1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Length of time of marijuana in system

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by xMeTaL HeAdx, Mar 26, 2010.

1. xMeTaL HeAdx

xMeTaL HeAdx

Reputation Points:
    If SWIY looks on this page, http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_testing.shtml

SWIY will see that for daily use of cannabis, the length of time it will be in the system can be anywhere from 7-30 days. Now for someone in good shape, works out a lot, drinks plenty of water, thin, could that person really pass a drug test after not smoking for 7 days? Seems a bit far fetched to me. Any thoughts?

2. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It depends on several factors. Swiy has addressed many of them, but I have a couple of other questions.

Is swiy male or female?
    What is swiy's age?
    Does swiy have an idea of the amount of body fat swiy has?
    And probably most importantly, How much does swiy smoke and how often?

3. xMeTaL HeAdx

xMeTaL HeAdx

Reputation Points:
    p

SWIM Is a male, early 20s, Not sure about the body fat but SWIM is in good shape, SWIM has smoked daily a couple bowls a day for about 2 weeks. SWIM didn't smoke maybe a day or 2 in those past 2 weeks.

Also, SWIM is planning on doing the whole diluting thing too, drinking water before test, Vitamin B-2, and aspirin. Any other tips would be helpful.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    THC and friends have a tendency to accumulate in the body fat of the user over time. This means that higher amounts of body fat, and smoking chronically for a longer period of time, can increase the amount of time it takes for a user to test clean. A user who smokes a small amount once and has very little body fat could potentially test clean after only a few days. Unfortunately, there are a lot of factors involved in the elimination of THC and metabolites from the body and it's impossible to say with certainty exactly how long one needs before testing clean.

5. iamthelolrus

iamthelolrus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM smoked a small joint last Friday and has a drug test on this Friday (or at least, he thinks he does, it's the day of his interview at Target).

At the time that he smoked, he hadn't even been called back yet by Target, he's not quite dumb enough to smoke a week before an interview.

What I'm wondering are (and this is probably quite obvious) the chances of this particular fellow passing the drug test. He weighs about 250 pounds, am 5'9" ish (yeah, kinda fat), and has been smoking about once a week for a while (smoked every other day over winter and spring breaks, but spring break was probably about a month ago).

It's really not a huge deal, it's just that if he fails this one, then he has to apply for more jobs, and he's pretty goddamn lazy. If any of you ladies or gentlemen could help SWIM out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, a friend of mine has gotten several jobs where he has smoked the day before the drug test (apparently they didn't care about weed). Any chance this could happen with Target?

6. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    If swiy is only using marijuana once a week, 3 days should be plenty of time for it to clear the system.

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hey I know this dude ( who doesn't burn down but 3 times a year ) who burned down on friday did not have to work until thursday night the next week. Got nervous and bought a drug test at home test and pissed clean on monday, last I heard he was gonna burn down more often now.

8. Euthanatos93420

Euthanatos93420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    That's absurd. If anything heavy smokers are liekly to clear out their system faster than occasional users. 3 days is an absurdly short time to suggest anyone could clear out their system of marijuana for a drug test.

If you truly believe this then we're gonna need to see some references that fly in the face of every other study conducted on the metabolic rates of THC.

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    how do you figure? if thc is stored in the fat cells how a heavy user get cleaner faster? you shouldn't be giving out misinformation. a casual user won't have any build up in his/her fat. I tested clean after two days. last time I smoked was in august.

10. Euthanatos93420

Reputation Points:
    A heavy long term user will have a metabolism specifically adapted to processing the large quantity of THC that is normally in the system. This does not go away the moment one stops smoking. This is not a universal case but it is shown to have happened in many case. I"d have to do some digging to pull up the reference I had for it. If I can't find It I'll post back saying so.

ALso, you are not Swiy.

I shoudl clarify that by 'heavy' I am not refering to a person's weight but their average daily use. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim is a heavy 230 6'1. His wife once burned down on a friday a casual user too. Got a job on monday and passed the test.

I have been freakin' out reading everyone saying it stays in your system for 30 days. I do not believe it. IF, and I mean if, you only burn down once a month or less.

Go to walgreens and buy a athomedrug test for marijaunia, says it is 99.9 accurate. same type of test my work gives dipstick in urine, 2 lines means you pass even if faint and only one line means you are hot.

After 2 days swim tested clean, I do not know what to think. If you burn down every other day or once a week, I would be more skeptical. If you do you should not get a job that requires a drug screen....

Why does target require a drug screen, ridiculous in my honest opinion. What are you gonna do stock the cheetoes where the lays wavy chips are supposed to go?:crazy

12. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Euthanatos, I understand your logic, but I do disagree with it.

First, most references suggest that a single use of marijuana is cleared from the system within 3 days. A user would likely have to smoke more often than this for there to be a significant buildup of THC and metabolites. I can provide some references for this.

Second, your suggestion does not take into account the extreme lipid solubility of THC and metabolites. When a chronic marijuana smoker smokes their adipose tissue slowly becomes more and more saturated with THC. Once this occurs, the THC will only slowly leak out of the adipose tissue over time. It has nothing to do with metabolism at this point. What you are suggesting is that the THC will be converted into more water soluble metabolites before it can be sequestered by adipose tissue. And you are correct, to a degree. But there will still be a lot of THC that won't be metabolized so quickly and will be stored in adipose tissue. It's for these reasons that such a large difference exist between a single use of marijuana and chronic use. Chronic users of marijuana can easily test positive for up to 3 months after their last smoke. While a single use marijuana smoker needs only 3 days to clear their system.

And actually, some more recent findings suggest that these times may even be shorter, but I would err on the side of caution. The following is an excerpt from the NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) news archive.

EDIT: An additional reference on the subject: http://www.ndci.org/sites/default/files/ndci/DCR.VI__2.pdf
    An excerpt from this paper:
    Note the cutoff on the second reference in that paragraph. It's using 20 ng/mL which is not used for common drug tests. The common cutoff is 50 ng/mL. A lot of the research conducted in the 1980's regarding extremely long periods of detection is now being debunked due to the change in cutoff level. The 20 ng/mL cutoff was too low and a lot of false positives were showing up. I think this is plenty of references. If anyone still doubts, do some research for yourself. There's lots of references which say the same thing about acute marijuana use versus chronic marijuana use.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  13. SWIMclub

SWIMclub

Reputation Points:
    Okay, SWIM is just using logic here, no studies or proven facts. That said, if SWIY is smoking his/her ass off and has a lot of fat to store THC in, then SWIY ought to be high days later, or GET high when excited, when adrenalin rushes happen, when working out, etc. But that's not the case. So maybe someone could explain to me how there are detectable levels retained over a long period of time, but one doesn't get high all over again when working out or somesuch.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  14. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Fat stores with THC does affect a high, but it does not make one high. Keep in mind that for many drugs the levels may be high enough to trigger a positive on a test when the subject is not high at all. A lot of factors go into this. One has to consider that tests also detect metabolites (which usually don't make a subject high) and the detection limits are lower that the amount needed to make one high. Think about an extremely low dose of a drug which may show up, but is not enough to make a user high.

Fat stores with THC does affect a high though. Chronic smokers get high faster and with less marijuana than naive users. This is because the fat tissue has to reach some degree of saturation before the THC becomes available to float around in the body. This also explains why some people can't get high the first time they smoke, but consecutive times they may.

15. SWIMclub

SWIMclub

Reputation Points:
    Interesting. SWIM has plenty of fat supply, and is a lightweight. On the other hand, SWIM's friend is very thin and can smoke several times as much without being overwhelmed by it.

16. JackARoe

JackARoe Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM drove himself nuts doing research and research about how long the metabolites of THC stay in SWIM's system. The word was 7-90 days which is maddening when someone wants to know. 90 days? It's amazing what people read on the internet.

SWIM took matters into his own hands when he did smoke regularly and daily so he remembers well. SWIM could not rely on heresay, so testing strips that many offices use to test were purchased. Here's what SWIM found. SWIM is thin and has a fast metabolism. 11 days after regular daily use tested SWIM clean. However, 3 days out SWIM drank lots of water and tested negative. 8 days out no water and a solid urine tested positive. It wasn't till 11 days that SWIM could count on a negative. Since then a single use in a month could be negative in 3 days. Twice a week would take 7 days.

The point is everyone is different and looking on the internet won't work. Know yourself. Know how your own metabolism is. Someone else may be different. But one thing is for sure, SWIM has never heard anyone take the fullk 30 days even after very heavy use. 21 days tops.

17. Euthanatos93420

Reputation Points:
    This has to do with metabolic rates. Swiy's skinny friend has a higher metabolism and processes chemicals faster than Swiy.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Some cannaboids might be removed from the bloodstream by the minuscule amounts of lipids present but smoking is the absolutely MOST DIRECT ROA to the brain. It is faster than IV. The chemicals reach the brain long before the cannaboids of any smoker of any weight ever have a chance to be absorbed into the body's lipids.

18. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It's really not just fat, it's lipid containing tissue in general. In fact, there are lipids in all cells (cell membranes and various other cellular components are made of it). The extreme lipid-solubility of THC has been demonstrated and there a numerous studies on the pharmacokinetics and sequestration of THC in brain tissue and other high-lipid containing tissues. Furthermore, the fact that marijuana users extend detection times well beyond that of most other drugs when smoking marijuana chronically and that these detection times contrast dramatically with non-chronic use (which shows a more normal detection period) provides more evidence of sequestration of THC in lipid-containing tissue.

Smoking causes the drug to be absorbed by capillaries in the lungs into the bloodstream. The bloodstream then carries the drug to the brain. There's plenty of exposure to lipid-containing tissues before even getting to the brain, but if that isn't enough consider the brain itself. Glial cells outnumber neurons and are composed primarily of lipid (google "Myelin").

When a drug is sequestered (that means held or captured) the drug is not free to interact with receptors to cause an effect. When a drug is released from being sequestered it may become sequestered again. It's an equilibrium (Le Chatlier's?).

This is getting off topic. We can continue via PM or in an appropriate thread.
    This is all pharmacokinetics, you may be interested in doing some reading on the subject.

19. SWIMclub

SWIMclub

Reputation Points:
    You saying that it hits the arteries from the lungs, which is the most direct, shortest route to the brain, as opposed to infusion in a vein? Because otherwise, they're both essentially IV -- one administered into the bloodstream via the lungs, the other via syring or catheter. But it doesn't much matter. Both do the job quite adequately. The gold-plated bullfrog under my bed thanks you.!

20. Euthanatos93420

Reputation Points:
    IV gets diluted in the bloodstream before it goes to the heart and is diluted again before it goes to the lungs and back to the heart...once again....and then hits the brain. SMoking is lungs->heart->brain.