Health - Life after SSRI’s / citalopram / seroxati

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by almosthere, May 9, 2004.

1. almosthere

almosthere Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Having taken myslef through a horrendous withdrawal from 10 years of being perscribed seroxatine, propanalol and citalopram - I would like to hear from anyone who can talk with regards to how they have got there life back together since leaving the drug in their past.

All that suppression has got to come out somewhen and I just wonder if there are any specific steps to be taken to change a lifestyle those drugs had got me used to because I now have TRUCK LOADS OF ENERGY and am not to sure how to manage or direct it??????

2. ShadyMilkman

ShadyMilkman Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm not sure where to go with that. Being on SSRIs myself, I'm supposed to get off them later this year, but we'll see.

I would think channeling the energy into something constructive would work: music, art, fitness, gaming, whatever you like. In terms of management, perhaps meditation or something similar may work.

3. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Spend time with friends and be happy. You are accomplishing something big kicking those pills. Prescription pills can be a bitch of an addiction, even the non-adicitve ones, for me.

4. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Pills are pills. Whenever I see one, I want to put it in my mouth. I guess like an addiction i'll never get over.

5. Ximot

Ximot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SSRIs are as addictive as anything else, even though they sort of bend the rules of the pleasure principle.

They are psycho-cosmetics, and if you feel that you cannot cope without them, then that is an addiction in he true sense.

I was on prozac, and then on lustral/zoloft, and later on zispin, and then back on prozac... all in all for the best part of 5 years, and I am glad to say that I stopped this vicious circle around 5 years ago.

What helped me was basically completely changing my surroundings (I moved to a new place far away, and I figured, if I change everything, I can also change this).

It was extra hard for over a year, but it got better and better, and I would never go back.

I felt that the SSRIs seriously stunted my self-development / self-knowledge, my emotional register, and they gave me all sorts of physical side-effects, plus some extra mental/spiritual/behavioural difficulties. It may be hard at first, but it is surely possible to kick them.

GOOD LUCK.

I guess the most important thing is to believe in yourself. Trust that you can do it. You can do anything.