1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Pharmacology - Loxapine : More of an atypical or typical antipsychotic ?

Discussion in 'Antipsychotics' started by OrbitalSPIN, Jan 1, 2010.

1. OrbitalSPIN

OrbitalSPIN Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    As a hobbie and for pesonal reasons SWIM researches Pharmaceuticals. One in particular has caught SWIMs attention. It is an antipsychotic called Loxapine, Its a member of the Dibenzoxazepine class, its chemical structure is 2-chloro-11-(4-methylpiperazin-1-yl)dibenzo[b,f] [1,4]oxazepine. Its structurally related to Clozapine and it has antidepressant effects. When Loxapine is metabolized in the body some of it is metabolized by N-demethylation to Amoxapine, a tricyclic antidepressant. Its been argued amoung many Pharmaceutical researchers and some Doctors that Loxapine behaves more like an atypical antipsychotic than a typical antipsychotic. SWIM agrees with this notion of Loxapine being an atypical and thinks that this medication should be given a second look to treat some Psychiatric problems. Question#1: Although Loxapine is classified as a typical antipsychotic does a FOAF think its more of an atypical antipsychotic ? Question#2: Does a FOAF think that this medication should be given a second look amoung Pharmaceutical researchers and Doctors ?

2. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Loxapine kind of sucks. Based on the side effect profile, I'd consider it a typical AP, though iirc it's closer to clozapine than, say, haloperidol. It's possible I'm confusing it with something else, though.

My humble opinion is that clozapine isn't that bad, as long as one doesn't have a problem with weight gain or white blood cells, and I wouldn't consider it last-line therapy. But loxapine has all of the dyskinetic, NMS, hyperprolactin type crap going on, and I'd place it in the last resort category.

I don't think I've ever seen it prescribed, and in class it wasn't even brought up. Typical or not, it's one of the crappier APs.