1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Low down on some of the most common anti-depressant med's....

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by Unsolved, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Unsolved

Unsolved Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    My aplogies I did not see that this info was just posted as a link from the same site just a little bit ago. I think it's a little easier to find them on here since they are all here on one page. Anyways, here is a run down on the most common SSRI drugs perscribed. Sorry that it's so long and detailed.

Originally compiled by Jerod Poore for his own fantastic site (unfortunately our rules do not allow linking to this site).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2007
  2. OccularFantasm

OccularFantasm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM has a great deal of experiance with pharmacueticals. As far as antidepressants, swim has tried celexa only to find it mad swim very very sick and induced a migrane. With Zoloft, SWIM found results similar to having a few beers mixed with amphetamines. Then for a while SWIM was on methylphenidate while on zoloft. Same effect except jumpier and noticable strain on the heart. SWIM found as far as euphoria and psychotropic effects go that zoloft mixed with a blunt and a few shots made SWIM trip harder than he had ever in his life(at that time, 2nd hrdest overall). This mixture also causes huge dehydration, as SWIM had to crawl from the toilet across the rug and climb up a huge rocky muontain with a sink atop. After desperatly drinking water from swims hand the trip faded. SWIM advises that this combonation is very dangerous and much caution should be used for anyone attempting to do this. Alos the trip was markedly different than most trips. SWIM for once saw only stuff thatyw asnt there, as opposed to just seeing some colors and such. SWIM has only tripped harder after smoking a hit of laced buds which induced swims world tp turn pink and black, and have obvious dissociative effects. Also swims sense of sound was quite unique, as he was atr a concert and coulndt hear the music. Swim hopes this may help.

Research has also shown that with zoloft mixed with tiny doses of lsd causes all side effects to dissapate.
    I know thats not related to what i was saying before, but i feel it belongs in this thread, as it specifically relates to common antidepressant medications.

3. OccularFantasm

OccularFantasm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I couldn't find the edit button, so I am sorry for the above typos.

4. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from antigua_and_barbuda
    This info needs to be checked... Some of it is wrong to say the least.

Celexa for one is known as an SSRI that causes the least weight gain.

Prozac, and zoloft seem to be the worst for weight gain.

5. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    ^^^ If there's misinformation here then can you correct it?

6. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from antigua_and_barbuda
    I only read through the Celexa part, but if the main "con" of the drug is listed wrong im sure there is plenty more inaccurate info.

Whats the point of a sticky with wrong info... People look to stickys and count on them being reliable.

7. dreamstodiffer

dreamstodiffer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Paxil's great, (sarcasm here) I am sorry I have ever started the stuff, I am perscribed 60 mg of paxil, 300 of wellbutrin, and a couple of other non ssri's to deal with the side effects of these ssri's. I would suggest take anything but paxil if it even helps in the slightest. Keep in mind I started taking paxil CR 12.5 mg at 20. Then for like a year the clear the CR from the market and I was w/o for a bit. HELL. Then was perscribed reg release paxil 20 mg. I have been slowly increasing to 60mg, I am 26 now, if you calll that slowly. My doctors (yes plural) want me off the stuff, and hey I want to get pregnant sometime, I was on Prozac for like a month last year to try and quit paxil. Never Again! Jesus, Now I get panicy even thinking about going w/o it. It seems to be the worse ssri to get addicted too. Heh, I takes meds for disorders and meds for my meds.
    Bottom line, I would suggest trying ANYTHING and EVERYTHING before resorting to paxil, even though it is very effctive, I may be on it for the rest of my life. And if I miss a dose like in an hour i wanna jump off a bridge, for real, the mania and depression drives my certifiabley insane.
    Sorry for preaching, I just don't want anyone else on this path
    Also I have no sex drive and gained 200+ pounds on paxil.
    And I still cut no matter what.

8. e4rolls

e4rolls Newbie

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o Male
    Thank you, an actual non-biased person on this site that does'nt demonize SSRI's and stimulant prescriptions and makes actual sense. Sweet!:thumbsup:

9. lloydsLSD

lloydsLSD Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o Male from U.K.
    How many people who have had bad experiences with SSRI's, or write negative stuff about them, have actually used them without consuming anything else besides?

My friend was depressed for a long time and he tried Prosac and other anti-depressants but they didn't agree with him, or help at all. But that was probably because of my friends alcohol and drug intakes at the same time. But now he is on just 10mg of Cipralex daily and the benefit is massive. He can look on the positive side of life now and he is much more positive about his life.

One negative aspect for him is that he doesn't care about anything as much and finds it hard to get motivated.

10. lloydsLSD

lloydsLSD Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o Male from U.K.
    It seems like doctors in the US are much more relaxed about giving out medication to people. From reading the posts on here many young people in America are on cocktails of different medications that they shouldn't really be on. And at higher doses than what's given in the UK.

I'm not bashing anyone but somethings not right when you have youngsters addicted to Adderall and sleeping pills, and then complaining that their anti-depressant medications don't work! I'd bet most of the doctors wouldn't even prescribe the medications if the patient was honest with them.

EDIT: I didn't word that very well, sorry. But I know from experience that anti-depressants can be life savers and it bugs me that the spoilt people who get sick due to their own drug/alcohol misuse can blame it on the anti-depressants, when they are not even depressed in the first place!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  11. Guysfriend

Guysfriend Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female
    Was on the injection for a wile, like 5 months. Than the doc prescribed Venlafaxine and Arapiprazole, .... was using for a wile, and than on and off, and now I am off it about few weeks. I had some really bad side effects. And getting of made me eat like crazy. So, I've put on,..... :-(
    now I am trying to loose it. Still don't feel the best, still quite down, staying in doors, don't feel like getting out of bed, .... and because I've put on weight made me feel more insecure. Still don't feel right in the head somethimes, and I blame the meds.
    I feel that these legal drugs, medication, is very dangeous, more than some ilegal staff. Even cocain wouldn't mess your brain up like mixing of these anti-depressans and the ones for cycosis, cycotic depresson!! Ever since I started taking these, I don't feel myself again, and am worried will I ever be myself again?! I want my brain back!! I used to be happy!!

Guysfriend added 8 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Me too, I can't really get motivated!! I have a kid, and it still doesn't motivtes me. I don't feel like anything much!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  12. heroineADDICT

heroineADDICT Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from somalia
    it doesnt mention mirtazepine or is it just about SSRIs

13. northernlights

northernlights Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female
    Can loss of libido be permeant for elexa?

14. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    loss of libido is not a permanent side effect with most anti-depressants it will go back to normal after a while month or two

15. northernlights

northernlights Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female
    thank you!

16. Evenphatter

Evenphatter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female
    i don't take anything illegal but am on prozac and propanol for anxiety. They have saved my life i have no ndoubt. however i do yawn an awful lot and gurn and twitch...i have no doubt that these very legal and socially acceptable drugs are as potentially damaging (and useful perhaps) as illegal substances. Apologies if not felt adding to discussion...just my half pennorth (as my gran would say)

17. Rin_Weh

Rin_Weh Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o Female from Canada
    SWIM posted something here re: effexor withdrawals etc...along with some links to experiences.
    Why aren't they here or are posts with links looked over by a moderator first.
    Don't know if SWIM's supposed to ask here but since this is the topic and thread they were posted in she's wondering why they aren't here.

18. Kalendren

Kalendren Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM took Prozac before being prescribed Ativan, and it did nothing. Literally. For SWIM, it had no effect whatsoever on his depression and anxiety. He experienced the annoying, bad side effects, like weight gain and nausea, but none of the ones that helped. He took Prozac for about a year before finally telling his doctor that it wasn't doing shit. SWIM was weaned off Prozac and eventually given Ativan, which works much better, though it still doesn't work all that well in SWIM's opinion.

19. Hardy Bucks

Hardy Bucks Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from ireland
    what about mirtazapine, anyone else on it?

20. Zoe_27

Zoe_27 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I believe this information came from the CrazyMeds website. The author, Jerod Poore, along with many of the site's members are patients with a great deal of knowledge on psych meds. The information there is taken from a written source (I believe a book by drs.), as well as anecdotal accounts from patients, as much of the published info comes from the pharmaceutical companies that make the drugs, and is frequently biased. Clinical studies can be manipulated to produce certain outcomes, while some information is played up and other, less flattering findings, may be down played. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary. One person's savior can be another person's hell.