Health - Marijuana for Attention Deficit Disorder?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by Lehendakari, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    Being an adult with ADD and regular mj smoker I was looking for information about how pot could worsen ADD symtoms and he found this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117541,00.html

That is fu*ing weird but if you think about it, it doesn't sound so crazy.

Swim notices that when he attends class stoned he feels tired and don't want to work but he is more focused and less nervous and hyperactive.

Also I has noticed that studying on pot sometimes helps one calm down a bit and that results in more concentration and definitely helps avoid exams anxiety and fear

But the most important thing: Swim likes very much to smoke before a trip cause he feels very comfortable driving high (not wasted). He feels very relaxed but at the same time focused and confident. He doesn't think pot in small amounts impairs his driving skills whatsover. It actually sharpens some abilities and makes him much less irritable.

Does this make any sense to you?

2. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Pot is a Hallucinogen.

Pot (and LSD, and Shrooms, and RCs, ...) affect different people differently. And, in fact, each one will affect the SAME person differently, at different times. I can take LSD on 10 different trips to the Beach. One time, is warm and fuzzy; one is ego-shattering; one is ... (well, you get the picture).

I know several people with ADD (some of them I have met at Cannabis Buyers Clubs). Most of them have said that Pot's better than Amphetamine for their attention-span (and coping with Life).

If you smoke Pot, then you KNOW how it works for you. This is the BEST evidence about what Pot can do. Believe in your own experience.

On the other hand ... Reading news accounts is less-than-productive, because you will be reading about things which occur once-in-a-Million (or, worse than that, someone who THINKS that Pot did something, but it was caused by something else).

3. radagast

radagast Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    a couple of yaers ago top gear did a feature on smoking pot and driving they came to a conclusion that smoking pot improves driving
    although I don't encourage or condone this

4. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain

Are you sure pot meets sufficient criteria to be catalogued as a hallucinogen???

I don't think it is. The problem about mj is that is hard to classify. Is it a CNS depressant? Is it hallucinogen? anti-depressant? dopaminergic?

There are some studies where they state that pot acts very directly on the dopaminergic system which could explain many thinks but also leaves unclear many others.

And you're right I must believe in my own experience and my experience tells me that pot can help with add but the thing is how can it cause sleepyness and deep relaxation and at the same time increased attention span? One effect counteracts the other and this is very wierd.

5. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I have never been tested for ADD, but he has noticed that when he is high he can focus for longer periods of time and concentrate on the task at hand without his mind wandering off. Through highschool I would smoke a blunt or two before writing big research papers and such, he wrote a 13 page paper in a few hours while high off his ass on a book he hadnt read and got a 98%. Pot was what got SWIM through highschool, he definately couldnt have dealt with all the bullshit any other way, both the school work and dumb highschool bullshit drama. POT=GOOD

6. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I remember Montel did a show on using marijuana for ADD, had a panel of experts and parents who kids smoked. Will try and find out more info on this.

7. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I agree with this, somewhat. Many people who drive slightly stoned tend to be less aggressive on the roads, generally a little bit inhibited e.g. they won't bother run that red light that got away, they'll take it easier on narrow dangerous roads etc. I think it's an awful shame that anti-marijuana campaigners play up the danger of driving under the influence of pot when the damage numbers pale in comparison to alcohol to the point where the whole argument is void.

8. RealGanjaMan

RealGanjaMan Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Marijuana IS a hallucinogen,
    there is no question about it.

As far as ADD...
    It didn't help SWIM's while he was high,
    but believe it or not, after about the first year of smoking,
    SWIM's ADD was gone. I don't know if this was coincidence or not,
    but I like to believe weed helped a bit.

-RGM

9. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  10. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I find cannabis to be excellent for his AD(H)D, but as RealGanjaMan said it does its job best a while after coming down. Well, you get stoned, so that might explain why its hard to decide whether or not it works during the high, lol. Concerta works better for SWIM though in that aspect, but if cannabis was available for ADHD treatment he would sure go for it, mainly for the whole experience. This deserves more attention, but it definitly stings too bad in peoples eyes to become accepted, at least in Sweden.

11. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It has been some privately funded studies on this. Swim googled it the other night and found several good sites. One that caught the eye was by Kort E. Patterson titled Marijuana and ADD. Good read plus several other references.

12. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    I think the key would be to eat small amounts of cannabis instead of smoking. This would get rid of the stoned feeling I guess. I've never eaten cannabis so I can't tell.

Cannabis stimulates melatonin secretion. Melatonin is thought to be a smart drug or is supposed to have some beneficial properties on mental performance.

Anyway if this was true cannabis would be an excellent alternative to amphetamines and ritalin, less toxic, better side effect profile... And it would be a great solution to give amphs's a rest in order to avoid tolerance.

13. freespirt

freespirt Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I find bud to help with Add it seems to do just fine till comeing down. he was also told it helped stay stay calm insted of takn perscipentions

14. cj1223

cj1223 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o
    well it cant be as bad as ritalin which is kinda like meth or cocain, its fucking crazy they give childeren these type of stimulant drugs

15. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have ADD and doesn't take medication for it. He has been smoking marijuana every day for several years now, and on a regular basis for a few years past that. He finds it helps him to relax in the evenings and that he concentrates better in the day. He hasn't noticed any of his symptoms getting worse and in fact finds that he can focus a bit better when high, depending on what it is.

16. OccularFantasm

OccularFantasm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Marijuana for ADD???

I am another one here with ADHD. He uses pot for this, and it helps quell racing thoughts, hyperactivity, and rage, while considerably extending attention span.

In regards to smoking while driving, swim came across this article. (he was actually making sure it wasn't already posted when he found this thread.)

http://bbsnews.net/article.php/20071001105829361

[SIZE=+1]Science: THC normalized impaired psychomotor performance and mood in a patient with hyperactivity disorder
    BBSNews 2007-10-01 -- (IACM) Scientists at the Department for Forensic and Traffic Medicine of the University of Heidelberg, Germany, investigated the effects of cannabis on driving related functions in a 28 year old man with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). He had violated traffic regulations several times in recent years and his driving licence was revoked due to driving under the influence of cannabis. He showed abnormal behaviour, seemed to be significantly maladjusted and his concentration was heavily impaired while sober during the first meeting with a psychologist. He was allowed to perform driving related tests under the influence of the cannabis compound dronabinol (THC), which his doctor had prescribed him to treat his symptoms. The examiner expected that he was not able to drive a car under the acute influence of THC.
    But at the second visit his behaviour was markedly improved and he performed average and partly above-average in all tests on reaction speed, sustained attention, visual orientation, perception speed and divided attention. A blood sample taken after the tests revealed a high THC concentration of 71 ng/ml in blood serum. He admitted later to have smoked cannabis and not taken dronabinol, because it was too expensive. Researchers noted that "people with ADHD are found to violate traffic regulations, to commit criminal offences and to be involved in traffic accidents more often than the statistical norm" and conclude from their investigation that "it has to be taken into account that in persons with ADHD THC may have atypical and even performance-enhancing effects."
    (Source: Strohbeck-Kuehner P, Skopp G, Mattern R. Fahrtüchtigkeit trotz (wegen) THC. [Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC] [Article in German] Arch Kriminol 2007;220(1-2):11-9.)

Swim very much notices he is a better driver as well when he smokes cannabis. If he gets too inebriated, swim actually gets paranoid and won't want to go out on the road, which works out pretty well. He is just a much safer driver, which is better for swim, myself, and all the other people on the road.

I did try all those ADHD pills though. He can attest to their ineffectiveness for ADHD, but amazing ability to let swim stay up for days on end(weather he wanted to or not).

He usually will smoke at night, after using the hyperactivity to get a bunch of work done. If it is done like this every night, it sort of helps eliminate excess pent up hyperactivity. If I don't smoke for a couple days, it progressively get more hyperactive and irritable. It is also more effective when I do not take breaks in his smoking, otherwise I will get distracted by such things as the munchies or everything seeming hilarious. He also drinks coffee all day, I'm not sure if thats relevant, but thats the only other real independent variable.

Bajeda said it right tho, it depends on what it is. If I find some FUNK, he will very likely get nothing done all day.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  17. Matt The Funk

Matt The Funk Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Marijuana for ADD???

I have a medical cannabis reccomendation partially for his ADD. He thinks it helps him focus and relieves the anxiety. Makes his train of thought flow easier, with multiple thoughts still, yet focused with them. BTW cannabis is a stimulant, depressant, hallucinogenic, and anti-psychotic. I feel thats what makes it the perfect plant. The balance in life. Cannabis works for all his psychiatric conditions, while if he takes prescription pills he needs to take 4-5.