Maconha brava - Possible Cannabis Alterna

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Thirdedge, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I found this infomation and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this plant being smoked to give a Cannabis like high.

Macohna brava

ZORNIA LATIFOLIA - Leguminosae (Maconha Brava, urinana)

RITUAL EMPLOYMENT:

The dried leaves are smoked in Brazil as an hallucinogenic substitute for
    Cannabis. The vernacular name Maconha Brava means 'false Marijuana,.

USAGE:

The leaves are dried and smoked. "The dried seeds are smoked as a hallucinogenic substitute for Cannabis"
    --Plants of the Gods

ACTIVE PRINCIPLES:

No psychoactive principles have been reported from the genus.

EFFECTS:

Reported to be similar to Marijuana. Euphoric smoke.

DANGERS:

No dangers known, should be quite safe.

SOURCES:

Unfortunately none known. Native to South America
    Origin (native to where): Brazil, South America, Africa – not threatened.

Machona Brava is listed as an ingredient in the New Zealand legal Cannabis alternative Spice. I have tried Spice and the high is indeed similar to Cannabis. I am curious if this is mainly due to the Machona brava.

A websearch shows there are many Zornia species, perhaps others in the genus are smokable too?

Anyone heading to Brazil? Care to try a few cones and let us know the outcome;)

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. Sick Jack

Sick Jack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Maconha Brava, means "false cannabis" ? Personnaly I had translated this as "wild weed".....

3. dclacomb

dclacomb Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Sounds very interesting, I wish there were more information on it.[​IMG]

4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Hmm... I would be interested to say the least.

5. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Heres some random quotes I found online regarding this species:

its actually really interesting when you mix mj with it as a tobacco substitute. if it was plentiful i'd be using that instead of tobacco.

Got around to doing a small assay of some Z. diphylla seeds and leaves last night. 3 seeds and a pinch of leaves were added to a cigarette, taste is slightly harsh but ok, in a grass type of way. Roughly 3-5 minutes after coming back inside, i notice an increase (or at least a feeling of) in heartrate and an anticipation, sort of like being at the edge ofan experience. I have to get up for a minute or so to walk this off and it tapers off into a dopey type of sedation. Sleep is deep and good, slight hangover feeling today but nothing unpleasant. I get the feeling there may be more to this herb at a dose of 5 seeds and a good pinch of leaves.

I believe there is definently something to this species. The seeds have an unusual but reminiscent smell.

I have to say the effects 30 minutes in until the following lunchtime reminded me of cannabis from all those years ago.

Tags: