Drug info - Mandrake liqueur

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by deam, Nov 24, 2004.

1. deam

deam Newbie

Reputation Points:
    QUOTE:
    "This Liqueur is made through a maceration of various herbs, and eucalyptus honey. The Mandrake root is a well known plant since ancient times for its hallucinogenic properties. In the Middle Ages, so the legend says, witches used to drink the mandrake in licquor or as an infusion, so that they could communicate better with the spiritual world. This liqueur must be drunk cold and with moderation."

2 friends and I bought a bottle of this stuff last November. It didn't taste half band; kind of pepperminty. The buzz was a little weird, not like absinthe, this was different, kind of spooky although it could have just been the time of year...

You can buy it

[SOURCES ARE NOT ALLOWED OUTSIDE THE SOURCES FORUM]

[​IMG]
    Edited by: Alfa

2. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    I think it tastes very good personnally. As for a buzz, well i'm still trying to figure if there really is one ....

3. BrugmansiaBrujo

BrugmansiaBrujo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I have a bottle too. It is touted as an aphrodesiac, and at least
    for me it seems to have that effect. A buzz much different from
    normal alcohol? not really, not for me. The best way to drink the
    mandrake liquer is to keep a shot in the mouth for a while, to let the
    alkaloids get absorbed by the bucal mucosa, then swallow it. This
    will give you the best effect from it.

If you are going to enjoy
    it as an aphrodesiac, why not pass it from mouth to mouth with your partner, doing it
    with either 2 or 4 shots, and each of you take turns swallowing
    it. Unless of course you will only be whacking your willy alone
    after using it[​IMG]

The same place that I got my bottle from (probably the same place you
    got your's from too), also sells absinthe, as well as a liquer called
    "Salvia".

The Salvia liquer is made from the common kitchen herb salvia
    officinalis, regular cooking sage. Sage contains thujone, maybe even
    more than wormwood by weight.

Both the Salvia liquer and absinthe give a different buzz than regular
    alcohol. I have all three of these items in my liquor cabinet,
    and enjoy them on occasion.

Edited by: BrugmansiaBrujo

4. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hmmm this is intereseting. I bet there is not very much Mandrake in their or it would be a law suit waiting to happen.

5. 0utrider

0utrider Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from tajikistan
    Mandagora ?

Hi!

has anyone every tried this mandagora schnapps ? I have seen some from spain, and it apparently has very few tropane alkaloids in it, thus making the experiences different, more like what the absinthe is often believed to be like (even though its not), mildly hallucinogenic etc

6. Benga

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    Re: Mandagora ?

yes. swim's flamingo. there is a thread on the subject somewhere in the alcohol forum.
    the migrator probably has a bottle stashed somewhere.
    as posted eons ago in the forementioned thread, nothing out of the ordinary to be expected, even from larger doses, the flamingo never did. nice and ( a little too) sweet tasting beverage though, with a good alcohol content ( 40 or 30°, memory blurry)
    appart from the novelty apsect and hype in spanish about aphrodisiac properties and reference to witches, don't expect to hornily ride a tropane broom, this basque liquor is just a liquor and a little clever merchandising.

7. 0utrider

0utrider Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from tajikistan
    AW: Mandagora ?

well I am aware that no tropane high will be achieved, but he read in other (drug) forums that it still well reminds You of that stuff and is a little more than just a smart merchandising (like absinthe..), even though just a bit. people were report mild changes in perception and strange dreams in the following night.

8. Benga

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    Re: Mandagora ?

to be honest swim's flamingo remembers getting the drink after reading someone's report which mentioned something like "don't drink too much- after one glass one will begin to get a dry mouth, a trademark of mandragore and other tropane containing plants"....
    well, a glass was drank. the another. then retested on other occasions.
    after drinking 1 and 1/2 bottles, swim's flamingo can assert that he never felt anything different or noticed any difference in dreams.
    this flamingo is not very suggestible though...
    the bottle's shape is nice though.

absinthe tastes much better, especially a good bleue, such as la bleue clandestine and its honey overtones, or some of Ted Breaux's recreations...
    as for effects, well if anything is different it is really subtle - swim wrote a lot on this particular subject, the legends associated with absinthe and psychoactivity, it's political and economically backed prohibition, the artistic aura and delirium tremens, the thujone / lead poisoning hype etc - in this very forum already, so won't here.
    On herbal liquors, the strongest difference in alcoholic inebriation the flamingo ever felt was not from absinthe or mandragora but actually from another herbal liquor which has no psychoactive legend surrounding it, good old "chartreuse verte".
    strange / different alcoholic intoxication indeed. there seems to be this clearheaded aspect of intoxication which comes from the distilled herb combo, which is subtle but there. However the amount of sugar in chartreuse is something which prevents swim and his tastebuds from any further investigation on the subject.
    but mandragora, nope in the flamingo's books.
    b

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
    1. 3/5,
      thanks for this nice sharing of inform.
      Apr 17, 2008