Lesser of Two Evils : Benzodiazepines or Opiates for severe pain

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by Fantasian, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    I have explained SWIFantasian's situation in several posts but here it is in short.

He gets severe acute abdominal pain down and left of his belly button, he is still undergoing many diagnosis for it and has had many tests but still to no avail. The pain is excruciating and needs some sort of treatment. This is where SWIM's decision becomes difficult. The pain lasts for 8-12 hours. The pain occurs EVERY WEEK!!!

SWIM can take narcotic opiate pain relievers like morphine and such but then he suffers from physical withdrawal for 3 days and psychological withdrawal for a further 3 or 4 before the whole experience startsagain. He cant live like this! For this pain relief he also mustgoto hospital to get IV morphine every week!

SWIM's other choice is thathe goes to hospital and is given IV benzodiazepines normally a large amount and a mixture of diazpeam and lorazepam which literally sedates him so much he's knocked out for 12 hours. I have never had a benzo addiction but sees this as a potentially dangerous way in as well as not wanting to have to use either of these drugs for pain. Also this makes me very depressed and drowzy for 4 days.

Basically I am wondering if anyone else has a further alternative as SWIM can't carry on living like he is. SWIM can't fight through withdrawal and then be ok because he has to redose to cope with the pain.

I have tried Cannabis with little effect, Ketamine but it just made him sick, nitrous oxide which helped a bit but wasnt strong enough.

Thanks for the input guys.

Basically im wondering which is the worst of the two from a danger point of view of withdrawal and long term use?

ANd also if you can offer a suitable alternative...

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I would first say that in choosing, he would go with the painkillers. withdrawal isnt PLEASANT from them, but its not potentially lethal like it could be from benzos. swim's next suggestion is to do some research on potentiation and neurological pain. I am aware that dxm can potentiate opiates' analgesic properties in subrecreational dosages, meaning that less would be more when it comes to using painkillers. since the pain seems to be neurological in nature, swim reccomends talking to a doctor about that, since alternative therapies like acupuncture, electrostimulation of muscles and nerves, etc. can be a great asset in helping to reduce swif's prescription intake.

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I will also look up what he knows on these topics, and let SWIF know if he finds any other helpful information. however from this post it sounds like the problem is arising in the spinal nerves, and that this means there are alternatives to these two paths.

4. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    How did SWIF administer the ketamine? You say nitrous oxide helped a bit but wasnt strong enough, this would lead me to belive that a stronger dissociative may be the answer and ketamine is a good one. Does ketamine always make SWIF sick or just with one type of administration? There have been post here about ketamine being used as an effective pain killer. And if ketamine is not an option what about PCP? in my area PCP is widely available in the form of dippers, a cigarette laced with PCP, has SWIF considered this?

It seems SWIF is in a terrible situation and i feel for him. If I had to choose between the opiates and the benzos he would choose the opiates, because at least he can somewhat finction on these and hell if you have to be doped up on a daily basis opiates are nice. And from what i hear the withdrawals are better than that of benzos.

I wish you good luck and hope you find a suitable solution! =)

5. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    Ketamine insuffilasted had no analgesic effects just created nausea. SWIF has never used Ketamine IM or IV as he's afraid of getting too potent effects without a sitter. SWIF has never used PCP, he heard it was quite addictive and has little knowledge of it.

Thanks for the advice on the opiates it's the same conclusion SWIF came to:)

Cheers

6. dyingtomorrow

dyingtomorrow Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Without a doubt a physical dependence on opiates is much safer than benzos. A lot of horrible things can happen as a result of benzo withdrawal; even under hospital care a friend of mine suffered severe cognitive problems and a mini stroke lasting 2 months.

Perhaps look into taking ketamine before/shortly after your opiate dose. Studies have shown it can prevent opiate tolerance if taken in conjunction, so it might take the edge off or prevent withdrawal. Also in my experience, ketamine is the only drug capable of completely negating the symptoms of opiate withdrawal, so if you haven't tried that it may be worth a go.

7. david43211

david43211 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    I slightly disagree with the others. It seems like you're not prone to Benzodiazapine addiction as much as you are to opiates. With that being said, it's probably safer for you to take Benzos. Even though the withdrawals are worse, you seem less inclined to OD on benzos. If you think you couldn't handle benzos as well then absolutely choose opiates over them.

8. FLINCH

FLINCH Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This guy I know said that to form dependence some one has to increase the amount of the drug to get the same affect. Tolerance develops quickly to the sedative effects, usually within one to three weeks. But this is if a person was using daily. Using IV at the hospital may be a different animal. Plus SWIF will be monitored by hot nurses.