Legal status of tramadol

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Love_N_Bruises, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Love_N_Bruises

Love_N_Bruises Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I want to order tramdol from a site. But she is worried that it may be held in customs :S as the site mentions that some products could be. is this very likely and what would happen if so?

2. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Tramadol is classified as an opiate and is prescription only in the uk. Without a doctors prescription you will be unable to order it online legitimately. Im not that up on the regulations of finding prescription only drugs in mail. I would imagine you could get in quite alot of trouble for it.

ALthough i would never condone such an action, it would seem silly to risk all this when it could legitamately be gained from a GP quite easily in the uk.

Feel free to ask anything further.

3. jaffacake

jaffacake Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It's perfectly legitimate and legal to order prescription only drugs over the internet as long as they arn't controlled drugs. Tramadol isn't a controlled drug. It's legal to possess tramadol without a prescription but illegal to sell it.

I've never found any UK doctors who would prescribe Tramadol except in very exceptional circumstances.

4. jaffacake

jaffacake Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have no idea how you think I've broken the rules. I've posted nothing incriminating, merely corrected the inaccurate and misleading information provided by Fantasian.

This will be last post at this forum. Providing accurate information is clearly not allowed.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    jaffacake: That was not directed at you. That was my handiwork as the post the person made was in serious violations of the rules. I removed all of his post past: Speaking of online transactions - and replaced it with our standard written warning. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    I really dont feel like my information is inaccurate, both in SWIF's personal experience and in his profession he has seen tramadol prescribed and given on numerous occasions.

Tramadol is to treat moderate to severe pain and is commonly used as a step imbetween codeine and strong opiates like morphine and Buprenorphine.

In relation to the laws im the first to admit that im no expert however i am pretty sure that a prescription only drug can only be prescribed. Just because it isnt scheduled or classified as A, B or C doesnt stop it from being unlawful to possess. Im sure that the police would have alot to say if you had tramadol without a prescription.

In relation to ordering online, there have been numerous threads warning of it and the legality of it, again the prescription only medications if done legally should require a prescription to obtain (like Tramadol) this is obvious...

7. bob78

bob78 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have only had bad experiences on tramadol, he know it works for some people though.
    I was pleased when the doctor stopped it and prescribed morphine instead.

8. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    swiFantasian is right. a prescription is necessary to obtain tramadol. in the US at least, one doesnt need a prescription to possess it (paradoxically), since its unscheduled, but the prescription is still required for it to be gotten in the first place.

and bob78, many people react very differently to tramadol. it seems like its SSRI properties cause a wide range of reactions. more can be found on the "tramadol experiences" thread.

9. jaffacake

jaffacake Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Ah I see!! ;)

10. jaffacake

jaffacake Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It's a feature of the medicines act that possession for personal use of prescription only medicines like tramadol without a prescription is legal. You are allowed a 3 month supply. If you have thousands of them then you could be prosecuted for intent to supply.

And it's perfectly legal to order online. The only person committing a crime is the person supplying it - and seeing as they are in another country that's irrelevant.

11. jaffacake

jaffacake Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    This is the official legal position from the Medicines authority:

Tramadol Hydrocholride is a Prescription Only Medicine (POM) which is
    confirmed at the link below, on our website:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=728

POM medicines can only be sold or supplied legally at registered
    pharmacy premises by or under the supervision of a pharmacist in
    accordance with the appropriate practioners (e.g GP) prescription. If
    you are in possession of a POM, obtained by another route then it is the
    supplier rather than the receiver which is in breach of the law:
    possession and use is not an offence under the Medicines Act. Please
    note that if you are in possession of a significant quantity of such a
    product then police or customs officers may investigate if they suspect
    that the product is not for personal use, which is usually stated as a
    three month supply.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  12. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    so tramadol is only available to procure with a prescription, as jaffacake says. but as fantasian says, its legal to possess without one (at least up to a certain amount!) in swim's view, you're both right.

13. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    The on-line pill-mills will sell you a prescription from some doctor they inflate with a bicycle-pump. How legal that may be is anybody's guess.

14. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    So true. There may be a law stating that a lab rat must see his or her doctor face to face before getting prescribed anything. Not sure about how stringent that is for unscheduled drugs, but for Schedule II one would have to have a physical consultation. I suspect Schedule III and IV might be the same way. But this may also be different in the UK.

15. brandi29

brandi29 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o
    In the US you can buy online from a US pharmacy where they obtain your heatlh history. Whether tramdol is consider a nacrotic is for debate among alot of doctors. From, gossip, alot of people order it online for chronic pain in the US because he is cheaper than paying to go to a doctor then paying for the RX for it. And from gossip, most places don't drug test for it and it will not show up as a opiate on one and most people don't get highs from it and probaby wouldn't find it on the street for sell. Now if you do take more than you are suppose to you could have a seizure from it and I heard this is the only reason why it isn't sold OTC here. When I went for surgery in costa rico I was given this for pain, thank god my doctor in the US gave me a RX to bring with me that was stronger and better. I think it helps for people who have alittle aches and pains, but nothing for people needing pain mangerment for major chronic pain.

16. BoxStar

BoxStar Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
  17. mickenator

mickenator Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from U.K.
    I know this isn't about Tramadol but about online perscription ordering, but many years ago a young man took an OD here in the UK with medication he had legitimately bought at one of these online pharmacies it wasn't until after the boy had died that his mother had said he had been recieving packages from abroad with tubs of Valium etc and that she had actually had to remove some of these before he got them as she was getting very worried about his state of mind as these sites obviously only care for your money.

18. jb2008

jb2008 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Since tramadol isn't really regarded as a substance which can give euphoria etc. like codeine, I think it's ok. I don't think it's a controlled substance, it's just a prescription only medication. SWIM orders online from a certain site which refuses to stock controlled substances, and accordingly the only painkillers they have are tramadol and one or two other non-opiates.

19. fiveleggedrat

fiveleggedrat Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Too bad tramadol actually gives euphoria to some people, I am enjoying some right now.

I find tramadol the most cost efficient opioid there is. Certainly not the best, but on average 1/5th the cost of other medicines.

Sadly tramadol will most likely become Scheduled to some degree.