1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Laudanum (recipe)

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by pokergod0588, Oct 3, 2005.

1. pokergod0588

pokergod0588

Reputation Points:
    looked for a way to make in online (googled it i think) and found this excerpt from some story

http://www.nycgoth.com/more/laudanum/

it basically said to take the poppy seeds and poke little holes in them with a pin/needle then place them on the stove in a pan on low and let them "sweat out".....this liquid is the laudanum which can them be mixed with alcohol or some other strong drink that will mask the taste

will this work or was it just a story? anyone ever have laudanum before and what was it like? does it feel like opium? heroin?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
  2. armatitumor

armatitumor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    That's awesome, I doubt its true or worthwhile though. Are poppy seeds
    readily available at hardware stores? Maybe I'll try this for myself.

3. pokergod0588

pokergod0588

Reputation Points:
    found this one too, http://www.poppies.org/news/97809844592476.shtml

thought i'd share it with you

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
  4. armatitumor

armatitumor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Interesting, the author doesnt seem too impressed with the outcome himself though.

5. bman1

bman1 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

Seeds can be bought at ones local grocery store where the spices are
    found, much more expensive this way but still poppy seeds

6. pokergod0588

pokergod0588

Reputation Points:
    not in the states they aren't, atleast not around here in grocery stores....havnt checked the nurserys tho (i thought they were illegal here too)

7. Ninja Master

Ninja Master Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i think laudinum is made with fresh crushed poppy heads and a strong
    liquor like everclear or brandy. this is an archaic caugh
    suryp. does anyone have any other ideas on this?

8. MrJim

MrJim

Reputation Points:
    Laudanum is made with Opium. Poking little holes in poppy seeds is not going to do anything, except waste alot of your time and probably improve your fine motor skills.

The reason seeds come up at all as a source of opium is not because of whats in them, it's because of whats ON them. Seeds come out of a pod - Opiumcovers the seeds like tar. Inside the seed there is nothing but genetics. The seeds are washed, but some residue can remain. That residue is opium residue in minute quantities.

Laudanum is esentially opium in alcohol - There is no one standard recipe, when it was being used it was made differently by all doctors since medical practice didn't have the uniformity that it has now.

For ex.

Preparation instructions from Culpeper's Complete Herbal, 1653:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>

Take of Opium extracted in spirit of Wine, one ounce, Saffron alike extracted, a dram and an half, Castorium one dram: let them be taken in tincture of half an ounce of species Diambræ newly made in spirit of Wine, add to them Ambergris, Musk, of each six grains, oil of Nutmegs ten drops, evaporate the moisture away in a bath, and leave the mass.

Pokergod - Seeds can be bought in the states in grocery stores. That poppy seed muffin, poppy seed bagel and poppy seed anything else you can think of is all from the somniform variety. Ironically it is the only poppy seed variety that is fit for human consumption.

That poppies.org recipe is as close to a real recipe as you can get with dried poppy heads. And it still isn't very good.</BLOCKQUOTE>Edited by: MrJim

9. HeroinGirl

HeroinGirl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    hahahahahahaha, did any of you even go to the link and read the recipe? First off it wasn't a recipe, it was an excerpt from a fictional story. Second and most importantly, it did not say pierce the poppy seeds with a sewing needle, it said pierce the poppy HEADS. Could you imagine piercing hundreds of thousands of poppy seeds with a sewing needle? you'd go insane. As for the an actual recipe I have yet to find an easy on online...yet. Stay posted ;)

10. death&decay

death&decay Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I was going to say... One must be more than devoted to spend an eternity poking holes in poppy seeds with a needs... The seeds are so very small I could only imagine how long a process like that would take if even possible at all... Made me laugh though.

11. TheGabe

TheGabe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Is the Culpeper's recipe any good? I have a great interest in Laudanum but have yet to find a decent recipe.

12. vervain

vervain Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    You do know that ambergris is the lining of a sperm whale's intestine that washes up on beaches, and that musk is a gland extract from the male musk deer? And that castorium is basically beaver piss? This is a Rennaissance-era apothecary's potion, not laudanum.

Laudanum is just opium in an alcohol tincture. It's not rocket science.