Legit ? about Fentanyl patches and brands TY

Discussion in 'Fentanyl' started by themidnite1, Jul 16, 2006.

1. themidnite1

themidnite1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have a legit prescription for 25mg Fentanyl patches. I have tried the Duragesic brand, and the Sandoz (which is made by duragesic so it is the same bag o' jelly probably just cheaper glue) and that's all so far. And so far I am unhappy with both.

I would like to hear from someone who perhaps has tried all 3 types (including Mylan which is my next choice), anyone and everyone who uses these LEGITIMATELY and the correct way for REAL chronic pain control. What are your opinions on the three as far as which is "best?"

Or even if you've only tried one or two brands, I'd love to hear from all. Again, this is NOT about abusing patches, how to abuse them, etc. I use these for real chronic pain, and real chronic pain control. I have had serious adhesion problems with the two I've tried. I had to go to the E.R. Saturday night, and the nurse put one on for me, using a patch over the patch.
    He put it on the back of my arm/bicep, and it has not really been giving me a lot of relief. Honestly, as strange as this may sound, when I put on a patch i do not get a bee buzz.

I get more of that legitimate side effect from the oxycodone or hydrocodone i also have and use legally. strange, since Fentanyl is (I think) THE most powerful opioid created. All opinions etc greatly wanted and appreciated.

Just please, from people who have legitimate pain, and a legit script etc. no diverters, and no offense please to anyone. tyvm
    peace:smoker:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
  2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I know a lab rat who used the patches for pain control legitmately, and told SWIM that for him, the duragesics worked best. the sandoz and mylan patches seemed to have a problem adhering to the skin over the course of days, and at times he couldn't tell if the sandoz or mylan patches were even working, although this could be due to opioid tolerance. he reported the most effective pain relief with duragesic.
    since fentanyl in the patches is released so slowly, and You presumably has a high tolerance or has used opioids legitimately for a while, You may just have built tolerance to the pleasurable buzz effect as well. while fentanyl is not the MOST powerful opioid (that honor belongs to either carfentanil or etorphine, around 10,000x stronger than morphine), it is the most powerful that is available for use in humans.
    if You is still in pain, You may want to talk to the doctor about options for acute pain control when the patches just don't cut it. look into a dose of oxycodone, or perhaps the actiq lollipops which this particular lab rat swore by...they also contain orally available fentanyl.
    these are great questions! Best of luck in your pain control.

3. dafentkid

dafentkid Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    i now use the mylans and they are much smaller and do stick well when you place them in a good spot where your skin is not going to stretch too much from movement,,if you do try mylan, when placing it on skin you need to hold your whole hand over the patch and press for close to a minute for best results,,also duragesic makes shower dressings that are supposed to be great and they can be cut to any size,,i believe they are free if you write and ask for them from duragesic,,i've tried all three and think i'll stick with mylan for now but that is partly do to the fact that i started abusing the other patches and don't want to end up in that boat again,,good luck friend

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    has You discussed with the doctor the possibility of raising the patch dosage? the lab rat swim talked to reported that at times, doctors would put him on a 100 mcg/hr patch and an additional 25 mcg/hr or 50 mcg/hr patch, which seemed to work better than just one patch when his tolerance was at its highest. also dilaudid (hydromorphone) was being used for acute pain relief in lieu of actiq at times, which seemed to work very well for him. let the forum know what ends up happening with swiy's situation, and best of luck.

5. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    As excellent a resource as this forum is, I would suggest trying this question out also on some discussion boards which are focused on chronic pain. You will probably be able to get responses from many people who have had the same exact issues.

6. themidnite1

themidnite1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks for the info but............oh and a ? please

I had to beg their dr (family practice) for the patch for over 1 month before finally getting it. Before that, I was on 40+ Oxycontin daily etc. SWIM doubts the Dr would give any more than has already. SWIM now gets the 25mic patches and qty 24 of straight oxycodone (no APAP).
    SWIM starts at a University pain clinic on the 25th. I go on 25 and 27, and sees a PT, a pain management dr expert, and if need be and they have a new one (the old one retired), a clinical psychologist.
    Then I go back exactly 2 weeks later (8/10). At that point, they give the patient their final evaluation and treatment plan. If they decide to use any type of meds at all in this plan for SWIM, they prescribe a 3-6 month supply and send the patient back to their regular doctor.

I am hoping to stay ON the patch, simply because of the MASSIVE improvement in quality of life. I have yet to feel any type of bee buzz from any brand or type of patch! When used as directed of course.
    If SWIM eats a jelly 25 in full, SWIM just feels good. Of course orally the biovialbility is only 1.5%, so I believe unless You has a lot of them or large size, eating is a waste.

I got Mylans today and loves them. Can still cut into pieces and stick under tongue for an hour; same bee buzz. SWIM actually feels nothing and the only way to really know patch is working is pain is gone.
    I enjoy a great bee buzz like many, but main goal is no pain and able to get a p/t job! SWIM first tried Duragesic brand, then Sandoz (made by Duragesic). both sucked; crinkly bags of jelly! Now Mylan; small, no jelly, etc etc.
    SWIM supposes that since I have never worn any patch for more than perhaps 1.5 or a bit more days, that is why. Fentanyl levels up and down!

SWIM question is this; if the patches are used correctly, as in patient puts one on, waits the 72 hours (or as close to it as the patient can), then removes and disposes of it, and IMMEDIATELY applies another to a different spot, I think perhaps the buzz might show? I will and is trying to try that!

I have a neighbor that was injured in combat (seen combat 8 times in army! and is under 40!) who got shrapnel in arm and more, and cannot work. They are on same meds, I think it is the 25 and knows it is Mylan because SWIM neighbor said no jelly in patch.

SWIM's neighbor mentioned they get fucked up for 2 days just by putting on a patch! Maybe they are 50's or higher.....and I think this person is NOT very opiate tolerant. They have as of yesterday run of of their patches and were taking a weeks vacation with family; 3 young girls (one a two year old!) and bitch of a wife. But not worried about not having patches.

Swim's neighbor obviously does not use them correctly, since correctly is having a patch on 24/7 and changing when necessary, correct? They are strictly NOT for "PRN" or as needed pain relief.
    Anyhow Swim's doctor doubtfully will raise dose or give actiq, which I would be fine with both or even one of those two. This time SWIM only got 5 patches so can't wear 2 at once; already ate one and wearing one.
    However, I went through 13 of the jelly packs in 10 days and Dr STILL prescribed another box. I have bad adhesion problems due to oily skin and temps over 100 degrees F daily here. So I have to go outside to smoke a cig :smoker: (by choice) and gets sweaty etc. But SWIM Dr is very cool and very understanding. SWIM hopes doctor will keep patches running at least till the final pain clinic evaluation, and hopes he can talk pain clinic into maybe 50's with breatkthru meds stronger than 5mg oxycodone (come on; SWIM or any other opiate tolerant person needs like 40+mg for a bee buzz! :D
    So-will wearing patch 1 and 2 as prescribed make SWIM feel better? Any ideas how to speak to pain management people and get them to keep current meds or even bump up?

SWIM suffers from chronic pain due to fibromyalgia (confirmed) which is why the round the clock patch, but also has chronic TMJ for 7 years (but not the $15,000 CASH the expert wants to do the surgery needed to correct; ins company will not TOUCH any claim involving TMJ; not even an office visit!). Also I have chronic bi-lateral plantar fascitis (sp?) which the fibro really kills since fibro is a condition/disease of the tendons and ligaments and more, and PF is all about the tendons and ligaments in the feet!

The meds take away all pain but the TMJ, since that is basically bone rubbing against bone since I have pretty much no cartilage disk left that should be between the mandible joint (jawbone) and where it connects to the skull/side of face. rub rub scrape scrape. shizzle-sorry to ramble, I am fu**ed up. thanks