liver protection?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by reese1234, Feb 21, 2007.

1. reese1234

reese1234 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    does taking milk thistle or any other liver protectents lower the damage that acetamedaphine causes? What can I do to lower the bed effects if all I can get is vicodin that has that in it?

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    The best way of preventing liver damage from acetaminophen is to avoid taking it in higher than recommended dosages. If You is going to use vicodin recreationally he should preform a cold water extraction. Use the search engine for more information.

3. EuPhOrIa89

EuPhOrIa89 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    CWE like Abrad said....Swim first sucked at CWE but after a few attempts I am getting the hang of it now.....or talk you doc about switching the prescrip of Vics. SWim did and is now getting 5/325. Question for all though when swim just picked up the prescrip Swim noticed that the Norcos were white but with red spots. Whats the red spots? Thanks!

4. ojos_de_brujo

ojos_de_brujo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim recently found out (N-)Acetylcysteine can protect the liver from damage. It is used IV in case of paracetamol overdose.

'acetylcysteine acts to augment glutathione reserves (depleted by toxic paracetamol metabolites) in the body and, together with glutathione to directly bind to toxic metabolites. These actions serve to protect hepatocytes in the liver from toxicity due to paracetamol overdose.'

It also has renal protective properties.
    More commonly it is orally used as a mucus dissolving therapy.

I would definitely not recommend acetylcysteine instead of CWE, but thinks it might help after drug or alcohol use. I have liver pain sometimes after using drugs or alcohol and acetylcysteine solves this for her. It is definitely more powerfull than thistle, which has more of a subtle, liver protective effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017