1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Last call to save our thousands of wiki articles

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Alfa, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    Even though our wiki offers step by step instructions on how to use the site and is direly needed now, we must come to the conclusion that we probably have to do without it.

The old wiki has 18000 contributions in thousands of informative drug related articles. The wiki has been viewed 75 million times and offered a wealth of drug information. I'm sure that it has helped many.

To import the wiki content to the new site we really need a good number of people investing a lot of hours. Without that, there will be no wiki.For the last 2 months I have tried to get more help, but so far this has not lead to enough activity. There are a few members who can put in a limited amount of time, which is not nearly enough to check our complete wiki for import issues. I cannot do this myself and need your help.

So I am putting it out there. If there are people who want to save this valuable resource then this is the last call to help out. If you do want to help out by investing at least an hour a day, then post here.

More information here:
    https://drugs-forum.com/threads/wik...by-reviewing-wiki-articles-for-issues.298228/

2. rbegoniaz

rbegoniaz Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from sf ca
    I would be more then happy to help Alfa,but do I need to be really computer savvy?

3. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Glutton for Punishment Titanium Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from Wherever the drinks are stiff...
    Okay, I'll help. I put too much work into some of those wikis for them to be gone. There's nothing else like the chandu wiki anywhere online.

What do I have to do?

4. rbegoniaz

rbegoniaz Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from sf ca
    I just read the link at the end of your cry for help Alpha,and I got to say,I'm no clearer on what to do then if I hadn't read it.

5. stormroad

stormroad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    I can help if you need me. Just let me know what needs to be done.

6. devilgoose

devilgoose Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I can help, I'm computer literate and can spare some time.

7. Budgetadvisoryservice

Budgetadvisoryservice Blue Water Scum Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from On the bay
    @Alfa - I'd love to, and tried. The trouble is that my ability to help much is serverly limited due to my browsing platform - the iPhone 7+.

When I had a crack at it, I kinda hit a brick wall of bugs and broken links and figured I'd wait until things were further along before I focus on what I can do, given that I use the mobile platform and don't have any ability to view multiple windows simultaneously.

If there's anything specific which you'd like me to hack away at, let me know and I'll get on it.

8. detoxin momma

detoxin momma Just A Brick In The Wall Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Mid-West USA
    I'd love to help out Alfa, i just can't....dont have the time, or a decent enough laptop anymore :(
    i hope you get lots of volunteers...

9. AbbyCat

AbbyCat Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Former Meth Capital of the US
    I'm reasonably computer literate and have a few hours I can spare to help out...just point me in the right direction with detailed instructions. :rolleyes:

10. cren

cren Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I am a computard but I will try and help. I am very time poor but I would like to give it a go. I dont know how much help I will be

11. Somewhere in the middle

Somewhere in the middle Life path 11 Silver Member Supporter Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from ~The place I need to be~
    @Alfa

I'll start putting in a couple hours each night.
    Also, Is there a way to know what has already been done?

12. Joe-(5-HTP)

Joe-(5-HTP) Palladium Member Supporter Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I can do an hour a day. We can't lose the wiki. We need it.

13. perro-salchicha614

perro-salchicha614 Glutton for Punishment Titanium Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from Wherever the drinks are stiff...
    Hey, I offered. And I have heard nothing. I think they deserve to be saved too.

14. Joe-(5-HTP)

Joe-(5-HTP) Palladium Member Supporter Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    The worst problems I've seen so far are the [imgr] code or not working, the

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  15. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from The Netherlands
    To elaborate: you don't have to be very computer savvy, but the wiki does make use off bbcodes. You will need to understand this.
    The main activity is comparing the text of an article in the old wiki and the new wiki and check if anything has gone wrong.
    In many cases there is text missing, or specific characters are replaced with others.
    There are also articles missing or not attributed to the correct categories.So its needed to compare categories on both the old wiki and the new wiki test import.
    There are also functions not working. You need to be able to describe exactly what is wrong and post a screenshot, so the developer can fix it.

16. cren

cren Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I dont know what a bbcode is - sorry

17. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Apprentice Sorcerer Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    @cren BBcode is easy to understand. Take a few minutes and read the article on Wikipedia, its easy to understand.

BBW

18. justleaveit

justleaveit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Salt Lake City
    Hey, I'll give it a go. Set me in the right direction to help with wiki, and I'll do my best.

19. gonzochef

gonzochef Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm on board. I can give an hour a day most days of the week. My bb code is a little rusty, but I'll pick it back up. I've been using the site now for months without contributing, it's time to get back to work. @Alfa just let me know where to start.

20. Phencyclidine

Phencyclidine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I would really like to help review some articles.