1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions - Lyrica - Pregabalin for anxiety/depression to replace SSRI's

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by youwillpay, Dec 22, 2006.

1. youwillpay

youwillpay Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hi all
    SWiM has tryed most SSRI's for panic attacks, GAD, depression, etc & had realy bad reactions like freaking out, sweating exessively, realy vivid dreams to name a fiew!

Then SWiM's Psychiatrist mentioned a drug that has just been given licence in UK to treat anxiety, Lyrica (pregabalin).
    It was used for Epilepsy & neuropathic pain, but now it can be used for anxiety.
    Apparently SWiM was the 1st person she'd prescribed it too, so he was a guinea pig in my area.
    It works on the receptors in the brain that Benzodiazepines do, but without the addiction.
    SWiM feels he can function, get outa bed, & sometimes get a real high like on E.

I have been told it is going to be given to patients who have a bad time on SSRI's & withdrawl.

Has anyone had experiences with this drug & how it has worked on them.

YWP

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Broshious

Broshious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    For anxiety SWiM was prescribed Gabapentin which is very similar to Pregabalin and it worked very well.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  3. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    SwiPA tried pregabalin (like the above poster said, very similar to gabapentin) and it worked miracles for anxiety, made him social. Unfortunately he tried it illegally, so he has no idea how to bring it up to a psychiatrist and actually get a script for it. Not to mention SwiPA lives in the states. :(

4. bob_arctor

bob_arctor Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM has been on different SSRI:s, SNRI:s, TCA:s for years now, during a debilitating round of depressive returning episodes, mainly showing itself as social anxiety and general heavy dysthymia. Recently SWIM was prescribed Lyrica (pregabalin) and suddenly found himself able to handle a regular job in a food market. Now he has even persuaded his doctor to let him go off the anafranil (Clomopramin) so SWIM is flying free without help from those antidepressives for the first time in years. For sure mood is more variable, in a bad way, but it seems conclusively proven that social anxiety was the main problem for SWIM.

Also recently diagnosed with asperger syndrome, perhaps this has interfered with the slim action of the various drugs during the years. At least for this person, Pregabalin has worked as a (hitherto) non-addictive alternative to antidepressives and their negative side effects.

5. branflakes

branflakes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yeah, i was wondering if a doctor would be hesitant about a patient asking for a scheduled V drug

6. NeuroMD

NeuroMD Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o
    In such cases Gabapentin may work.

7. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I use pregabalin for fiber mylnosia or whatever. I was just diagnosed a week ago. I dont think it would help with depression. Surprisingly if you look online there is a recent article that talks about alprozam and how it greatly reduced depressive and anxious symptoms and the nice thing is you most likely wont have to increase your dose as long as you realize that the sedative effect is different from the anxiolytic effect. Anyway, pregablin effects certain chemicals that may not be beneficial for depressed people. It does kill my physical pain though along with clonazepam.

8. Man5onite

Man5onite Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Pregabalin in conjunction with diazepam eliminated SWIM's anxiety.
    Diazepam alone did not kill his anxiety.
    Good combo for SWIM, but he did get a bit tired.

9. p4oloz

p4oloz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    dosage ? :)

10. paragoric

paragoric Newbie

Reputation Points:
    anyone know if neuritonin (one of the gabas) works for this also

11. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o
    It may, but dosing is fucked. The higher the dose you need to be on, the more spread out it has to be- the bioavailability decreases as the individual dose size increases. Although, at this point you might be talking about euphoria/mania-inducing doses. The coolest thing about that effect is that all over your vision you start getting weird electrical-looking hallucinations like the jump scars in the movie Jumper.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  12. princesstalufa

princesstalufa Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Lyrica was horrible. I started it (LEGALLY) when it first came out, and the doc put me on the "recommended" dosage, which was 300 mg per day, which is incredibly high (no docs really knew much about it then), and it f-ed me up! I was so bloated I looked pregnant, and I felt all weird and loopy, and not in a good way. It did nothing for fibro pain, and certainly not depression or anxiety!

13. bob_arctor

bob_arctor Titanium Member

Reputation Points:

Interesting - didn't know this, but seems plausible based on SWIMs experience. Do you have any references?

14. JJZe

JJZe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    Re:SSRI Withdrawal

My two-cents to this, having experienced discontinuation with 3 different medications:

Prozac (fluoxetine): I quit cold-turkey from 40 mg a day with little negative effect. I did start to have severe stomach cramping shortly after stopping, but that was a problem I had before I started Prozac and which I felt was just a return to normal for me.

Effexor XR (venlafaxine): This one was downright ugly. I would go into mild withdrawal from the medication if I missed a dose; this mostly entailed feeling a little bit out of it and occasional parasthesias. It's been a while, so I'm not sure, but I do think I tapered a bit before I quit this one. When I quit, I felt constantly disoriented, had some vertigo and almost fell down a couple of times, and would get very strong parasthesias that would start in my neck when I turned my head a certain way and go down my leg. This lasted for about 1.5 weeks at full-force, then slowly subsided over the next month or so.

Celexa (citalopram): Just quit this one about 2 weeks ago and the withdrawal has been mild and feels nearly over with. I have been more prone to agitation, more emotional (i.e. I get all sobby for very little reason), had some minor disorientation, and very minor parasthesias. The worst part/possible not withdrawal part, is that my anxiety has been creeping back in.

Every time I quit antidepressants, it is because I've felt that they have an incredible ability to dull life. I haven't been in a relationship for 3 years, nor have I really had the drive to be in one or even to seek out sexual partners. Everything is fine all the time, but nothing is ever great. I just float along adequately content all the time. I think it would be a good trade-off if I was still as much of a mess as I was in my early twenties, but even with the bouts of anxiety I've dealt with through my late twenties I do not feel like the trade-off is worth it. I've been productive, having completed a master's degree, so it's not like citalopram sapped everything out of me. It just makes living a solitary life much more tolerable if not downright acceptable. I think that is the biggest danger in SSRIs.

15. Matt The Funk

Matt The Funk Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    That is Gabapentin, not Pregabalin. I think Pregabalin is the future. IMHO it's a step in the right direction too. Getting closer to medications that actually help.

16. drugresearcher

drugresearcher Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    My pet tarantula (Dave) had been on Lyrica for quite some time now, he never had a perscription for them and he told me that he had just obtained them from one of his friends. Dave has the 200mg capsules and he found that they work very well for sleep disorders, depression and moderate anxiety.
    Allthough scientifically they dont dont directly interact with the brain's serotonin or dopamine receptors, they do seem to have a strong anti-derpression effect for him (as I have noticed a good change in his mood's ) and for a few of his friends have aslo told him the same.

Dave personally found lyrica to be equally as effective as Clonazepam for anxiety but he was taking 400mg of Lyrica generally just for sleep purposes and/or anxiety. Even tho these tablets made him feel alot happier with himself he also told me that he seems to get sad sometimes over things that have happened in the past.

Dave got addicted to Lyrica quite easily as he could easily obtain them illegaly from friends for a small some of money so be careful! Dave also told me that he expierenced severe erectile dysfunction (ED) problems after 10 days of use and this problem persisted until he came of the medication. This is due to the decreased blood pressure in the body he thinks.
    This is the only negative side effect he noticed, other neutral side effects include

• drowsiness
    • mild confusion (but does get worse at higher doses)
    • short-term memory loss
    • sadness (comes & goes pretty quick)
    Positive effects include

• greatly enhanced quality of sleep
    • moderate-strong anti-depressant effect's
    • decreased anxiety/worry
    • excellent muscle relaxer
    • increased appetite

Data from a series of phase II and III placebo-controlled clinical studies in over 1,200 patients with generalised anxiety disorder suggest that Lyrica (pregabalin) will be effective for this disabling disorder. In comparison with venlafaxine, pregabalin provided more rapid relief of psychic and somatic symptoms. In comparison with alprazolam (a benzodiazepine), Lyrica (pregabalin) appeared equally effective in reducing somatic symptoms. Overall, these findings show that Lyrica (pregabalin) combines the benefits of both antidepressants and benzodiazepines. It appears at least as rapid as benzodiazepines against somatic symptoms, while providing more rapid control of psychic symptoms than antidepressants.

This extract doesn't completly prove my point but it backs up some of my opinion's, Lyrica is probably best used in conjunction with a benzo for anxiety but its worth a shot trying Lyrica on their own.
    Be carfeul though as they messed up my pet parrot's life as he became addicted to the feeling them gave him and once the told the doctor he was still suffering from neurological pain the doctors were quite happy to keep handing hin out Lyrica in high doses every month.
    Its 12 months later and he is still suffering from sleep disorders i.e not sleeping, having the same bad nightmare night after night, waking up every hour... also he is experienceing mild panic atticks which he must go on further medication to combat this.
    Sorry for all the waffling but I just wouldn't like to see anyone else experiece what my pet parrot did.

Any other SWIMMERS out there have similar opinions?:)

17. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Lyrica blocks a specific part of these things called calcium channels. They also may have some effect on the GABAB system. This is where it gets complicated. Blocking calcium channels decreases alot of activity. Decreased NT release, decreased GABA A activity, decreased muscle tone, increased risk for seizure. GABA B agonists impair memory severely, cause intense physiological dependence not well understood, decreases GABA A activity (receptors associated with decreasing neuronal activity, anxiety, and fear).

Alprazolam is approved for minor to moderate depression. Plus, the starting dose for this drug is significantly lower than the dose required to maintain physiological dependence.

Even at 100 mg, pregabalin causes your body to be very physiologically dependent. Higher the dose, worse it is. Excessive NT release causes a variety of problems. Its not the worlds safest medicine. Im not advocating benzodiazepines like xanax, but they are actually approved for moderate depression and effective doses are significantly lower than doses that cause physiological dependence. Talk to a doctor about these things and issues.

Kava-kava, an herb with well researched effects, was just recently approved for MDD and anxiety disorders by the WHO. I got the sources if anyone wants them. But the nice thing about kava, no physiological dependence. Very interesting phenomenon due to its mechanism of action. The various chemicals active in kava reduce muscle tension, decrease anxiety, increase norepinephrine, increases dopamine in nucleus accumbens increase working memory, decrease test-anxiety (my research currently unpublished), reduces pain significantly, decreases physiological symptoms associated w panic attacks, is as effective as buspirone & benzodiazepines, and as I mentioned does NOT cause addiction (possibly due to mild NMDA antagonistic action). Safe drug, a lot of research looking into it for treatment of other disorders, developing novel muscle relaxants, and novel anesthetics. Even if your on a benzodiazepine, the drug will be effective after discontinuation.

Talk to a doctor about everything. Lyrica (pregabalin) is not the worlds safest drugs esp for psychiatric disorders. In the literature, w/d is compared to beta blockers & GHB which can have nasty effects. The benefits outweigh the risks in certain conditions. But it can increase depressive symptoms (just like the commercial says....although paradoxically it can cause euphoria too which I believe is a load).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  18. BikesAreBetter

BikesAreBetter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM says Lyrica causes Weight Gain..Doesn't sound like a drug SWIM would want to take.

19. Lukeoca

Lukeoca Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Out of interest, would Swiys prefer an anti-phsycotic medication or a mood-stabalizer for off label treatment of anxiety ?

20. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess

Reputation Points:
    References?