe that the lactucin salt was readily soluble in water and alchohol and vaporised at a high temperature, probably somewhere around 300 degrees F.

A second extraction was performed using pure iso and calcium carbonate, with applied heat in hot water bath, washed using H20, with some filtering here and there, this produced a smaller amount of product which has yet to be tested thoroughly, though it seems effective and far more enjoyable to smoke than the previous.

While L. Virosa is hardly recreational, it seems to mix well with a number of things and have potential as a sleep aid on its own. It's capable of producing EXTREMELY vivid and colorful dreams. It produces a rather pleasurable effect when taken orally with Kava Kava, definitely superior as an anxiolytic compared to kava kava alone. It also enhances the visual effects of opiates and helps a subject sleep under the influence of opiates.

It's hardly "Lettuce Opium" but considering we'll never be without, its not a bad thing to know a little about.

2. pistol pete

pistol pete Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    lactuca virosa is very sensitive to heat.
    that may be your problem, it would knock off some potency.
    even when smoking it You should be careful not to let the lighter touch it or it will be pointless. opium pipes can work nice.

3. hunsag

hunsag Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from earth
    I am so happy to see all these Lactuca serriola around him, anywere he goes he spots one and is dying to do it.
    But he is not sure how much he is gonna need for a good trip...
    He learned that the plant must be stabed and leave the milk flow for some 3 hours, and then soak the plant in water for 24 hours before simmering it.

Then you can make tea of it, eat it or smoke it...
    But swim just doesn't know, how much is just enough...
    I dont know about the grams and stuff but can understand if you tell him lol... how many leaves or something... just any information that can make him have any idea for the right dose.

So ...anyone? plz!

4. tweak_mode

tweak_mode Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have done a simple crude extraction of a few medium-small plants. I used isopropyl alcohol 70% with fresh leaves placed in a 1 gallon ziplock baggy for about a week, agitated and mashed everytime I passed through the room. The isopropyl alcohol would turn greenish with the chlorophyll and alkaloids. After approximately 1 week (you may do it 2-3 days, I do it a week because I don't always have time to get around to completing the extraction), you strain out the isopropyl alcohol by opening only the edge of the ziplock, and carefully pour the liquid out into a flat smooth container. you can hereby choose to either let evaporate (a fan helps) or CAREFULLY heat in a hot water bath. The result will be a greenish hued black tar that should be scraped up with a razor. It takes months to dry even with the help from a desiccant like silicone gel, so what you can do is put some on a cigarette and smoke it, or if you don't smoke cigarettes (I don't) then you can roll it in a powder such as damiana or kanna. Then smoke in a vaporizer or make a cheap vaporizer out of a lightbulb.

I agree fully with Psychonautica's findings on the extracts. It should be noted that the smoke is quite bitter but smooth. It has a high vaporization point. With a pea-sized amount, there were several effects. Sedation is significantly pronounced, slight and subtle euphoria, significant analgesic (painkilling) effects, vivid dreams were experienced. Woke up the next day after 11 hours of sleep and quite groggy, but grogginess cleared up within 45 minutes of waking, after which I felt quite refreshed.

I am experimenting with making a more pure but simple extraction. I have lots of this plant growing around me, just the other day I found 3 7' tall plants. I have collected MANY seeds and they grow well from cuttings in plain water (must be changed every so often). I think if research on this plant were to develop results as an actual entheogen, it could be grown successfully and easily hydroponically. It is nearly impossible to over-water it.

5. WillyG

WillyG Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have just bought 50grams of powdered lactuca virosa but haven't a clue how to use it - googled but can't find anything. Vendor said I can chew it but it's a very fine powder so I don't think that's an option. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

6. PowerfulMedicine

PowerfulMedicine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I hope you didn't pay too much for it (don't mention the price though, it's against the rules), because you can collect this herb on your own pretty easily. Also, 50g is not all that much with this herb. People tend to report that it isn't all that strong.

I've read people saying that 20-50g is only enough for one dose when taken orally. I've used this herb a few times (well actually the closely related Lactuca serriola) and I found 30g to be very mild. Only slightly above placebo, but it synergized well with Cannabis even at this dose.

Don't chew it, that won't work and makes me question whether this guy might have ripped you off seeing as how he doesn't know anything about this herb. Also, if you can't find any info on how to prepare this herb then you're not looking hard enough.

All I'll say is that I prepare this herb by a process referred to as decoction. I'd be glad to answer more questions once you've come up with specific questions. Maybe UTFSE a bit first.

7. WillyG

WillyG Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have no idea what I bought but I T and W with juice and I projectile vomited everywhere later - it was disgusting, so dumped it. Thanks for your advice. Sticking with Kava, got some from same vendor and it seems ok.