Culture - LSD documentary (LSD - The Beyond Within)

Discussion in 'LSD' started by raven3davis, Apr 13, 2005.

1. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I watched an awesome documentary on LSD last night. it is called LSD-The Beyond Within, and it was a great watch. It had footage of leary, huxley, hofmann, and even US soldiers under the influence of LSD. If you are intrigued by LSD this is a really good video to watch. It is 2 parts and is a total of an hour and 21 minutes long.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  2. ihateourfreedom

ihateourfreedom Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That one is a really good documentary, I liked the visual effects.
    Another good one is from the History Channel, it's called "Getting High
    - The History of LSD." They mention the use of LSD by the CIA and a
    mysterious cover-up. Look for it on filesharing programs.

The History Channel also had a good multipart series called "Illegal
    Drugs and How They Got That Way" which covered marijuana, opiates,
    cocaine, LSD and ecstasy. Also highly recommended.

3. jaguarangel

jaguarangel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Another good one is Hoffman's potion. It played on the Sundance channel for a while. It is a documentary by Connie Littlefield.

4. Eirias

Eirias Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes "Hoffman's Potion" is very good. Also there is the old Timothy Leary one called simply "The Psychedelic Experience" which they made to show students at Berkeley to "familiarize" them a bit before they conducted any acid studies or turn-ons. It consists of silouettes of a belly dancer woman with trippy visual old-school liquidy special effects projected over the dancer's nude body, and flashes between that and various Hindu deity statues, and a guy who presumably comes home from work or school to his house, sit down, very casually drops some LSD in a glass of water, and then proceeds to light some incense, sit cross-legged, and trip out while alternately meditating and looking into a mirror. There's Indian sitar music and tabla drumming in the background, and Leary narrates and "guides" the audience members/subjects throughout the come-up phase, frequently interspersing his narration with excerpts from various Eastern mystical texts.

By today's film standards it seems primitive and dated, but nonetheless it is very nostalgic and exemplifies the 60's psychedelic ethic and aesthetic very well. I can't believe that they showed this film to grad students as well as some faculty members on campus, some of whom had no previous experience whatsoever with psychedelics!

There is also a documentary in the works about Sasha and Ann Shulgin, tenatively titled, "A Chemical Love Story". It should be really good, as a film-making/producing friend of mine from Canada knows the film-maker who is doing this Shulgin project (she's Canadian as well), and he says that her past documentary work is excellent.

You may also like "Ibogaine: Rites of Passage" which is a short documentary about Iboga and ibogaine by another friend of mine, Belgian film-maker Ben DeLoenen. It has some really great footage of a Bwiti initiation in Gabon with Iboga root, and also shows some people taking ibogaine therapeutically in more clinical "Western" settings in an attempt to try and cease their opiate dependencies and/or other burdensome drug habits.

5. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    Connie Littlefield, the author and director of Hofmann’s Potion, is also making the film on the Shulgins that Eirias mentioned above. Donations are being sought to assist in completing the project – http://www.conceptafilm.com/shulgin.htm

6. polloloco001

polloloco001 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    those are both great documentaries. anybody know of any others?

7. elbow

elbow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    There is a documentary called "Aldous Huxley: The Gravity of Light"
    that is supposed to be quite good. I haven't seen it but I really want
    to.

Tags: