Long term effects of methamphetamine use

Discussion in 'Amphetamines addiction' started by likeclockwork, Apr 24, 2004.

1. likeclockwork

likeclockwork Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Snorting, smoking, shooting. Is there truly such a thing as crystalized lungs? If so, would a dr know what to look for? Heart problems related to shooting, smoking? Vein damage? Brain damage? Will I ever be the same? Is it true that now my brain has been permanantly damaged and has rerouted everything? Will I die an early death? Get alzheimers?

Also, mental health... I've had still some fleeting homicidal/suicidal thoughts. They were rampant during the first 4 month abstinance. Am I crazy now?

Thanks in advance,

likeclockwork

2. nofxface

nofxface Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I used meth for about a year and a half, up until 6

months ago. I quit without the aid of doctors or friends. when you really think of the long term effects of this retarded creation, or it's contents, it's not hard.

i found a new sense of who i was after surviving this

addiction, and was overwhelmed to find that this filthy drug( not much different from heroin) only has a 3% recovery rate. that is so sad. learn to hate it first, and you'll be well on your way to recovery knowing your such a better person for it.

3. 2-smashed

2-smashed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    you can recover and be normal again but only if u want to be. Meth is like e's it triggers the cerertonim in our brain but if u are a full on ice head then u cannot produce these naturally and u always need ice to trigger it. Its pretty sad....you can become a very depressed person
    <SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();</SCRIPT>

4. Tom Krusty

Tom Krusty Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    truth be told meth has a uncorrectable effect to somne degree on your mind and body.Your state of mind alters negatively,yet after extensive resistance to the drug i.Your mind can possibly

heal itself to a better state.Derpending on the lenght ,and amount of abuse.Some people ,that s use was unimaginally high never get back to normal state.Nerve damage can be permanent,again depending on the lev el,and lenght of ones abuse.You do take many years off your life and the damaging effects on the heart and liver it has is devastating.Smokers ,may have have lung problems that are irreversible,and?or fatal.Lastly,the dopamine glandin your brain can heal and in due time (months-yrs.)can function again,.It all comes down to the fact that ,the more and longer you use the worse it will hurt you.

1. 4/5,
      Well pointed out about the cumulative damage that can be sustained through length of use.
      May 28, 2012
  5. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Cutting backcan help some people, too. You know, so theydon't give up on life completely.

6. stv53

stv53 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Long term effects of methamphetamine

I am new to the group but, Like many of you,have many addict demons to deal with too. I am with member nonxface when it comes to crystal meth.

I too have been on it for 1 1/2 years and I am sick of it. I really don't know why I even use it. It sure isn't for the high. I am 50 now and used to use those tiny whites when I was in my late teens and early twenties. Crystal is no where near as good as those bennies. I made the mistake of thinking that it would be the same. Man was I wrong. Nofxface hit it right on the nail head. You really have to 'hate' it before you can quit.

I see the effects it's taking on this body of mine and I cringe, How can I be so stupid to take something that has no high, or redeeming quality to my mood and yet see the damage it's doing and not stop. This stuff is screwing up my feet, they tingle and get numb, it hurts my joints, my energy, my motivation, every aspect of my being and who I know I am. Not to mention the money 'stuffed up my nose' literally.

I am quiting around the second week of July. I am weening myself off and getting a mind set to quit and I can do it. So can you people. THERE IS NO PAYOFF....it doesn't do shit except 'FRY YOUR NERVES'.

Thanks for being here everybody. And lets always say a prayer for the addict that is still out there using.

7. skinnyb_1

skinnyb_1 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    gosh im only 27 but i feel the same damn way.i been using for 6 yrs now and i wonder the same crap...why i sleep more then sober people!!i cant understand why i keep doing it either i think its a mental thing lol thats so funny though because when i read your form i started laughing because i told my self after my birthday(because i dont want to sleep the whole thing away) which is july 4th i am taking 2 weeks off of work to quit im also trying to cut back but i too am DONE sick of wasting my money and lookin like crap.i wish you the best of luck and myself too keep an update cause im curious to know if it works out for you !!!!

8. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    "I sleep more than sober people."

I put off all the things I need to take care of until I tweak. Then I have the energy to do them, the stamina to finish them, and the mindset to enjoy a mundane task such as cleaning my house.

During those sober days, I just huff and puff a bit. It's not all the drugs I wish I could do, but the balance is decent.

If I could, I'd be like rapper 50 Cent, who proclaims "I stay high all thetime I smoke the good shit".

1. 3/5,
      A contentious post in that many in this thread want to be rid of the harm that methamphetamine can do. This means abstinence.
      May 28, 2012
  9. 2-smashed

2-smashed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    You just gotta balance it thats all...Even out the time for drugs and time for responsible stuff...If you can find the balance, you'll be alirte, All of us here still trying to find it, hmmmmm, wonder if it exists??
    <SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();</SCRIPT>

10. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I may be close. (But that sucks. If I had more cash, I'd be sideways every day)

11. abetterperson

abetterperson Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If it helps at all. Being sober is the payoff to getting sober. I was a meth user for 7 or more years. I think I slept for days when I first stopped. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I quit 3 times before I actually quit for good. I did have to eliminate all the people that were associated with it,including my husband at the time. Needless to say 5 years later, he's an X husband and he's still using. Your life will turn around, but it takes time. You have to learn to hate and dispise the stuff and the person that you are on drugs as well.

1. 3/5,
      good advice, on having to hate the stuff
      Sep 12, 2012
    2. 4/5,
      Straight to the point counsel.
      May 28, 2012
  12. Cocaine

Cocaine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    f**k responsible stuff, run around hte area all day doing bnes, f**king over people, and STAYING HIGH ALL THE TIME...do coke.. side effects not that bad

1. 2/5,
      Simply dreadful advice telling people to substitute one addiction for another.
      May 28, 2012
  13. str8ballin

str8ballin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You're just like my cousin man! He ripped off this kid's amp and traded it for a ball.He got his window smashed out for that one.

Then last weekend he called up a dude and told him he wanted a ball.Come to find out he didnt have any money at all and when the guy goes to hand it to him he takes off running out of the guys house! Now he's hiding out.

I wheel n deal but I have other people do the dirty work,then I take it to my guy and cop some yay.

14. HeyMama

HeyMama Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hey there,

The best of luck to you in your desire to quit speed. You are going to need a great deal of willpower. I was doing speed for about 6-7 months......and then I felt the need to quit so I moved to a different city. I used again in 4 months. Now I seem to use on a monthly basis. :( Words of advice, if you're not actively promoting your sober lifestyle....you're taking a step back.

15. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Also, if you are o.k. with not being being sober and don't feel guilty, you are lucky- many people carry this guilt around like everybody was meant to be in AA or NA. Some people like to get high for a living. LOL

I feel guilty when I always wear long sleeves to my mom's because she knows why, but long sleeves is the lesser evil in that picture. It really made me feel bad when she asked to see my arms and I wouldn't let her (she's my MOM)and I was ready to leave if she pushed the issue (she didn't). I just don't like hurting my mother- as for drugs I love to party.

16. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Long term effects of crystal meth:

Rotten teeth

arthritis

weak bones

paranoia

anxiety

depression

vitamin and mineral deficiencies

lower resistance to disease

organ damage

decreased ability to learn
    <UL class=effects-item>
    <LI>disturbed sleep patterns
    <LI>tightened jaw muscles, grinding teeth (trismus and bruxia)
    <LI>loss of appetite leading to poor nutrition and weight loss with heavy use
    <LI>reduced enjoyment of eating
    <LI>loss of interest in sex, over time
    <LI>itching, welts on skin
    <LI>nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
    <LI>excessive excitation, hyperactivity
    <LI>shortness of breath
    <LI>moodiness & irritability
    <LI>anxiousness & nervousness
    <LI>aggressiveness
    <LI>panic, suspiciousness & paranoia
    <LI>involuntary body movements (uncontrollable movement and/or twitches of fingers, facial & body muscles, lip-smaking, tongue protrusion, grimacing, etc.)
    <LI>false sense of confidence and power (delusions of grandeur)
    <LI>aggressive and violent behavior
    <LI>severe depression, suicidal tendencies

fatal kidney and lung disorders
    <LI>possible brain damage
    <LI>permanent psychological problems
    <LI>lowered resistance to illnesses
    <LI>liver damage
    <LI>stroke </LI>[/list]

1. 5/5,
      Plenty of valid reasons here NOT to use methamphetamine.
      May 28, 2012
  17. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I've been doing it off and on for 12 years, yet I've taken very good care of my teeth and hygeine during that time. Your teeth do not have to go- if you aren't predisposed to it, proper brushing and yearly visits to the dentist can sure save the toofins!! I have two or three white fillings and that's it.

18. CRACKBACK

CRACKBACK Guest

Reputation Points:
    EVER BEEN SO HIGH FOR SO LONG YOU LOOK BACK ON THE YEARS AND RELIZE ITS BEEN REALITY FOR TOO LONG.AND REMEMBER(WHEN YOU WERE MADE) AND HOW YOU FELT BEFORE YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE SO BORED YOU WOULD DO SOMETHING DIFFERTAND GET HIGH ON ANYTHING. (NA ME NEETHER)one day you and stop towonderwhy/howthe rest of the world puts all the shit, and wonder if you really can?Still tryin. and now I think I've become one of the people I used to talk about, and wonder how they got were they are.

19. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Also heart damage.

The damage to the teeth is not from lack of care. Meth affects the gums, makes them bleed, which results in poor circulation to feed the teeth nutrients that are needed.

This is one nasty drug. Addicts have to totally disassociate themselves from all aspects. Friends, area's, neighborhoods, and fill their lives with sober activities. The claws of this demon are long and steadfast. Breaking the ties are sometimes almost impossibe. Help is more times than not the only way to be free.

I know people who have kicked this habit who say everyday they have to deal with the desire and want, even years after stopping. The good news is, it can be done, and I wish everyone dealing with this luck and Godspeed.

20. CRACKBACK

CRACKBACK Guest

Reputation Points:
    you have tu hate the thingsthe shit will do to you, I know you think you are in control..... but why are you here, looking for some one like you,to make you feel ok bout all the smokin you do.you hide it from your parents. your boss, family and mates, dates and even people you hate, talkin with people to relate,spun as fuck with pickin pox on your face. Is this what you want, is this really happening in your life, I know, Ive herd it,your not that bad yet, you stll look clean and fit, youve herd afew times that youve lost weight. "wow wish i could loose some like that" If they only knew why you dont get fat. And sometimes you think your cool,"now im done. no more shadow people that move every where, and run. no more voices that cry and wisper things you cant hear. now your life is yours so make it your own, its been a year that you relize has past, but you see the white dragon, your right on his ass, just one more hit, you almost feel like the 1 time you got spent on the shit. you never will,and thats the truth of it, Its pandoras box .................... Please dont ever try this shit!