Oral use - Magic Mushroom Tea

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by morkstanley, Aug 7, 2005.

1. morkstanley

morkstanley Newbie

Reputation Points:
    unfortunatly i can no longer eat mushrooms without puking my guts out. so i was wondering if the mushroom tea really works or if it is just a waste of mushrooms. my friends tell me that its just a waste and doesnt work. but i've read on the internet that it does.

so does it work?

doesn't heat break down the active ingredients in shrooms?

would i have to increase the dose to make it work... whats the deal?

2. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well do u puke because of the taste or the effects, my friend made some tea, sorry cant tell you the amount he put in, but it worked well for him as well as just eating no better no worse, mushroom tea definatly works but im not sure wether the nausea is decreased or not.

3. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    Mushroom tea definetly works, however it is one of the more inefficient
    methods. You will trip much much harder if you just eat the
    shroomies. I don't know if it decreases nausea or not, SWIM
    hasn't noticed any difference.

Try some motion sickness pills, make sure to eat them on an empty stomach, eat some ginger, et cetera et cetera.

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I find that mushroom tea works very well with Hawaiian Copelandia mushrooms. Last night I ate some psilocybe McKennai and drank a cup of tea laced with Copelandia and it was an extremely intense trip. The tea kicked in faster and put me in a dreamy, non-connected to my body mode. About an hour later I was feeling the McKennai working and they put me in a really relaxed cerebral state. It was a great combination.

5. morkstanley

morkstanley Newbie

Reputation Points:

bout half hour to an hour after i eat em i always puke. then for the rest of the trip my stomach still feels like shit and ruins the experience. i used to never have this problem. i never used to puke or even feel sick during the trip, but its a real problem now. it almost make me wanna never do them again. but i love mushies!!!!

6. cactus

cactus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    anyone who says tea doesnt work has obviously never tried it. i usually simmer my shrooms for 20 mins and i dont use too much water (cant stand the taste). Its a lot easier on your guts if you dont eat the shroom matter, well thats what i find anyway. you might find that fasting 3-4 hours beforehand will make it easier for you, or maybe use ginger tea in the mix.

7. puppybeast33

puppybeast33 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Tea works but the tried and true method for me is a Penut Butter and Shroom Sandwich. Chop the shrooms up real good first. I hate the taste of mushrooms and I swear I can't taste a thing when their is penut butter involved.

8. thegod1

thegod1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Mushroom tea works just as well eating them on there own for swim. Smoke some weed with themif you can get some, it might stop you being sick.

9. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    You can also get some car sickness pills. This will stop you from throwing up. Do ONLY do this with mushrooms you buy in a shop and not with wild mushrooms. You are blocking your capability to puke out toxic substances and with wild (picked) mushrooms, you do want to have this possibility.

10. finimal

finimal Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes,

Mushroomtea works just as well as eating them raw, unfortunately both methods make me[​IMG] although the tea is a bit more pleasant to force down as the raw stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2005
  11. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Psiloc(yb)in is very soluble in water. Tea works - you'll come up faster,
    and the trip will be shorter than if you ate the entire shroom. Good
    option if you absolutely hate the taste/texture of those things.

And watch it with the motion sickness pills - if they contain
    diphenhydranate (Dramamine), you don't want to take more than
    25-50mg, or you'll probably get really sleepy.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  12. dark_emotions

dark_emotions Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If you make the "TEA" the right way, it DEFINATELY WORKS!!!!! I know shrooms have a very bad taste, at least I think so, I have a very hard and long time putting them in my mouth and chewing them up, then some get stuck in your teeth and then leaves a NASTY, NASTY TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH!!!! eeewwww[​IMG]

Or you can even try putting them in a Peanut Butter Sandwich, or even some brownie mmmmmmmmm[​IMG]

Try the tea, PB Sandwich or Brownies, you never know it might work for ya....GOOD LUCK[​IMG]

13. Caliform

Caliform Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think that if you are planning to go for tea you should take several things into consideration. How long do you want to trip and how intensely? What kind of shroom do you use?

nature_boy_liam, I believe has found it as well, and I have found that Copelandia Cyanescens and some other chemically mysterious mushrooms (not like Cubensis, which is straightforward psiloc(yb)in) lose potency in tea. This could be because of chemical instability (the 90 degrees decay temperature Centigrade for Psilocybin, psilocin I believe more instable?) or other factors (Baeocystin?) but I find it not half as potent, and it loses a lot of it's classical visual power. I don't like this and have stopped using tea for the most times, unless I want a very short, truffle-like philosopher 'stonedness'.

14. Psp_Cloud

Psp_Cloud Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yesterday was the second time swim tried shrooms, and a friend was with recommended mushroom tea so we tried it. It may seem a little strange placing your goods in water but trust swim its worth it and you start coming up in about 10-20 minutes.
    To make it you need 1 jug full of boiling water,about an eighth of shrooms and a few teaspoons of sugar (not nessecery). Place all your mushrooms in the boiling water and wait about 15 minutes until the water begins to change coulor then your ready :D Pour the jug into the cups and enjoy, leave the mushrooms in until the jug is empty (Don't worry if you get small amounts in your drink) You can then eat or re-use the shrooms although they will be weaker. As its a liquid it hits you alot quicker like alcohol as opposed to eating them and swims not sure how long the high lasts (about 4 hours until he was completely sober) Try it sometime I would recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2006
  15. matti_2003

matti_2003 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Making tea is not the most efficiant way to consume mushrooms especially if boiling them for that long. Heat distroys the psylobin.

16. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    For future reference heat the water first then take off heat and wait a few minutes to cool a bit then add the mushrooms. As matti said heat destroys psylocibin and will weaken your trip and really waste alot of the shrooms you paid for. But if done right shroom tea is great the trip comes up very fast and intensly. and the nausea really has never been a problem for I even with a MAOI + 5gram dose made into tea.

17. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    SWIM prefers to use lukewarm water to make mushroom tea, not boiling water, because as-mentioned it tends to kill some of the psilocybin. Slice up those shrooms, leave them sit for 15 minutes, strain and plop in a mint teabag. Someday, SWIM hopes to grow a large batch of mushrooms and make a druidic mushroom brew with several hundred mushies inside.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  18. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim's tea tek... Grind dried shrooms, or chop finely wet ones (10 to 1 ratio for freshly picked), and add appropriate dose to one container.. Swim pours one cup of boiling water over mush, and let's it steep for about 15 minutes... One drains all the liquid, saving it in a new cup, and then pours in another cup of boiling water, onto the filtered mush remains... This time, it is steeped for ten minutes, then filtered and combined with the previous soak... He then adds a teabag of desired flavor, and makes sure to squeeze most of the water out of the teabag well... He then adds honey or sugar to flavor, and chugs it within 10 minutes... This seems to provide the easiest and tastiest ingestion method, eliminates any of the stomach distress, and provides one of the fastest liftoff's, other than an alcohol extract, that I has ever experienced...

Hope this helps!!

19. JustAnotherNoob

JustAnotherNoob Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Read on Erowid somewhere that increasing the temperature the mushrooms
    are being stored in simply aids in the oxidation of the psilocybin, not
    directly destroying it. Seemed to remember it saying that a few minutes
    of soaking mushrooms in hot water would have "little to no effect" on the
    strength of the tea.

Upon further inquiry, this link was discovered.

http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=2984

The common belief is that boiling shrooms will signifigantly lower the strength of the tea.

So is this erowid "pro" full of shit?

Or did the whole "don't store/dry your shrooms in heat" slogan that many
    people scream about get translated to tea without proper reason?
    And then become a full blown myth?

20. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't give two shits about some "experts" advice, so when you try the method swim suggested, if you are disappointed, it was most likely your shrooms, rather than the method of ingestion, in swim's opinion, of course... Swim's foaf has grown shrooms for nearly a decade, and tea, the way he mentioned, has always been his favorite method of ingestion... Take that for what it's worth... BTW, 15 mins of heat in water is waaaaayyyyyy different than UV light heat, or even heat over an extended period of time, in less than ideal conditions... Tea only lasts a day or two, tops, before it degrades, or so I was told... He drinks it hot, and has never had any trouble...