Purity - LSD: Blacklight explanation sought?

Discussion in 'LSD' started by Herbal Remedy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have had some blotters on him that he suspects may be an Research Chemical but are being misrepresented as lsd. I have read on this site that the use of a longwave Blacklight will tell swim all he needs to know. But swim being the way he is, he always likes to back statements up with facts before he bases his decissions on him.

I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable and experienced chemisty heads might be able to help him understand the reason why a blacklight can signify a presence of LSD on a blotter. I have used the search function but has only come across several statements saying it will work, but none that say why it will work. I understand if there is no easy answer, he appreciates any replies the community can offer... peace...

2. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Off the top of his head swip doesn't know the reason why the compound reacts to a longwave blacklight, but can assure you that it does. Real LSD will glow bright blueish if it's real. Be careful however, lately people have been putting stuff on white paper, which also glows under a black light.

3. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Likely this zwitterionic effect is from the amine-bridge on the lysergic acid molecule - but I'm not certain. But this is well-established. Just remember that the glowing under a blacklight-effect only tells you what is NOT LSD25. It will not conclusively prove that something is LSD25. No glow? Not. Glow? Might be.

4. Herbal Remedy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim appreciates the replies, He kind of assumed that swipink or swinag would have some words of assurance to offer :) thanks! Swim just wants to be careful because he find LSD to be a somewhat clean and not so dangerous chemical to partake in every so often, while he does not know much about RCs. I know he is always taking somewhat of a risk when taking LSD, but for some reason he feels there is more at risk when abusing Research Chemicals (especially often)... maybe his worries are just plain sillyness, but its still on his mind... thanks again for the replies, peace...

-J

5. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If it fits on a blotter the chances are it's either lsd, ald, DOx, or 5-meo-amt, or a fly compound. There's not much to worry about with any of those compounds except of course the 5-meo-amt, as people easily overdose with that. Swip has found ALD and DOC to be just as good or even better than LSD. Happy tripin, and good luck to you!

6. ChemicallyBound

ChemicallyBound Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    <Likely this zwitterionic effect is from the amine-bridge on the lysergic acid molecule >

Not quite, the glow is flourescent emmision which occurs when the molecule absorbs energy from uv ( which is a property of molecules with alot of resonance going on in species such as indole/ pyridine/ phenol rings ) and is excited to a higher state then emits energy at a lower frequency , light.

Simply, the more resonance in a molecule = the greater the flourescense

7. Herbal Remedy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks! SWiHR always finds he has a funner/cleaner/happier trip after doing his research n such, and you've all contributed a great deal of that knowledge...

SWiHR was just wondering if more resonance = a Higher presence of the substance on the blotter? He really appreciates the reply, peace...

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Actually I recall reading somewhere the premise that the most unstable part of the molecule was at the bridge. But that was a long time back. For real fun with famous zwitters' try adrenochrome. Look at it funny in the flask and it's decomposed. Very pretty stuff.

9. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Have you ever drawn on your walls with a bar of soap when you were playing hop skotch with the twins lisa and dawn? Cool how it glows aint it? Neet how when you turn the white light on you can't see a damn thing and neither can your parents. :) Turn it off with the black light on and your in trip heaven again. ;)

What do you think causes the soap to glow in the blacklight? I bet the reason soap glows in the blacklight is a similiar explanation as to why LSD glows under a blacklight.

Another fun idea is to take the soap and place it in the microwave for a few minutes. lol.

10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    LSD25 does not have a fluorescein-based dye to make you look "whiter-than-white" - or other hokey, racist bull. I hope.

11. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    Would it not be prudent for regular users to look into Ehrlich's AKA
    p-DMAB reagent? There's an awful lot of bunk floating around these days, I've heard, and the blacklight test (as well illustrated above) is not terribly reliable.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    The blacklight method will only verify if something is NOT LSD25. Other than doing that, it's pretty much useless for finding out what the monkey has in it's blotter/pill/fingernail-clipping...

The Keller Test works nicely for LSD25 - making a lovely shade of deep purple. Never tried the others kicking about. But here is a link that contains further info on the Keller test and others (scroll down):
    http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/psychedelicchemistry/chapter3.html

13. Herbal Remedy

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    well, SWiHR got a blacklight and checked his tabs. Sadly, there appeared to be no glow whatsoever (nothing more than the usuall blacklight reflection). This confirms SWiHR's suspicions that these blotters are not LSD, but some other RC. SWiHR knows that there is some kind of active substance, as they produce a psychadelic effect, just not the same as LSD (less visuals, less potent, longer onset). Oh well, looks like SWiHR will just set these blotters aside and hope for the best this summer at the festivals. At least mushrooms are around, peace...

14. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    One should be able to get close to an identification of the chem on the tabs through reagent tests. Erowid has some preliminary information on Marquis results with RCs, and there is a thread either here or on (can't remember which, maybe even both) that posts the results of a member's experiments with reagent testing on various RCs, which might be worth looking into. Just because it's not LSD doesn't mean you can't keep 'em around for use, but yes, it would be a very good idea to figure out what someone's got before someone takes it again.

15. lindsey8290

lindsey8290 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Blacklight Question!!

So. My pet dog is aware that LSD is supposed to glow under black light. That if doesn't glow, it's definitely NOT LSD, and if it does, it MIGHT be.

My pet dog has acquired some blotters from AFOAF who does LSD quite often and has done this batch, claims they are indeed quality LSD, that they get them from the same reliable source each time, etc. However my pet dog is quite paranoid about RC's so he went and bought a blacklight to test the blotters under.

The blotters are white on white, so they already 'glow' under the light but there were parts of the hits that were glowing brighter than that. That is my pet dog's question- it was just PARTS ... like little speckles throughout each hit. Does this make any sense? Would the entire blotter have to be glowing for it to be LSD? My pet dog does not know much about how LSD is laid onto blotter paper but is wondering what everyone thinks? My pet dog feels good that something IS glowing.. & would like to think that his 'experienced' friends know the difference between LSD and a research chemical. My pet dog was thinking that maybe it makes sense only parts of the paper is glowing because LSD is active in such a tiny amount anyways that the entire blotter would not need to be glowing. Thoughts??

16. gmeziscool2354

gmeziscool2354 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Re: Blacklight Question!!

well, your understanding of the black light test is sort of backwards. the black light test isn't perfectly accurate and it doesn't really prove or disprove anything. lsd is theorized to glow under a black light, when the molecule absorbs the energy of the UV radiation it 'excites' the electron and this emits photons (visible radiation). Other chemicals will 'glow' under a black light, so this doesn't necessarily tell anything. Also, barring a complicated explanation of waves, particles electromagnetic radiation, lsd 'glows' at a certain frequency, and a black light may not necessarily emit the perfect wavelength, so it can be hard to interpet what is seen.

not trying to ruin your trip, but there are several other chemicals which can be laid on blotter paper in approximate dosages of LSD. in the USA this is becomming more and more common, as large scale LSD manufacture took a serries of big 'hits' from the feds over the past several years, most publicized in kanssass. This is nothing to be alarmed over, onlythings I has seen have been good enough a less experienced SWIMMER would not even notice. To save a noob from ruining the experience, i won't mention any names, but look for psychadelic drugs with a threshold dose that can be counted in single digits (miligrams) aka <10mgs. typically a few mgs can be added to blotter paper the size of a typical l hit, so if 'reports' read "some activity at 8 mgs" one could rule this out. again, nothing to worry about its either LSD, bunk or a bad-ass drug that one won't be disapointed

17. lindsey8290

lindsey8290 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

my pet dog is well aware of the different chemcials like 5meoamt or DOx compounds that can be laid on blotter and also knows the blacklight test is not a sure thing but getting an actual testing kit is not an option. my pet dog had a research chem on his first trip and did not enjoy it at all, felt very speedy and dirty and isn't trying to do those because they havn't been studied the same way LSD has. my pet dog has also had bomb LSD on a few occasions that was tested right infront of him so he knows what to expect. my pet dog will probably just trust his friend's opinions when they say it is in fact LSD and is supposed to be very good. he was just confused about the results of his blacklight test.

18. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

And why is that?

Marquis is widely available. Reaction for LSD should go to Olive green over about 15 seconds, then fading to a brownish olive color

(thank you to Samadhi for clarifying that)

19. lindsey8290

lindsey8290 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

would need to set up a P.O. box first because mailing it to my pet dog's house is not an option and also my pet dog was planning on doing this soon and a kit might take a while to come in the mail

20. Angus147258

Angus147258 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: LSD: Blacklight explanation saught

I'm sorry to bump an old thread.

I got a couple of "acid" tabs from a friend's dealer and he's paranoid that they're not actually acid. The tabs do not glow at all under the backlight, despite normal paper glowing bright, and he said they have a rather bitter taste but he's unsure if they're from the alcohol used to distribute the LSD. They're also rather small, and crudely cut with pen lines for dose marks. On white paper. How can he know? He's never used acid before...