Experiences - Local headshop capsules and crushed leaf

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Roxie, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Roxie

Roxie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Before I review anything, let me just clarify what my goal was (for I may rate things differently than others). I use kratom for it's opiate-like effects, as I have carpal tunnel and hyper active lumbar muscles. I've found that kratom has helped better than synthetic opioids, but that's just my experience. My experiences are based on my pain relief, as well over all mood and other effects.

Capsules

Ok, so a couple nights ago I received some capsules of kratom from a friend. I noticed the bag it came in had little info, and she said she had gotten it from a headshop locally. Plus, the bag didn't even say much beyond "kratom capsules", and a brand name. Therefore, I assumed the capsules would contain something along the weaker strains of Maeng Da. The capsules appeared to be about the size of 1g caps, and the compression seemed to be sufficient. Therefore, each pill was about 1g of kratom (purely my own estimation).

So, first two pills were taken (with hot tea). I felt nothing in about an hour, so I took another two. I then started to feel a little energetic. Kind of like I had a cup of coffee. I took another cap 30 minutes later, and just kept popping them each half hour until I ran out. Sometimes I took one, sometimes 2. I finished the bag off about 5 hours, and roughly 12 capsules later.

After an hour of having finished off all the capsules, I felt as if I had a percocet. I had a bit of an itchy feeling creep up on me, and a small feeling of euphoria. Physically, I felt little pain. Mentally, I was stimulated. I might add it was very early in the morning, and I'd been playing video games since 10pm, up until 6am. I kind of felt wired, but my body was wanting to sleep (my normal bed time being around 4am). Nothing really amazing I can report, but definitely a noticeable effect it had on me. I think the quality control for these capsules is just really weak.

Overall experience: 5/10
    Cost at a shop: [XX]/ 30 pills (That's what I remember)

Would I ever purchase these again? Most likely not. I don't like taking excessive amounts of pills like I did, it's like a trigger for me (used to be a pill popping addict). Aside from the psychological aspect, I don't like the fact that the dissolving rate varies from each capsule. As well, I think it's just not as effective. It doesn't seem to have much of a kick, but then again the caps weren't of the best quality. I think it's not a proper product for a review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loose/crushed Leaf

I received the loose leaves the same night I took the capsules (noted above). The packaging was that of your typical headshop variety, bright and eye catching. There was no indication of it being an extract, or enhanced leaf, so I assumed it to be straight (no added alkaloids). I didn't pay for these, as I was given them by a friend. She just didn't want it. As I write this review, I've sipped the kratom tea, and am feeling the effects. So this review is about as accurate I can make it.

Let me pause and say this: I do NOT condone anyone to brew any leaves until they know the potency. Without knowing the strength, then it's possible to dose yourself improperly, and possibly get yourself sick. In my adult opinion (20 is an adult! lol), you should never dose yourself unless you know the strength/potency of your kratom. Not trying to sound like a parent, just condoning responsibility ;)

Alright! I had previously weighed the leaves, and I had 15 grams. I put a pot of water on the stove, and dropped all 15 grams in once it hit boiling (again, please do not do this yourself unless you know the potency of your kratom). After straining out my tea, I took note of the colour, took a picture to be cheesy, and let it cool. I added about 2/3 teaspoon of sugar, and sipped until it was gone.

Flavour wise, I must say it was semi-pleasant. It reminded me of cheap green tea, but very bitter tasting. The initial taste (as soon as it hit my taste buds), was sharp. However the aftertaste was quite pleasant to me. Just the flavour had a mellowing effect on me. Another sip, and the bitterness killed that, until the aftertaste hit again lol.

While sipping, I brewed a second batch with the same leaves. This time, the colour was different, much different. The first batch almost reminded me of cider. It was quite opaque, and had almost a louche like appearance (similar to absinthe after dripping the cold water). The second batch was very translucent, and looked like a very light green tea. It reminded me of the appearance of the cheap iced black tea I make. Make sense? :confused:

Once the tea had hit, I didn't have the same onset as the capsules I had taken a couple nights ago. It came onto me like a typical opiate, kind of like oxycodone. The effects after an hour have so far been like my normal opiate experiences. I current have a slight itchiness, flushed skin feeling, a lifted mood, semi-aroused, and a bit of a drowsiness (about 2 hours before my normal bedtime). One weird symptom I did notice was an on/off feeling of numbness in my tongue. I can't explain why, and I've never heard of it before from this stuff. It kind of feels like I had rubbed cocaine on my tongue (haven't done it before, but that's all I can think of to relate). I think this brew has been a success, and I feel quite lucky since I wasn't sure how strong the leaves were.

Overall experience so far: 7/10
    Cost at a shop: [XX]/ 15g

The price is too high to ever consider purchasing. However, if I could get it for free again, or obtained it at a significantly lower price, I'd consider using it again. I just don't like purchasing a single use bit of kratom. I'd rather have extra laying around just in case. The only benefit I see is that it will stay sealed, and fresh until you open it to brew.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011
    1. 2/5,
      You already started a thread about these products, you could have continued there. Price discussion is against site rule, please read the rules again.
      Dec 15, 2011
  2. YIPMAN

YIPMAN Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from portugal
    Hello Roxie!

Thank you for your contribution, but please be aware that "price topics are no longer allowed". Therefore I suggest that you re-read the rules.

Greets,
    YIP

PS: A mod has been informed to edit this issue.

3. onagainoffagain

onagainoffagain Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for the info I have been considering kratom for a while now but always kinda hesitant due to high opiate tolerances and not being quite sure if more addicted to the opiates themselves or the feeling of a good line, either way seems like i will have to keep looking for an affordable legal way to solve my back issues

4. Roxie

Roxie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My apologies YIPMAN, I did forget that bit when I wrote this. I will refrain from it in the future!

Onagain, you're cordially welcome. Honestly, I would say You should give it a try. There are plenty of retailers that are legitimate, and very helpful when it comes to herbal substitutes. I am currently working with one to make a review website on products, so people can understand more about kratom, and many other herbal substances for natural healing. I think kratom is actually affordable if You finds the right supplier, and has a budget able to fit his/her consumption needs.

Do keep in mind that it isn't "cheap" per se, but much cheaper than many black market items, and some prescriptions. I've found it to work better than synthetic opioids, but that's my body. Do what's best for you!