1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Oral use - lorazapam (ativan) under tongue?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by ryanbobtimjoe, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ryanbobtimjoe

ryanbobtimjoe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    i got a prescription for ativan (lorazepam) but i have been told by the pharmacist to swallow when i take it, and it wont dissolve like the ones i was given in the hospital. but when i did put it under my tongue, it dissolved and tasted the exact same as the ones in the hospital? will these ones still work when taken under tongue ?

2. Mr Gregoire

Mr Gregoire Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    taking under the tongue (sublingual) is a faster route of administration. I can tell you from experience that it will work. Whatever doesnt get absorbed will go down your throat eventually so go for it. Go easy though please start small.

3. ryanbobtimjoe

ryanbobtimjoe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    so it doesn't need to go through the liver to work to its full effect? why would they tell me they wont dissolve when they do the exact same!?

4. FunkyNotAJunky

FunkyNotAJunky See, what had happened was... Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from La La Land
    i take ativan for panic attacks. letting it dissolve under your tounge increases the onset of action for me, it will start working in 10 minutes instead of 20 minutes.

the reason it works faster is because when you swallow a pill, it goes through your liver before it is delivered to your bloodstream. when you let it dissolve under your tounge, it bypasses your liver and goes into your bloodstream through mucous membranes.

5. SomniphileXII

SomniphileXII Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    One may definitely dissolve a PO lorazepam tab intrabuccally or what ever ROA they wish to attempt minus you know... like PR, intranasal, etc. Lorazepam has a low lipid and water solubility. The enzymes in ones mouth acts as a way to break down the chemical to be diffused and distributed into the bloodstream.
    One should do SL in my opinion...
    My cat's done clonazepam PO sublingually so I don't see why it wouldn't work with lorazepam PO.