Marijuana and Scuba Diving

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by mrjmrj, Mar 6, 2005.

1. mrjmrj

mrjmrj Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I was curious if anyone has pursued the combined sport of marijuana and scuba diving. Looking at the colorful marine life and playing with rays and dolphins sounds like a blast.

More specifically, the effects of THC in the body under pressure. I've never smoked and scuba dived, but I may smoke the night before or something. There would certainly still be THC in the system. Before I make a 100ft dive, I want to know if I should lay off the stuff for a week or something.

2. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I honestly think that smoking the night before is fine. Just because the lasting effects of pot only last a hand full of hours. True the underwater marine life would be intense and vivid, but i wouldnt reccomend it. Just because I have a friend who smoked and then went diving and he said that it was way to wierd. he has been told by numerous divers and instructors that smoking and then diving can be hazardous, because u can start to take short breaths and general wierdness.

General wierdness can be described as claustaphobic (major spelling error) because when you are stoned on land you have oxygen around you and the pressure of oxygen on your body is minimal. but when your underwater you will have pressure around your body and it will vary with the depth. This could cause you to start to become paranoid and i think it would take all the fun outa diving.

Now like anything else with a lil bit of work it could become second nature, if you do it a few times then do it at a shallow level and slowly move down. but hell a dive at 100ft only lasts (cant remember the number) but not that long before u have to start working your way up. just wait till you get on the boat and spark a fatty

http://www.scuba-doc.com/marij.htmltake what u will from this article, i just scanned it and all i could really find is the bad effects of pot... maybe something about diving...

MuirnerEdited by: Muirner

3. Creeping Death

Creeping Death Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Wow man, thats a totally innovative idea. I'm feeling inspired. I'll have to try at least snorkeling (sp?) on weed when i'm down in croatia. It's gotta be an enjoyable experience.

That diving thing that Muirner is talking about makes sense to me, but snorkeling doesn't really have any extra pressure or anything on you.

4. TypicalDream

TypicalDream Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, with all you've gotta pay attention to when diving anyways, you don't wanna get carried away, forget about one of the simple things you gotta do and end up with the bends. I find its easy enough to get carried away being sober and underwater in a really beautiful place. I don't wanna know what I'd pull off if I was smoking beforehand, I might try to befriend a stingray or something

5. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

I think that this would be wicked cool. Snorkeling would be so intense, and i think that this would be the best way to go about smoking and doing anything water related the first few times. i only say that this would probably be the best idea because if you get worked up and your scuba diving your X amount of feet down, and u have to slowly work your way up. Where as if your snorkeling then you just have to worry about sticking your head up, or just going up a few feet.

Remember that when you are snorkling you can go under water just remember to save enough breath for when u come up you can blow all the water outa your snorkel. The pressures on your body would be about the same as the would be on land because:
    -At sea level the air pressure is 1 ATM (1 Atmosphere of pressure)
    -When diving the ATM goes up by 1 every 33ft. so say you were diving at 99ft, you would be at 4 ATM
    - This is 4x as much pressure as there is at Sea Level
    -Know that when you have air in a flexable space such as your lungs, ears, sinusus that the volume of air is reduced due to pressure.
    - At 2 ATM the volume is 1/2'ed and at 3 ATM the volume is 1/3'ed.
    -Know air density in your lungs and scuba tank goes up with each ATM at 2 ATM it doubles, at 3 atm it tripples
    -Air within an air space will expand proportinally as pressure is reduceddue to the ATM. when moving from 33ft(2 ATM)to the surface(1 ATM) the air in a closed container will double.

So there is the run down on pressures under water if you wanna see where i got thisinformation then check here

Muirner

6. mattp

mattp Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I wouldn't recomend diving under the influence of ANYTHING. SCUBA
    diving is something that can be fully appreciated sober. Also, you want
    to be safe. It's simple, but being stoned may prevent you from checking
    your depth guage or you may not notice that you are too bouyant and
    float to the surface. Also, nitrogen narcosis sometimes happens scuba
    diving if you arent safe. if you are already high, you wont notice that
    you are being goofy and taking in too much nitrogen. be safe.

smoking the night before is fine, I have done it. as long as you are not still stoned diving, go for it.

7. bigloc

bigloc Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Geting baked and snorkeling in miami was fun bu I dont know about scuba to many things could go wrong.

8. Teotzlcoatl

Teotzlcoatl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Can't be any more insane than taking a hit of N,N-DMT before sky diving.