Combinations - Lamictal and LSD

Discussion in 'LSD' started by jefsopatrio, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jefsopatrio

jefsopatrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am 18 and have bipolar 1. I have taken a wide range of antipsychotics and antidepressants and mood stabilizers, but now that my life has calmed down, I have cut it all back to only 200mg Lamictal per day.

When I was just starting treatment, I did a lot of drugs, unaware that there could be interactions with my medicine. I had one bad shrooms trip while on Lamictal and Risperdal which most likely was the result of a combination of bad babysitter, bad environment, and ignorance of the actual effects of hallucinogenic drugs. I did, however, have a magnificent trip for the first three or four hours before I started getting paranoid. When I was on an SSRI, I found I could barely trip at all on the same amount of shrooms that, the first time, had made me totally lose my body and my sense of self.

But this was all a fairly long time ago, and since I have fully stabilized for several months, I am thinking about doing something I have long wanted to do (but had to put off when I started treatment for bipolar): drop acid. I've done the research and, well, it's overwhelmingly against bipolars taking LSD. Because I have experienced psychosis before, there is a real risk that this could occur as the result of an acid trip.

However, as I've survived a bad trip before and survived psychosis with absolutely no outside help, I'm reasonably confident that in a controlled environment with a totally safe and trustable sober friend to look out for me as well as quite a bit of Klonopin (prescribed for anxiety) and some leftover Risperdal (an antipsychotic), I should be able to get it under control if something goes wrong. I also have a friend who is a drug counseloron speed-dial who has not only given me the go-ahead to try LSD if I want to but has offered to immediately come and help me should I experience a bad trip.

So the only risk that I have yet to consider is that of possible interactions between the drug Lamictal and a small trialamount of LSD. I have found no information (certainly no scientific studies) on interactions between Lamictal and any recreational drug, because it is so new. I am here looking for anecdotal evidence for people in a similar situation as me who have tried LSD either while bipolar or while on Lamictal.

Thank you for all your help.

2. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    lamictal (lamotrigine) mechanism of action is unknown. a quick search revealed the following:

"Will interact with medications you aren't even taking." - Cliff from the about.com bipolar forum.

pharmacology is complex, take look here: rxlist

hmmm, while it may not be contraindicated with LSD, it just does not sound like something i'd want to be combining with powerful hallucinogens, given the rash, headache and tension common side effects.
    Edited by: nanobrain

3. jefsopatrio

jefsopatrio Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am lucky in that I have never experienced any negativeside effects from Lamictal in the year that I have been taking it. Unlike the other medications I've been temporarily placed on -- like Risperdal, Wellbutrin, Lexapro -- it has never interacted with other medications I have prescribed or recreational drugs I have taken while solely on it and not other psych meds (these include marijuana, shrooms, coke, ecstasy, and pharms like Xanax and Ritalin).

Is LSD very chemically different from shrooms?

4. lilsteve

lilsteve Newbie

Reputation Points:
    they're not really anything alike.
    my friend considers himself to have bipolar tendencies (not formally
    diagnosed?) and he has have found that good protection from a bad trip
    is a good sitter or a strong will. You can force yourself outof one if
    you really need to, if you catch yourself. he's never had acid, but has
    had shrooms, dmt, saliva, 2c-i and 2c-e and claims he has never had an
    anywhere remotely bad trip.