Health - Long Term Effects of Salvia divinorum smoking?

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by acid_slut, Sep 12, 2004.

1. acid_slut

acid_slut Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any proven long term effects of smoking salviA. Obviously the smoke will damage your lungs somewhat, but what about memory loss etc ?

thnx

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    As far as I know there are no long term effects proven.

3. Drain

Drain Newbie

Reputation Points:
    No one really knows, as there isn't really much research on it (both good and bad for different reasons). I wouldn't worry too much about it, just space out your trips like everything else.

4. salviaman420

salviaman420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've read in a few places... even on government informational sites
    that the long term effects of salvia are relative to those of Acid or
    LSD such that one may experience intense flashbacks

5. Antidote

Antidote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Then again, flashbacks are related to traumatic experiences, not to the chemical itself; therefore,I wouldnt be worried about flashbacks unless your having really bad trips. In which case, why would you use it more than once? Go hard. But not too hard.

6. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i read someone saying that people can go a little nuts from lots of intense salvia journeys... maybe it was a wea minded person...maybe they were lying but i can see how there could be at least a little truth to that...

...who am i?

that kind of thing

Paul

7. cyalume

cyalume Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i have smoked salvia extract maybe 5 times.. no adverse effects except a little congestion from the harsh smoke for a day or two later

8. DubOK

DubOK Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from U.S.A.
    When it comes down to it there are no true after affects from smoking it.

9. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    this is why salvia should never be made illegal, its perfectly safe and its so much fun

i wish people wouldn't try to take away our fun

Paul

10. Orbiter

Orbiter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    After my first trip on salvia (INTENSE!!!) i could not sleep the following night [​IMG]

11. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    please keep in mind that this thread predates the 2005 self-incrimination rule, please watch out for it in any subsequent posts.

b

12. informer_

informer_ Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o
    There may be no proven long term effects, But i can definitly see how you could go crazy, as you think so deep into you, your life, everything it makes you question your existence.

13. religious freedom

religious freedom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I've heard from reliable sources that Salvia Divinorum can cause hppd (trailing lights and images) and that it can cause a strong afterglow that becomes stronger the more often it is smoked. Also the flashbacks are often not strong, but just a feeling as if salvia had just been smoked. Sometimes these flashbacks can reside for months maybe years after smoking. This isnt severe enough to make my reliable source want to quit, but it could be in higher doses smoked regularly.

14. strider

strider Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sorry to say my dog contradicts what your saying here . He has been vaporizing crystals for over 3 years with zero after effects what so ever . Though he does seem to enjoy his bones more now.

15. religious freedom

religious freedom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o

lol. it might the something in the leaf. my reliable source also takes a legal xtc substitute sometimes so idk. he said all that seemed to do was make him want to throw up sometimes, even months after hed drink it. so idk if thats whats making them high all the time or what but he thought it was the salvia. i guess it can be dif for everybody. some people dont feel weed effects at all and they just use it for antidepression. thats very dif from other experiences.

16. TMM

TMM Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    HPPD is purely psychological, not physically caused by a chemical.

17. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Actually, this is something lizard is interested in. Although most of the "scare stories" out there are from infrequent (even solitary) trippers who pushed it too far, or just don't care for the effects, I wonder about what 100, or even 1,000, "breakthroughs" might do. Furthermore, the safety results amongst the Mazatec shamans is tempered by the difference in ingestion (quidded 1X vs. smoked 40X, for instance).

Since scientific study of this drug's long-term safety is doubtful (though study of some of the mu-agonist analogues is more likely), lizard is wondering about the practices and taboos associated with shamanistic use, as often "god" whispers in his peoples' ears when something is ill-advised (example: incest taboos or food taboos).

Particularly, I'm wondering about why the Mazatec are dead set against smoking salvia: smoking seems a pretty well-known method of intaking a substance. Do they have this taboo about ALL plants, or just salvia? What other methods are recommended for or against when using? Is there a prohibition against profligate use?

Since lizard is developing an interest in historical and traditional uses of ethnogens in general, this tells lizard it's time to hit the library!

18. religious freedom

religious freedom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o

So youre saying that there was a survey done where some people were given lsd and some others were given a placebo and all of them got flashbacks? i dont think its possible to get flashbacks from a drug you dont take even if you believe you're taking it. im not trying to condemn salvia, just giving an answer. if all the gov hears is that salvia is perfect they wont believe a word of it, so i think its ok for them to see something slightly wrong with it so they know were not lieing or blinded by its effects. i think hppd and flashbacks are just the mind subconsciously remembering what happened when you were on it. Then later on it gets pushed to the back of your mind like your other old memories. but idk much about it. just an educated guess.

19. GrosBedo

GrosBedo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    False.

"Dr. Henry David Abraham and Dr. Frank Duffy also found characteristic abnormalities in the brain’s electrical activity in HPPD subjects, documenting that HPPD is a disorder which clearly takes place in the brain, and not simply in the imagination."

Source : nodid dot org, look in the Disorders menu then HPPD General Information.

PS: It's very stupid to limit posting, it's just invites new users to post false arguments without evidence...

GrosBedo added 1 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

PS2: I meant it's stupid to limit posting LINKS, and it's stupid to prevent self-editing as well.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  20. ze

ze Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from bulgaria
    SWIM have had smoked few(six or more , 5x extract) times 3 years ago, and first times he didnt do it right, he didnt notice any extreme effects he has read about, but the last time he did it right, and he had a breakthrough experience, a wake up in a reality that seemed like a long time ago forgotten one, and more real than real life, it was a paranormal experience, not psychedelic one. The Girlfriend with which I smoked has had a breakthrough as well, she was as well having the same extreme paranormal experience. It was 8 minutes for SWIM, he has had flashbacks 3,4 months, especially when smoking marijuana. The flashbacks were as if I had just smoked salvia and is just at the boundary of breaking through that another more real reality, but not breaking really in the flashbacks, just the feeling before the real thing.

SWIM's girlfriend smoked few more times, in a 2,3 months apart from each trip. She began to feel more frightened as story deepens, and people in that other reality says to her that the other reality is the real one, and this here is a mere dream, and she must stay there. She said to me that the last time it was extremly hard for her to return here, and this was the last time she smoked (had a breakthrough). It's kinda the matrix story thing. The frightening thing is that I have searched the net for breakthrough stories of salvia and all of them contain one particular experience - The other reality is a more real, someone there says to you , you are safe, you have woken, you must stay.

I think that a long term smoking of salvia is only possible on the lower platues , where actually no breakthrough is made (level five or six). Hopefully it is really hard to do it right. But 0.20 gr of 5x extract is more that enough to make it if you smoke it right - on a self made bong, without water (or with), with a torch lighter, all smoked on one breath and hold minimum 20 seconds (this is the most important part). If you smoke it like joint or one more than one breaths, and dont hold min 20 seconds it will not work that hard, you eventually will feel nothing or plataeu 1 to 3 max 4. It is important also when inhaling to keep the torch ligher burning at the stuff. Not lighting it up and smoked like weed/tabbaco.

With breakthroughs it begins to be too paranormal for mind to accept, it is impossible for long term. Nothing like LSD and other serotonine type psychedelics. Only on lower platues.

Check the net for "salvia breakthrough expereince" and read whereever you want , the frightening thing is the storyline is all around the same point - something like in "the matrix" movie.... you awake from this dream - your real life, in another more real reality, and eventually someone or some entity says to you to be calm, and greets you as you have awoken ... this is insane.

... doh ...