Health - LSD and Epilepsy

Discussion in 'LSD' started by geOba, Dec 1, 2006.

1. geOba

geOba Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    I am about 28 years old. Since a few weeks he is suffering epilepticus. Now he is waiting for the diagnose to know which kind of epilepticus he suffers. Is it possible that the epilepticus has been caused by frequently using Lsd over the last years? I also have done other substances in his life, but the last years he is mostly experimenting with lsd. He also smokes a lot of weed. About 2 grams a day...

tnx 3รถ

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Lsd and epilepticus

There has never been any linkage between LSD and the development of seizure disorders - though myths (urban legends) to this effect have been in circulation since the 1960's. Neither has cannabis been so implicated.

3. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

Hallucinogens in general lower the seizure treshold. Seizures in general can increase the risk on further seizures. Hallucinogens do not cause epilepsy. However when epilepsy is diagnosed, one should steer clear of hallucinogens.
    For more information, please use the search engine as there are some very informative threads on the subject.

4. geOba

geOba Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o

tnx man...

Do you believe it's safe for SWIM to keep on using LSD by occasions?? Once in three months for example. Mostly I takes a rather low dosage (Maximum something like 1 blotter). Not being able to trip any longer would be very hard for SWIM, while acid is his little "problem child" ...

5. geOba

geOba Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o

ok, tnx alfa.. i didn t see your post while i was writing my second one. So the best for I am to stop using any hallucinogens ???
    I will do further research by using the search engine ...

6. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

Yes, that is best. Using hallucinogens means risking more seizures, which means risking increasing the level of seizures.

7. Launcelot

Launcelot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Does LSD lower seizure threshold?

The internet isin't very clear as to whether or not LSd is considered something that makes someone more prone to seizure who is already prone to having them.

I had a random seizure a few weeks ago. It turns out it was probably caused by a benign tumor they found in my brain. My question is is there any logical reason LSD would make me me more prone to having another seizure, assuming that I'm already prone to seizures whether their from the tumor or not.

8. Hyperspaceblastoff

Hyperspaceblastoff Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Canada
    Re: Does LSD lower seizure threshold?

yes they do

9. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Does LSD lower seizure threshold?

Quite. If one has a focus for abnormal electrical activity (ie: brain lesion, of any sort) then taking ANYTHING which may lower seizure threshold is going to carry more risk than if there was no lesion.

Bear in mind that LSD has stimulant properties, therefore potentially has the risk to lower seizure threshold. It can also cause temperature control issues (also potentially lowering seizure threshold). Anxiety/stress can also predispose to seizure activity, so drugs which could induce such should also be avoided.

10. Nebiro

Nebiro Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim will soon get his hands on a liquid LSD vial.

He really wants his friend to try it with him. The thing is, his friend has epilepsy (Grand Mal).

His friend has done psilocybin (up to 3 grams), ketamine (up to 0.1g), dmt (enough to have a mild breakthrough), and a low dose of pure mdma (approx. 100 mg). He also drinks alcohol sometimes and smokes weed every day.

What would be the dangers of taking LSD (assuming it's not a DOx or 5-meo-AMT).

I'd also like to know if 2c-b and mescaline is dangerous with epilepsy (sorry, don't want to open another new thread for this question).

11. ReAlitY-HoLds-NonE

ReAlitY-HoLds-NonE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIM always thought that epilepsy was photosensative, so in theory, you's friend shouldnt have any difficulty as any lights that occur during a trip are usually perceived rather than actual. Although I am shooting in the dark, surely you's friend should know whether its real flashing lights or something such as a perceived amount of flashing lights.. hopefully you's friend is in the clear

12. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    RHN: Some forms of epilepsy ARE photosensitive, very few in fact. Suggesting that someone with epilepsy "shouldn't have any difficulty" is seriously naive and potentially dangerous advice

LSD is a stimulant, stimulant drugs reduce seizure threshold, and increase risk of seizure. LSD can also induce temperature changes, again, which reduce seizure threshold. Quite apart from anxiety (also sometimes LSD induced), which again, can trigger seizure activity.

I cannot recommend that ANYONE with epilepsy take a risk with psychostimulants. They may be fine, they may have a seizure and get anoxic brain damage. Worth it?

13. Desertfox

Desertfox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM Has enjoyed both lsd and mushrooms. but I has had an occurence on mushrooms where he passed out and his girlfriend told him he was on the ground seizuring. There is no medical evidence that suggests mushrooms cause siezures but I had something hapeen to him that in all accounts point to it being a seizure. I have never had a seizure in his life before and it was a very strange experience, and felt like complete shit afterwards. Nothing like this has ever occured or come close to occuring while under the influence of LSD to SWIM. ISHO, he feels much safer buying a ticket to the LSD trip than a ticket to fungi town but everyone's body is built differently so the same may not go for you.

14. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo has seen/experienced a full-blown Kundalini while using various psychedelics. This can be interpreted as a seizure by inexperienced observers. But if one were prone to seizures due to epilepsy or other causes, this could complicate matters greatly. Listen to Jatelka!

15. Hyperspaceblastoff

Hyperspaceblastoff Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Canada
    I saw his friend have a Kundalini when he took 1 blotter
    he thought it was lsd but later told me it turned out to be 5-meo-amt
    drugs lower siezure threshold
    its a bummer
    be careful

16. Nebiro

Nebiro Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I don't have a lot of experience with LSD. He knows way more about other psychedelic like mushrooms and DMT.

Is LSD that much of a stimulant? I mean...is it way more stimulant than an energy drink?

Swim's friend hasn't have any seizure for maybe 2 years, and he has done lots of drugs a lot of times since then.

And Panthers, can you please explain what a Kundalini is? I think Swim experienced it a couple of times if it's what I think.

17. Samadhi

Samadhi Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    LSD is a stimulant in some respects and Swim highly advises against combining 5-HT2A receptor agonists with any mental disorder, no matter how dormant the condition is. I have had friends who have had seizures on LSD who have mild forms of epilepsy. I was not there to smack the supplier around but You gets my point right?

Listen to panthers007 and jatelka, they know what they're doing.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  18. Nebiro

Nebiro Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: The Combined LSD and Epilepsy Thread

I may be wrong, but isn't LSD an 5-HT2A "agonist" and not antagonist?

Mushrooms are also a 5-HT2A agonist, and Swim's friend's neurologist told him mushrooms were no problem with epilepsy (but that he should avoid alcohol, coffee, and energy drinks...and Swim's friend still take them with no problems).

I know he shouldn't insist that much...

I guess Swim's friend should ask his neurologist about it.

19. Samadhi

Samadhi Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

sorry, late night spelling mistake, it's edited now. Still sticking to the point that if You combines LSD with a mental disorder bad things could happen, the best course of action is one swiy's stated they will do; see a neurologist and figure it out.

once the doc gives You a definite answer of yes or no he can base the experiences or lack of, from there.

If the doc comes back and says it's a go, start very small and work up to a high dose and make sure your mind is comfortable.

20. Panthers007

Panthers007 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

A Kundalini is so named as it is a form of Yoga, as well as a physical reaction that heralds enlightenment.

It starts as though a cool fire(yes, it's an oxymoron) were coiling around the base of the spine at the coccyx. This "serpents breath"(envisioned by Hindi practioners as two snakes* wrapping themselves around the spine from two opposite directions) then rises through the 6 chakras(energy centers of the body - also used in acupuncture and acupressure - Google): Coccyx, groin, stomach, heart, throat, third-eye in forehead. Then, finally, out of the top of the head.

During this the person will be bolt-upright. Their body will shiver and tremble visibly. Their eyes will roll upwards in their head. They may utter strange sounds and/words. As this is going on, their mind's eye opens and they view the "Dance of the Universe" where all things become clear(enlightenment). Cosmic consciousness is achieved.

To the outside observer with no knowledge of Kundalini - it may be assumed the person is having a seizure.

* This has been likened to the structure of DNA.