Loperamide for withdrawal management - pleasantly surprised!

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by gotaproblem24, Aug 17, 2012.

1. gotaproblem24

gotaproblem24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.S.A.
    IM still detoxing from my pain pil run. all prescribed but got out of hand a little. I stopped it a few weeks ago.

Had a minor slip up, ended ruining my back doing some heavy lifted. had to take 2 of my vic5's just to get to work, and then 2 more to get back to my car. that was it though. so I'm mostly clean.

been feeling good aside from my xanax problem. but thats a different story. i still feel sad and bored and stomach issues. I tried some lopermide.

I am pleasantly suprised it is working I feel the withdrawal slowing going away, I took 7 pills. I really think this has a shot at making my bad wd days much better.

anyinput?

2. KCIUB

KCIUB Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: lopermide

Yep, a lot of posts on Lope. Just in my experience, It is a life saver for WD. I found 20-26mg to be a sweet spot to help eliminate any nasty GI issues.

3. Marton

Marton Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from serbia_and_montenegro

Does Loperamide solves only GI problems?Any other Withdrawals symptom that Lope helps,too?
    I used it when I was clean for an "unspecific diarrhea",1 or 2 pills a day,3 days tops.
    Red some posts recently that people are getting high with Loperamide and grapefruit juice :confused:

4. DEJA

DEJA Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

A friend I knew stopped using moderately high doses of codeine. It was about 720 grams of the stuff he'd been using continuously for a year.
    Well the bad w/d started on day 3 . He dosed up on 40 mg loperamide on day 3.Then went to sleep. About an hour or so later 95 % of the w/d were gone. He continued with that regimen for 3 days. Was able to eat 3 meals managed 8 hours of sleep at nyt as well.
    Then yesterday he didn't use the whole day and was still ok. Although sleep was a little disturbed despite promethazine.
    So today he's dosed up again but only 20 mg. He plans to reduce the dose by half every 2 nd day .

In short my friend swears loperamide works. He has been clean a week now with moderately heavy exercises thrown in and plenty of fluids and vitamins.

Of course he's not 100% ( no one ever is) but this time he's really positive on getting the monkey off it's back.

Oh! Yes and has been going to the toilet every morning and passing stool . So no issues there.

He feels loperamide works at least for moderately strong drugs like codeine. He doesn't know if it will work for heavier stuff.

This knowledge has eased his w/d and made it feel so easy.
    Of course the w/d from lope will come but hey it's not a high and with proper taper it can be managed. One can taper well when one knows it won't get him high.

The trick is to work out the right dose taper down and use it for as less a period as possible.
    That's his humble experience of course . He's no expert.

5. KCIUB

KCIUB Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Agreed with above post. Swim actually spent a lot of time researching the recreational effects of Lope because of the opiate properties. That is when I found a post from a person who claimed to kick a brutal 4 year heroin addiction with Loperamide, and again 95% of his withdrawal symptoms disappeared with it.

Swim told me about the post and it also worked for me. No you don't get high. Hard to explain but almost like you just took an opiate dose but without the buzz, meaning when you are withdrawing, it is a life saver.

6. gotaproblem24

gotaproblem24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.S.A.

well i tried it. I didn't take much. I took 3 2mg pills last night, I feel like it made me sleepy i have no idea how.

Today I took 3 pills 2 times. and i have to say I do feel better, now this could be placebo affect. I've noticed in the past 2weeks since stopping I have up days and down days. i started off the day HORRIBLE though and i dont know why. but after noon i started feeling better.

I took soem about a half hour ago, and I feel almost normal. I can't believe this is the lopermide but has to be some kind of mental placebo. I really dont feel nearly as depressed as I have been recently. Again I kicked the opiate issue, with minor problems, but just had a bored feeling inside. I have alot of other problems going on right now. none that arent fixable, but they're causing alot of undue stress combine with tapering off xanax and you find your self pretty miserable.

I definately think the worst part of opiate withdrawal is teh bored empty feeling. I dont have that tonight, so I'll thank god for tonight, maybe tomorrow will be different, but the only thing I changed was this lopermide, maybe it helps ease the sympomts just enough to make you feel semi normal.

damn thought right now I feel like I can make it.

I think the dosages people are recommendign seem high. I'd consider 3 doses of 3pills maybe if I was really down and out. I'll try to avoid it tomorrow and see if I'm miserable, if I am I'll take it and see what happens.

I'd appreciate any other stories of this, and if anyone had a positive outcome from it. this has to be in my head.

7. KCIUB

KCIUB Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

It works. Like I said 24mg seems to be the sweet spot

8. Princess808

Princess808 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

It is not a placebo effect, it does work and not just for stomach issues. Lope is structurally similar to opiates but since the medication doesn't pass the blood brain barrier, you don't get high from it, however it does help symptoms of withdrawal.

9. gotaproblem24

gotaproblem24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.S.A.

yeah. I am can honestly say I feel fine as of tonight. I was going through a paws part. No real physical pain, but more emotional depression, anxiety that type of thing.

Also its been a while since I had more than 2 - 5mg pills in a day, so maybe its also wearing off finally.
    but I felt pretty lowsy last night.

so 24mg, is 12 pills? I'm a total believer. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I never reallly had any stomach issues from withdrawal. I always took a week off here and there, so I wasn't on it constantly for any extended period of time, but still I would get severe leg pain and stuff like that. I am having a good night. very happy about that.

I'm just going to chill and enjoy a friday night of tv, without having anxiety and other issues.

Tomorrow I will do an experiment, i wont take any and see if I feel like shit. If I do and i take that lope and I feel better I'll post it. I'll post either way, this is crazy.

full disclaimer though i'm 2 weeks in, maybe its possible i'm just having a better day. but something is different, and also I had Absolutely NO high whatsoever, completely sober, just not as miserable, and bored.

gotaproblem24 added 1 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

oh right, well obviously no pain relief either, which is the reason i'm here in the first place... pain is still there, but i'm not as cranky

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  10. cdeez

cdeez Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Ive been using this in pretty low doses comparably. I would take 1 and if in a half hour I was still having GI issues, took another. I can say it had helped with that issue for sure. From experience I cannot say whether or not it eased any other symptoms.

11. gotaproblem24

gotaproblem24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.S.A.

I definately noticed a difference when I took it, compared to when I didn't. I feel like it does help significantly for me. I'd be curious to try it when I'm in the first few days of wd, to see how much it helps then, i'm past the worst point, but still seeing noticable differences from it. I dont plan to take it much longer, I dont want any rebound GI problems, so tomorrow will probably be my last day of this. Long day, I was able to relax for a while last night.

I would recommend a few pills a few times a day to anyone experiencing this type of thing.

12. Fentiful

Fentiful Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Gota,

It definitely does help throughout all stages of withdrawal even with high dosages and long term usage of opiates and opioids. I personally have found it to be less effective with issues such as boredom and restlessness during the post acute phase, especially if one has been using loperamide long term and in higher doses.

Which brings me to my next point, do be careful as loperamide can cause physical dependency and withdrawal after long term use in it's own right. I suggest only taking the lowest amount necessary for the least amount of time. Tapering down one or two every other day is also advisable for those who take it longer than a few days.

IMHO it is best used to get to a stable point during and just following acute withdrawals and to aid in helping one to keep up with their responsibilities during these time frames. There are some very good threads relating to PAWS (post acute withdrawal) and strategies for dealing with it that don't involve substituting another substance. I believe in the long run they are safer and more effective. A common aspect most addicts deal with in recovery is confronting the need and desire to take the "easy way out" and engage in a mind altering substance in order to cope with difficult situations. While loperamide may not produce the euphoria and highs of other substances, as I have experienced personally and you have found, it does indeed have an effect on mood and disposition.

Congrats on your success at stopping your DOC, keep striving for recovery with the same determination as you have so far and you should have no problem being successful. Take care and good luck, M

13. gotaproblem24

gotaproblem24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.S.A.

hmmm. I did NOT take any today, and I have been very iritable. I only took it for 2 days, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'm going to take 2, just to see. Its been a pretty miserable day so far. I'm not craving the pain pills, I am tapering down my anxiety medicine. I'm finding that to be harder that I thought. Maybe its a combination.

I may try to take a few, and see if it helps, I haven't taken any since last night. If that improves my mood then I'll report back, actually i'll report back either way.

gotaproblem24 added 15 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

I took it for 3 days. first day I took 6mg, then I took 2 days worth of a decent amount. maybe 3x-3times a day.

Today i didn't take any and I felt worse, but I'm also tapering off xanax, which was prescribed for anxiety. so its hard to tell what is causing it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  14. GeminiBadTwin

GeminiBadTwin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I am very pleasantly shocked & surprised, & quite frankly dumbfounded, to discover that LOPERAMIDE WORKS! I was prescribed daily use of 30mg vic + 75mg oxy + 45mg morphine, sometimes with 20mg codeine & the occasional IM shot of dilaudid added to the mix. I was sick & tired of being sick & tired with the Withdrawals that always came when swim's meds ran out (I had to have a dose of something every 4hrs!) & tired of going to the er for more opiates. but WDs are BEYOND HORRIBLE for swim, so going cold turkey was not an option.

I decided to suffer Withdrawals while tapering down all opiates to only 20mg oxy a day. after weeks of extensive online searching I decided against maintenance with suboxone & instead opted for a 7-day, tapering course of sub to detox from the opiates. I had to use the sub twice daily to keep the WDs at bay so I was terrified of what would happen when the sub ended. swim's last dose of sub was yesterday morning, so I decided to give the lope a try after all the positive experiences swim read - & IT WORKS!

I used 20mg (10 pills) of lope yesterday afternoon & again in the evening, & 10mg (5 pills) at bedtime. along with the meds prescribed for the Withdrawals (clonidine, atarax & bentyl) plus swim's normal xanax, I am taking swim's life back! swim still has a bit of sub left but does not feel the need to use it. the pain is UNREAL (lupus, fibromyalgia, sjogren's syndrome & a host of lower back & hip pain from disc & nerve root issues) but swim prefers this over opiate dependence any day! WINNING!

15. Marton

Marton Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Good to hear that cheap and available meds can help so much!Here a box with 20 x 2mg costs about 2$ which is petty cheap.Never tried it before in that dosage,only took one or two a day when facing a "non-specific diarrhea (my gal bladder is removed).So I'm glad that someone can help himself with Lope when the tough time strikes.
    Thanks for sharing,mate!

16. GeminiBadTwin

GeminiBadTwin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

swim also wants to comment on the constipation that does/can come with loperamide use. I find it very helpful to purchase an enema at any grocery or pharmacy/convenience store ($1 to $3 for a single enema or a two-pack). but DO NOT USE IT AS DIRECTED. instead first unscrew the nozzle & DUMP OUT THE SOLUTION in the bottle. then fill the bottle with warm water & replace nozzle securely. administer the enema while sitting on the commode. you should use about half of the bottle of warm water. do not use more than half of the full bottle of warm water even if you feel like you can. you will feel the water inside you (its a bit of an odd feeling, but not unpleasant). then simply hold it in until your urge to evacuate is urgent/irresistible. u will have a bm in less than 5 minutes that requires little effort on your part (too much "pushing" can upset your stomach & irritate already sore abdominal muscles).

I recommend doing this every 2 or 3 days, depending upon how you feel.

please DO NOT USE THE SOLUTION in the bottle & DO NOT ASSUME EITHER POSITION that the package instructs. doing either of these can cause diarrhea, repeated vomiting, nausea, &/or abdominal pain, particularly if gastrointestinal problems usually accompany Withdrawals for you as they do with swim.

hope this tip helps someone :)

17. Marton

Marton Silver Member

Reputation Points:

So,a guy I know asked me,since we were mentioning Loperamide,would it help him in this situation:
    he is using H for 5 days,total amount of 5g,like 1g/day,which he got for providing some services and he wants to use it.It will be until sunday,and from monday he has some important things to do and cannot let himself into some bad WD.Will the dosage of 10mg Loperamide or more help him to avoid any nasty wd symptoms and will be there any at all,considering the amount and short time of usage?
    I would like to help him but I had to ask here about Lope to be sure.
    He was clean for sometime before this,started using H from tuesday and planning to stop on sunday.
    TIA.

18. gotaproblem24

gotaproblem24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.S.A.

marton. I wish I could help you. I have no experience with H. I only took prescribed pain pills. I do believe it helped me when I was at my worst point. I never suffered any GI issues. maybe some SLIGHT diherea, but nothing that i ever worried about.

For me, when I took the immodium, I did notice some positive effects. I took it for 3 days. and then stopped. In my opinion it helped me, but I never had any nasty GI problems anyway.

maybe someone can chime in here?

If it were me, Id tell your friend to stop today and try the lope tomorrow, and see how he makes out.

just a suggestion.

19. Fentiful

Fentiful Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Marton,

Loperamide, seems to be effective for almost all opiates/opioids in the right dose for helping with between 80% to 90% of WD's, with it having the least impact on energy or tiredness to an extent for the first day or two. I have found personally that the lethargy is still manageable, and am able to get up and function whereas without the lope, for the first 2-3 days I can barely manage to make it out of bed. A 5-hr energy drink can help immensely without the crash of most energy drinks.

My situation was opioids, not heroin specifically, but high dose fentanyl and oxycodone, hover I have come across more than a few heroin addicts who have claimed it does indeed help.

IMHO I don't think 10mg is going to be very effective, but starting lower and titrating is the best policy as everyone's body is different. I've found effective doses to be starting in the 12mg to 30mg dose range with 20mg being the average stabilizing dose. It seems to work best for me by potentiating it with 400mg of cimetidine, an over the counter acid reducer, taken 30-45 minutes before hand.

As with all opiates, the lowest dosage one can manage their symptoms at is best, especially if a taper becomes necessary with long term use, meaning more than a few days or a week.

Loperamide has been studied extensively and seems to be very safe even at higher doses but is not recommended long term as gall bladder issues, bowel impaction, and other serious issues may occur, as well as withdrawal syndrome upon ceasing. It can be a reasonably safe, cost effective and easily accessible aid to those wanting to get off of opiates/opioids, so I don't see much harm it taking it reasonably. It is arguably easier to taper from as the majority of users do not experience any euphoria or central nervous effects from it, but it does seem to elevate mood, and alleviate anxiety and depression to a varying extent.

In short, I don't see what your friend has to lose by trying it out, and seems to be no more of a risk then continuing on heroin or a loss if it doesn't work, or only mildly helps with some symptoms. Hope this helps, and if your friend does try it, encourage him to share his experience. Feel free to ask any other questions as I have a lot of information and personal experience in using this as an aid. M

20. Marton

Marton Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Guys,thank you for your replies.
    I told him also to quit now,but he is determined to use the remaining H until Sunday and then quit.
    I never used Lope during my Withdrawals cause I didn't know it could help.Told him I will get some info and that I expect some feedback from him so I could share it here.
    So,any particular suggestions about dosage?Like I said,it's about 5-6g of H,during 6 days and then stop,without tapering down,since it's like 1g a day.Anything else combined with Lope to reduce any nasty Withdrawals symptoms?That excludes any antidepressants,benzos,other drugs,etc.,just something you can get in stores or pharmacies,without prescription.Any advice is more than welcome.

Marton added 1424 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

A question:
    So,tomorrow he will use the remaining H and he works on Monday.When is best to take the Lope and how much?Your suggestions are worthy since neither I or him never used it to help with WD.Should he take first amount like monday morning,maybe 16-20mg,all at once?
    Some timetable/amounts considering Lope from you guys would be great.Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012