Legalized Cannabis: Your Country?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Motorhead, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    When do you think that Pot will become completely legal in the country that you live in? The situation with Marc Emery here in Canada got me thinking about this again.

I think we are close here in Canada to legaliztion, about 10 years from now at a minimum. First of all the public attitude towards marijuana isnt very intense in a negative sort of way. Im sure it varies from region to region as with everything else in this country, but here in eastern Canada weed/hash is a popular recreational drug. Even people that dont do it dont villify it. My father lives in Ontario and its popular there, its everywhere out west, and we all know the attitude in BC. Polls show Canadians arent in favour of harsh penalities anymore.

So I dont think there would be a public baclash if it happened. Now what about our government? The NDP is in favour of legalization, even though they probably will never get a majority government. The liberals are in favour of Medicinal marijuana and even grow their own in Manitoba i believe. There is a new decrimanilization bill that lessens the penalities for possesion that hopefully will be passed soon.

I say 10 years from now because that is probably when tobacco will be abolished. You see here in Canada the government loves its taxes. We have many social programs here and some big ass debt they are always whining about so they tax everything: Gas, booze, and smokes are big cash cows for the govt, but like i said tobacco is on the way out so they will have to replace it with something. Hopefully that something is Weed[​IMG].

Now I dont know. Im sure political pressure from the states has always played a part in this. Tredeau, one of our former Prime Ministers, was all set to legalize weed in the seventies, but it didnt happen. Pressure from big business and the states no doubt. Now we have this govt about to sell out Marc Emery and open the flood gates for the DEA to bring the drug war here.

I guess well have to wait and see, but im still optimistic about this 10 year time frame for us. I cant see anything positive happening in the states,even with a Democratic President. Politics in the states, with its checks and balances, powerful lobby groups and big business make change seem far fetched. Emery thinks that legal weed in Canada will make prohibition fall in the States. That might be reaching. What are the attitudes like in other countries. Does anyone have a hypothetical scenario how legalization might come about in their part of the world?

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    In the Netherlands, probably after we get rid of

[​IMG]

'Harry Potter', our right wing christian president of parlaiment more than 65% of our population is ashamed of. I can see a steady move forward towards legalisation on EU level. Recently there was a very large call for legalisation in the government, but the minister of Justice (Christian democrats) claimed the EU would be hurt. The EU replied that they would not mind if the Netherlands would legalise cannabis. The minister of justice of the Netherlands had a hard time defending his view against legalisation. To make a long story short: he will not legalise, no matter what the facts are. It is against his religion. He is a member of the board of the protestant church of the Hague. Two of his readings show this minister is a great fan of alcohol BTW. His red nose may indicate the same.

[​IMG]

Please note that growing and distributing cannabis is illegal in the Netherlands, while small sales from coffeeshops and consuming cannabis isillegal, but not prosecuted.Edited by: Alfa

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    In Ireland's case, part of me says "soon", and another part of me says "not in my lifetime". They've gone ahead and loosened out laws with mushrooms and other natural plants/drugs but seeing as cannabis is a big money maker and we kiss the asses of Americans like half the planet does, I can't see it happening anytime soon. I just hope our alchos keep spiralling out of control and start smashing up the streets UK style in order to provoke cannabis legalisation in an attempt to mellow out the masses.

4. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic

So ironic... A country that is most well known for the debauchery that goes on inside of it is led by a small geeky man who is probably afraid of drugs.

5. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    I read somewhere that counties will not be admitted to the United Nations if weed is legal there.

6. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    I think The Netherlands has already taken the lead
    on this issue.

As for the UN; FUCK THEM!

7. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    You read wrong. To be admitted to the UN, a country has to sign the drug conventions of the UN, though.

8. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada

Thats news to me. All this time I assumed that sales and possesion were legal in Amsterdam because of the coffeshops and tales ofdrug usefrom various people and sources.

I wonder if there are any countries in the world where cannabis is currently completely legal? Ill do a google and see what I can find.

9. thegod1

thegod1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Im from the UK and to be honest, im not really sure. It hasn't really led to any problems and there hasn't been anything being done to support it from what i know.

But im hoping it get's legalised soon.

10. MescalinePirate

MescalinePirate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    In New Zealand: I think soon [10 years, maybe.]

I think our Green party will get enough votes in the elections coming
    up very soon to get an ok on their policy making maximum punishment to
    anyone caught with less than 28 grams of pot or five plants a $100 fine
    as long as they're not near a school [​IMG]

After this, legalisation should be a piece of cake.

11. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Most people don't know this I guess, but the state of Alaska in the united states does allow posession of up to 4oz per person for personal use in your own home.

so, yeah. it's decriminalized in alaska for up to 4oz. california has already stopped arresting for medical marijuana. in the city of seattle in washington state, marijuana has been made the lowest priority, even under jay walking so it's pretty close to being decriminalized there.

so . . . it looks like, state by state, marijuana is starting to become decriminalized in the united states ... though I would say it'll be another 10 to 15 years before it's decriminalized federally.

12. polloloco001

polloloco001 Gold Member

Reputation Points:

oakland CA too. it was called measure Z and it passed last year by like 70 percent.

13. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    yeah so on a LOCAL level at the county and state level, it's becoming decriminalized in the u.s. but it won't be a federally accepted thing for a good long time. we'll probably have to wait for all the regan and bush legacies to die off.

14. a-SalviaLover

a-SalviaLover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    In Bulgaria smoking pot theoritically can be punished 15 years. People who get caught usually get 3 years suspended prison. But the law makes no difference between the different drugs. Just a list of chemicals and a sentence. In the past there was a legalised single dose of a drug. And this was no problem. But now owning drugs is illegal. The last parliament changed this. I hope that when we enter the EU (2007) our laws will equalize the laws. There must be at least some distinction between the different drugs. And may be a distinction between small and large amounts should be a good idea, too. So the police wont catch only the kids smoking in the neighbourhood, but the bigger fishes.Edited by: a-SalviaLover

15. insanity

insanity Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    weed is legal in my state if you have a care givers card for medicinal weed. its crazy how some people can legally grow marijuana from their own home. imagine what kind of world this would be if everyone could grow weed in their backyard without law enforcement trippng