Health - Machine Oil from Whipped Cream Chargers

Discussion in 'Nitrous Oxide' started by El Calico Loco, Sep 18, 2006.

1. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I read on Erowid that N2O users often find the inside of their dispensers coated in an oily black substance after going through a box or two of charges. I have seen this himself with more than one brand.

I'm sure this oil isn't a good thing to inhale, but does anyone know just how bad it is? Should he wash the dispenser after every box, or is it enough to wash it after the fun is over for the night (multiple users - I don't tend to go through a box in one night on his own)?

Are there any brands that don't have this byproduct?

ECL

2. matti_2003

matti_2003 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have noticed an oily residue on his dispenser but it looks clear to him rather than black. I have no proof but thinks that it can't be doing any good if using lots.

3. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It can't be good but, save "acquiring" a large medical-grade canister, there's not much that can be done about it. I have had the opportunity to try probably all the food-grade brands available in Europe and the problem is fairly constant with all of them. While, I do not think it will cause permanent damage, there is no way to be sure and if You is worried, the best thing to do would be to stop eating so much whipped cream or cut it out completely.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    The question is: What is the oily residue? If these whippits (sic) are for use in food, then whatever residue left behind would have to be harmless. Vegetable oil, perhaps? Why not contact the companies?

5. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    If the cartridges used are food-grade nitrous, and they are when they are used for whipping up cream or medical purposes, then SWIM doubts the oil will be harmful.

6. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    While I agree with the last two comments, one has to remember that inhaling 30 cartridges worth of nitrous will involve significantly more oil than having a squirt of cream on your coffee.

7. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Ofcourse the amounts of oil encountered when nitrous is used recreationally is much more than when it's used for the purpose it's made for, but there is a very large safety margin for the food-grade standard.
    There can't be even traces of harmful substances in stuff made for human consumption, so that would count for nitrous as well.

8. El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Not only that, but it could be that the oil is harmless when ingested but harmful when inhaled. The company is in the clear so long as the charges are used as intended. I would think companies would try to avoid poisoning their customers (especially those who seem to eat 50x more whipped cream than others :) ), but people have done worse.

Contacting one of the manufacturers is an idea, but I'll have to think of a good story. "Yeah, so, I work in a coffee shop, and we use a LOT of whipped cream, and I noticed this oily black residue..." *smirk*

Hm. Looks like some websites are now selling a brand from Europe that claims to be medical grade.

ECL

9. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Even the whippets containing medical grade nitrous such as purewhip still have this oil. SWIM wonders what the problem is though? if the canister is wiped out every 50 caps it will continue to collect the oil efficiently I would imagine also the inside of the balloon will collect it, so SWIm does not believe we can be inhaling very much.

10. Japan Four

Japan Four Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have read that they lubricate the cartriges with vegetable oil. This may be the oil just building up due to excessive use ?

11. El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Update:

SWIM decided to run a test. He went through an entire box of N2O chargers with a single balloon, leaving a nice oily residue on the inside of the whipped cream canister. He then cut open the balloon. He found no trace of oil - no residue, no scent, no nothin.

So...it seems that the oil never makes it from the canister to the balloon. Either that, or none of it sticks to the balloon's insides (it all goes into your lungs and stays there). Probably the former. Regardless of what the oil is, it's likely of no concern for those who use whipped cream canisters.

This says nothing about those who use crackers to put the gas directly into balloons. Those who do may want to run their own tests.

ECL

12. garbled

garbled Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland
    Re: Purewhip is medical grade.

I don't know where you heard that but it isn't true. It's food grade.

Re: oily residue in canisters.

The oily residue is an after-product of the manufacturing process and consists of a build up of lubricants used during the manufacturing process of cartridges, and the filling of the cartridges under high pressure from the nitrous injection machinery. In the course of food preparation it is in inconsequential event due to the nature of the dispenser's method of operation.

Think about it. The dispenser gets a cartridge inserted into it, and when the cartridge holder is screwed into place, the nitrous is injected into the dispenser pointing downward. Any accumulation of oily film around the seal area of the cartridge will be blown into the dispenser under pressure, because it is pointing down.

When the film deposits itself on the walls of the dispenser, it is suspended much like it was inside the cartridge, and does not leave the dispenser to go into you because the gas is dispensed upward, not downward like it entered the dispenser.

If you want to test this theory, wash your dispenser with warm, soapy water using a mild dish detergent. Dry the dispenser, then use it to go through a box or two of 24 cartridges, but instead of dispensing the gas directly from the dispenser, dispense it into a balloon. After the end of test, open the dispenser and insert a paper towel and wipe the inside walls of the dispenser down. Extract and examine. Now cut open the balloon and check the inside of it. It will be clean.

The oil tends to accumulate from dispensing downware, but not from dispensing upward. That is why the person with the balloon test above didn't see any residue in his balloon.

Re: when to clean.

You should be perfectly safe cleaning your dispenser after your fun time is over. You do not have to clean it after every box. Once per weekend cleaning with a mild dish detergent is sufficient.

13. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Source?

Just because it's used for food dosen't make it food grade. All sites that sell Purewhip and list it's grade say that it's medical grade. I'm not saying these sites wouldn't lie, I'm saying what's the chances that they're all breaking the law in this way and still running?

14. mrblazed

mrblazed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: how clean is food grade

Swim tryed about 5 different brands of chargers ISI being the most expensive, they all seem to leave the same amount of black residue. I use cheaper ones that are painted dark blue the most, with a folded up coffee filter around the business end of the brass cracker and putting the balloon over it. After about only 10 chargers the residue thats filtered is brown, and swim can subtly taste it in the mouth, lips and in the phlem here and there if 24 or more are inhaled. I am sure this isn't the greatest health wise but feels very uninformed. Also paint chips and very small metal particles seem to get aerosolized out of the cracker/cream whipper as well as the mysterious oily substance, maybe unpainted/uncoated chargers should be used.

15. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Unpainted and uncoated chargers seem to be harder to find, or not intended for food use, instead intended for mini moto bike nos adapters etc. Most food and medical grade 8g or 16g chargers are painted to stop them rusting (they are steel). I would be loads happier inhaling the odd chip of paint than lots of rust, (the rust would come off and enter the balloon, You etc alot more easily) and actually I has never found evidence that he has inhaled or been at risk of inhaling paint, sometimes tiny shards of metal, he assumes from the soft or thin cover that is punctured by the cracker.

Tags: