1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Losing veins, what to do?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Beltane, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Beltane

Beltane Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 28, 2005
    from California, U.S.A.
    SWIM's getting a little better at IV, but for some reason he often
    loses them after part of the shot. He knows this b/c he usually
    pauses to pull back 2x during a full injection cycle. He
    insterts the pin fully, so it doesn't seem possible that he's in and
    then somehow thru. also, he'll pull back slowly waiting to
    re-register and that doesn't happen.

Sometimes, after pulling the needle out some he'll "look around" for a
    vein, which he's just waiting for someone to tell him is a really bad
    idea, but what should he do?

The pamphlet from the needle exchange place told him that if you lose
    it partway thru, and you're shot that's left is very red, you should
    pull out and split into 2 shots so they're less red and you can tell
    again if/when he were to register.

- B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Be-Bop

Be-Bop Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Sep 28, 2005
    First off, it's probably NOT a good idea to push the needle all the way in! I have already posted on my best advice on 'how' to inject- use the SEARCH function, but in terms of having blood inyour fit before completion of your shot...add some water so that the blood won't clot, that is the more important reason to add water, you will be able to tell if you're in by a vacuum not being created when you pull back. I find the best way to keep the needle 'in' is to take note of how much 'steel' is showing when you initially find your vein & then CONCENTRATE on keeping that same amount visible all the way through....

Be-Bop [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

See "I.V. Question" for above mentioned post...Good luck!!!Edited by: Be-Bop