Legal K?

Discussion in 'Ketamine' started by hard2core, Jan 20, 2005.

1. hard2core

hard2core Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I had a thought just to throw out. First off, understand that I am neither a chemist or a lawyer so please do some more research before jumping in to this.

The federal analogue act only applies to sched I and II drugs. Special K is sched III though. I don't believe that K is orally active, but what if K could be modified so that it would not be broke down in the liver and passed on to the blood/brain. I know that this is done with steroids and it actually makes them legal. For instance Mark Maguire was using Androsteine Dione to bulk up for a while, it was just recently scheduled. That chemical was an analogue testosterone, but because steroids are sched III the analogue act doesn't apply.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. matti_2003

matti_2003 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I think Ket is orally active isnt it. You just need 3 times as much for the effect ? I may be wrong though

3. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    In Briton, ketamine is legal to posess, but is controlled under the Medicines Act as a prescription medicine, so unauthorised supply is illegal. I think the scheduling of K varies from state to state in the U.S., so please check up a bit more.

Ket certainly is orally active, but it's not a pleasant ride ime and many others. It anaesthatises and dissociates from the point of ingestion, so swallowing it will dissociate your body before it reaches your brain, and will more than likely make you puke before you reach anything like a nice trip, although I've come across good reports. Dosage appears to be the same orally and nasally, but the effects nasally are more non-linear, transporting you to a completely different level with every line, rather than a steady(if somewhat queasy) trip from oral.

4. psychedelicgrad

psychedelicgrad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    you left out an intramuscular 2cc shot... i visited aliens once

5. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    in the uk ketamine is now controled as class b which is what pot used to be befor declassification to class c. go figer i know more people who have problems with pot than i do with k.

6. matti_2003

matti_2003 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Where did you hear that ketamine was class B in the Uk. as far as i am aware it is not illegal to possess small amount but can carry class C penalties if you are supplying it. I cand find anything that saya that the law has changed

7. serpent

serpent Newbie

Reputation Points:
    there was nothing mentioned about ketamine in the new proposed drug law changes,i think the only things it classes that werent before is mushrooms and as far as im aware,that hasnt been passed yet.

8. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i was aressted in 2001 with 8 grams of k. after it had been tested and found to be k i was given the option for it to be destroied or pay asmall fine to get it back. as all i had done was break some bylaw under the misuse of medicine act. i receved no conviction or caution for this this was not put on my police record. how ever 6 months ago my friend was arested with 2 grams of k after beeing serched in a club we where at, after usstagering out of a toiletcubical the toilet atendant reported us because she had white powder around her nose she had fogoten to wipe of and i had not noticed.she was taken to court and charged with having possesion of an illegal substance. i belive that the law was changed march 04. however i may have been wrong saying class b it may be c i will have to check with my friend, ether way its no longer a minor offence for which you get no punishment.

9. tryptych

tryptych Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    According the othe Home Office website, ketamine is still not a controlled
    substance under the MDR or MDA, so possesion is not an offence.
    Supplying it is, however. Searching HMSO turned up no papers since 1997
    that mentioned ketamine, and the 2005 list of controlled drugs from the
    Home Office website has no mention of ketamine.

This is not true - ketamine is not a local anaesthetic (like cocaine), but a
    general one, that works via NMDA antagonism. To have an effect, it has to
    cross the blood brain barrier. Ketamine is metabolised by the liver into
    nor-ketamine, so if you take it orally, it will have a first-pass metabolism
    before eat reaches the brain, and most of it will be nor-ketamine. Nor-k
    is less psychedelic, and more anaesthetising, and you definately need
    more than the snorted dose - 4-5 times as much I would reckon.

10. bubaloo

bubaloo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Australia #
    Schedule IV (Search for Ketamine) and Sydney Star Observer article, Aug 2004

Canada #
    Ketamine is not scheduled in Canada, meaning its possession does not require a license, but sales are controlled under pharmaceutical laws.

China #
    Ketamine is a class II psychiatric drug; trade is limited to licensed wholesalers and retail sales are prohibited. In Jul 2004, the state of Sichuan placed ketamine in class I; other provinces are expected to follow suit. [Chinafdc-law.com] See also China firms embroiled in ketamine scandal.

Mexico #
    Ketamine is a Category 3 drug under Mexico's General Health Law; Cat. 3 drugs "have a therapeutic value but constitute a problem for the public health". [Ley General de Salud, Title 12, Chapter 6] Medicines Administration Regulations restricts the aquisition of Ketamine to licensed veterinarians only, and sets strict rules regarding the management and follow-up of the products. [Reglamento de Insumos para la Salud]

Netherlands #
    Ketamine is treated as a medication and is not in List 1 or 2 in the Netherlands. (List 1 & 2, unofficial, Official Dutch Law)

Norway #
    We have been told that Ketamine became a class A drug in Norway in 1999, but we have not confirmed this.

South Korea #
    As of January 2005, Ketamine is controlled in S. Korea. (media)(thanks M)

U.K. #
    Ketamine is not controlled in the U.K. under the Misuse of Drugs Act, making it legal to possess. However sales and distribution are controlled under the Medicines Act making it illegal to sell or distribute without a license.