Drug info - LSD: Scary as H*ll?

Discussion in 'LSD' started by IDealinDreams, Apr 13, 2006.

1. IDealinDreams

IDealinDreams Newbie

Reputation Points:
    OK, so I have never taken LSD but will probably try it soon. He was very jacked and couldn't wait to hit it, but then he spoke to his friend who scared the bejeesus out of him about bad trips. This is his worry:

I recently saw the Exorcist. While the movie really doesn't bother him too much, he is worried that when he trips, he will experience the movies phenomenon because it is fresh on his mind. Maybe LSD does not work that way, but he doesn't know, and the idea of seeing terrible zombies and shit walking around is indeed a very scary idea.

I would like to know what exactly a "bad trip" entails, if a person can get you out of it, how likely a bad trip is, and most importantly, if this "exorcist" thing is at all plausible.

Thanks in advance.

1. 3/5,
      Good question
      May 27, 2006
  2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    If SWIM's understanding of the nature of the psychedelic experience is based upon the horror stories of a friend and the movie The Exorcist - then please kindly tell SWIM that he should not go anywhere near LSD - or any other psychedelic drug. Yet. I should be cruising the libraries of the world for knowledge from sources as diverse as Aldous Huxley (The Doors Of Perception) and Ram Dass aka Richard Alpert (Be Here Now). If SWIM's guide to LSD consists of walking zombies and girls puking green-pea soup, gently explain to SWIM that such is interesting and, if I have LSD - go hide it in the back of his/her freezer for a good long time. SWIM need MUCH more information before making an informed decision whether or not to discover a new world. Without the fear of puking zombies from the grave attacking. Blech! LOL!

1. 4/5,
      Good advice on LSD
      Jun 6, 2006
    2. 3/5,
      Sensible advice - what I would have said.
      Jun 1, 2006
    3. 5/5,
      Good advise. Up the ladder you go!
      May 25, 2006
  3. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Bad trips are not scary, they are emotionally unpleasent. Bad trips are caused by psychological issues that need to be worked out. LSD does not cause the kind of hallucinations you describe, not even in large dose.

Both bad a good trips can be very theraputic. The odds of having a bad trip depend on your psychological make up, as well as set and setting.

4. IDealinDreams

IDealinDreams Newbie

Reputation Points:
    OK, maybe I should explain himself better. SWIM's friend didn't tell him the Exorcist thing could occur - SWIM's friend has friends that have tried LSD, and these friends told him it is a very insane experience with a lot of perception changes - to say the least.

The guy told SWIM's friend that he was once tripping, and he closed his eyes and when he opened them, it seemed like he was standing upon the beach, whereupon he saw Jesus walking upon the water. I can't say anything for SWIM's friend's friend, but SWIM's friend (wow, this is getting ridiculous) would not lie about this.

SWIM's fear is something similar will occur - not necessarily the Exorcist or anything even resembling it, but a terrible experience of seeing indescribable horror. However, the second poster has put a lot of SWIM's fears to rest - a bad emotional experience is one thing; SWIM can deal with that. Seeing terrible things so horrible that I will cry when I recall them? No thanks.

If I'm not making sense, I apologize. It's hard for me to explain SWIM's fears properly, as they are pretty insane.

5. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you take LSD you will come to the conclusion that the statement about it looking like he was on a beach and seeing Jesus, was at best a gross exaggeration.

Psychedellic hallucingens cause hallucinations that are better described as sensory effects or distortions. Breathing walls, patterns in the carpet, pulsating colors, etc. They also cause an sharp increase in sensory sensitivity. You will see, smell, and hear in much greater detail.

6. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Not to mention mind eye imagery that can be fun to watch specially when your really focused and flow with the experience.

7. redpoppy

redpoppy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Agreed. However, it CAN happen that my friend who saw Jesus had perhaps not really opened his eyes at all. Sometimes the mind can tell you things that you cannot see and you still believe them.

I did mushrooms once and through the light of one lampost felt I had been exposed to histories of ancient egypt and a journey through time and at one point I felt she had become closer to understanding the nature of God, with God being the light that shone from the said Lamppost.

I did not literally see Pharoahs nor pyramids, but felt (through thought) that she had.

AS for Bad trips, I did LSD quite young with ONLY the knowledge that "you can see what you want to see". SWIM still believes that if you can continue to ease yoru own fears with the simple rational thought of "don't worry, paranoia/ bad feelings are all becasue of teh drug and anxiety" that the "you can see what you want to see" although not exactly true, can be very empowering when in need.

As jefferson airplane said
    "Your minds guaranteed, It's all you'll ever need" You have control over your mind (unless you are ill) if you gain awareness and realise life is three dimensional and not all happy happy joy joy.

ALTHOUGH I have NEVER had anything but Happy happy, joy joy on LSD.
    :cool:

READ more and realise that LSD is an experience. That you will lose control in a basic sense as you will see things that you are not used to and that it will last for up to 12 hours. If you are with people you trust and like and know it can (and always has been for SWIM) a wonderful experience. Also the knowledge that LSD for over 99.9999999999999999% of the time has no bad effects and I feel that the other tiny percentage is at times dubious.

I think that there is safety in knowing that you will not be ill or physically unwell with LSD.

SWIM REALLY wishes that LSD could be lagalised in small communities or controlled environments (Dream!) and feels it would be magnificent to be a LSD Guide as a professional. :D

8. quantumbrujo

quantumbrujo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    53 y/o
    Why don't you start with a low dose,see what it's like a bit,wait at least a week for any tolerance to be gone and then go for the biggie.If seeing entities scares you by the way I suggest you don't touch DMT cause unlike LSD,With DMT you hallucinate for real open eye visuals are out of this world.But I'm off topic so getting back to LSD,it's child's play compared to DMT.I've done twenty hits of acid back in the 80's when I was an acid head and even twenty hits doesn't compare to a 60mg DMT dose.

9. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    AS with any psychadelic your mood before tripping is what is going to be amplified by the drug. If you go into a trip nervous or anxious thinking its going ot be bad then most likely it will be. If you go into the trip thinking wow this is going to be the greatest experience of my life and is going ot be soo much fun, ect then you will have a great time and enjoy every minute of it.

The main rule for tripping, , is to be in a comfortable stress free environment, without any responsibilities or people who you wouldnt want to know your tripping and you will have a great trip. After a few times you can learn to control your trips in any environment and around anybody and thats when things get really fun and interesting!

10. RunRedFox

RunRedFox Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have also experienced real hallucinations with azurceans. SWIM told me that after purging for two hours assuming he poisoned himself and begging mercy from the mushrooms he had ingested SWIM stood up and was hit with a head rush that when his vision returned was no longer in his room but in the center of the universe staring down upon the heavens.

i believe the worst trips serve as the best teachers. it is all emotional but SWIM reports only 15% of his trips have been bad. so You either has a blast or learns something deep and inciteful about himself. win win in my opinion.

11. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    "The worst trips serve as the best teachers." So true.

No fun, but still, so true.

12. quantumbrujo

quantumbrujo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    53 y/o
    Entheogens are not toys to be used recreationally,they are tools for self exploration and other purposes.They are not supposed to be fun.

13. grandbaby

grandbaby Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o
    You're partially right, mon frère. However, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. (All play and no work is almost as bad.) Everything in moderation, including moderation. Excelsior! To the moon, Alice!

Changing the subject: Has the OP's monkey ventured out into the waters of psychedelic experience yet?

14. desolated000

desolated000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm going on a limb here, I've never tried LSD personally, but I think what is trying to be said is that LSD will distort your reality, not create a completely new one.

And I suggest starting with LSA, it has basically the same effects, but is 100 times less potent. This way it would be much easier to control doseage. Buy a few morning glory seed packs and eat less than 200 seeds.

[none of this is first hand info so please check my facts if you put them to use]

15. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I would say start with yourself. Take your whole (gestalt) being into hand and see where you are. Are you worried about some dreadful aspect of your peronality that you can't control? STOP. Are you afraid that you might find out something that you were utterly unaware of? STOP. Do you have a certain anxiety-riddled situation you are having to deal with now or soon? STOP. Did you just fuck the neighbor's dog? STOP! STOP! STOP!

If everything is clear to yourself, then you may wish to embark on such a journey. Check your baggage at the door.

In the immortal words of Herman Hesse from his book Steppenwolfe: "Magic Theatre. For Madmen Only."

16. als5555

als5555 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    it also depends on how much you take. if you're scared about having a bad trip then start with one or two hits, and be with people you are very comfortable with. I was worried about a bad trip his first time. My friends and I all took it and sat around for about an hour and walked into the woods as it began to hit. my friend puts on a jester cap and starts running up the path blowing a kazoo. none of us could stop laughing for atleast five minutes, and that set the mood for the entire trip. if you are in a good happy setting and good company you'll have a blast and a half.

17. desolated000

desolated000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Does this personal life thing effect everyone? I mean, looking on my life there are alot of messed up things about my life, but I don't really care about it or think it negative. Will LSD make me fucked about this?

18. Myzrael

Myzrael Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim thinks it totally depends on the person. Psychoactive drugs are quite hard when it comes to predicting the effects. In general , if you feel scared when taking them don't do it. Also be in a safe place with a sober friend you are comfortable with. If you do all that I'm sure you'll be fine. Take a small dose to begin with.

1. 3/5,
      Good info for beginners.
      Jun 6, 2006
  19. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In Swim's experience, LSD seems to amplify any feelings one would have.. So if you are anxiety ridden, worried about freaking out, etc, it will be magnified, and you perhaps can have a less than pleasant experience.. If you dose low, though, you will have much more control and be less likel;y to experience this.. Once you get an idea of the feeling, I believe any worries would leave you, unless you took too much.. With high doses, one should be very stable mentally, or it can take you for an emotional rollercoaster ride.. Just stop worrying and try, or don't do it.. Drugs are supposed to be fun, and makin it all scary or worryin to death isn't gonna do any good... ;)

20. Philomel

Philomel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Relax!

I believe You is wasting a lot of mental energy on worrying about having a bad trip. I did exactly the same thing prior to taking LSD for the first time and irritated her friends very much by asking too many questions about what the experience would be like and by excessively worrying. SWIM regrets that. Once SWIM actually experienced her first acid trip, she found that all of her assumptions and predictions about what it would be like were completely wrong and felt that much of her research and anxiety was wasted time. SWIM ended up having a great time on acid and had nothing to worry about. Ultimately, the experience is something that is just impossible to describe or depict accurately with words. You should just go with it and feel what it is like for himself. I have experienced what she thinks was a bad trip and it wasn’t so horrible after all – it just made very clear to her which psychological issues she needed to work through, namely regarding SWIM’s self-confidence. This bad trip was the result of SWIM’s anxiety, similar to what You displayed in the initial post, and also being around people she didn’t know very well. So You should just chill out, stop worrying, and have a bit of fun. You will probably be fine!