Marijuana Tolerence

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by D(a)StoNeR, Jan 25, 2007.

1. D(a)StoNeR

D(a)StoNeR Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hey everybody, I have been a smoker for about 2 years, and in his 2 years of smoking the longest he's ever went without weed is probably 2 days. He mainly smokes really good mid-grade weed and has had quite alot of weed tea, putting amounts of up to 7 grams in it. Lately I have to smoke about 3 or 4 bowls to get to the level of highness he wants to be. He knows the weed is good, filled with red hairs, visible trichomes, but it still takes a bit. This is becoming a problem because, for one, after all of this smoking it makes me's voice scratchy, and he sings quite often, it is also cutting into SWIM's budget, and that's not even counting what it's doing to his lungs and brain, he forgets alot of stuff often, and on top of all of that he gets the munchies and eats like crazy and it is causing him to gain weight.

So, I am, as of now, quitting smoking for 1 week to get his tolerence down. He hasn't smoked any weed since he woke up at 9 this morning and it's 4 now. I don't have a strong urge to use weed, but everytime he gets bored it's the first thing that comes to mind. All he does everyday is usually, hang with a friend, talk on messanger programs, talk on myspace, make songs, and get high.

So anyway, on to the questions!

First question is: What are some good things to do to help SWIM take his mind off of weed?

Second question is: Do you guys think 1 week will be good enough to get his tolerence down?

If anyone can please answer either of those questions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

PS: I have tried to do this quite often recently but he is always confronted with weed, his family smokes weed, his friends smoke weed, he's constantly confronted with it and when people are toking up and you see um coughing and shit it's pretty hard to keep his commitment, but he's going to be strong this time!

2. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    first answer: drink!! only kidding, of course. I find it helpful to avoid boredom. the more he reads, exercises, goes out in public, or whatever to keep his mind off of getting high, the easier it is for him. of course cravings will arise (usually in the first 2 or 3 days for swim, after that it's smooth sailing), but You has to stay strong and remember he is the boss, not the plant.

second answer: probably, but the longer You abstains, the more noticeable the result. a week would be swim's minimum if he was on such a quest. it will probably never be like the first few times, but You should definitely notice being high much more easily after his break.

also, if You is trying to preserve his voice/lungs, he could always either buy a vaporizer or cook with cannabis as less damaging alternatives (though vaporizing might still be harmful, just less harmful than smoking).

3. quili

quili Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim thinks its Extremely hard to quit Anything if everyone around you is doing it. That seems like it would be one of the hardest parts about swiu's situation. Because really, one of the best things to take it off swiu's mind would be to not be around it or have access to it, which would be hard given the current situation. I went from smoking pretty much everyday to none at all when she moved to a different country for several months where she didn't have access to it. BUT, that's not really a reasonable suggestion, so.

I would think that going out and exploring some new places could be entertaining and get the mind off of it. ex. new restuarants, parks, free museums, movies and such. Other than that Each Hit seems to be on to something with the suggestion of just Anything that is an activity swiu enjoys that doesn't involve smoking or that doesn't have to.

As for the tolerance question, I agree with above post. The longer swiu goes, the more it will go down. I would think (based on readings/research she's done but doesn't specifically remember...) that in about a months (maybe 2 max?) time one's tolerance would be down almost completely. Though it would still never be like the first times. Even when I went for 4 months, it wasn't like those first times, so she's pretty sure it never will be. Other than that, maybe a week will be enough to get swiu tolerance down a bit, but as soon as the smoking begins again, she would think it would probably go back pretty quickly so it doesn't seem all that effective. Still, good luck with swiu's aims.

And yes, the money really does become a problem. Swim and her friends are working on rationing a bit more because they've been having the same problem. Just start going through weed faster and faster with every day... :/

4. tehsyfdan

tehsyfdan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    57 y/o
    I have never really noticed a tolerance build up of marijuana. I am a really big guy too, well over 300 lbs. He has smoked on and off for the last 20 years, mostly on. While I was younger, he would fill bowl after bowl after bowl, but as he's gotten older, he finds that two hits off of a one hitter is sufficient. He smokes everyday too.

5. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    SWIM's also a daily smoker but if he finds the need to cut back every once in a while he only smokes one spliff that day about an hour before bed. That being said, SWIM often can't find any weed for a day or two because the supply lines here are generally terrible so he's forced to stay off weed more often than quitting weed out of his own choice. Therefore the best way to reduce weed use is simply not to have any around.

6. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    this is swim's method of quitting substances. it is how he overcame harmful cigarette and cocaine habits (though cigarettes are a great excuse for taking a break at work :) ). the best way for swim to stop taking something is to not even have it around. i suppose it's easy for swim, because he doesn't have people around him flaunting temptation in his face, but with some determination and will-power, it shouldn't be too tough to stay off the herb.

7. Strykar

Strykar Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    1. Find something interesting (a hobby perhaps?) to kill time. The lack of something to do is the biggest factor in lighting up. And "interesting" means outside the house and maybe with a new group of people who may not smoke. Think adventure and fun - rafting, skydiving...

2. A week should drop tolerance sufficiently enough for You to notice. Give it a month and watch the socks drop off.

The hard part quitting is being around smokers all the time.
    Choose.

Go see a new country for a month.
    Pretty girls with exotic accents are a surefire way to fill up your mind with something to do besides toke up all day.

8. doolishis

doolishis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM hates having to stop smoking, whether it's because there's no more, or because he has to get clean. He notices severe withdrawl symptoms for the first 3-5 days, and this is after smoking 2-3 bowls everyday for 2 months or so. He's a big time smoker.

The withdrawls can be a pain in the ass, but you'll live:
    Appetite becomes noticeably lower.
    Mood swings are very likely and common.
    Extreme boredom.
    Nightmares/freaky dreams.

Something that may REALLY helped I am 5-HTP. It's a natural supplement which can help keep serotonin levels balanced. He noticed it helped keep his mind off of weed and it kept him more calm through the withdrawls. Google it and be amazed. The stuff works. You may even keep using it afterward, but just be sure to read up on it. PM me if you're really curious about it.

Otherwise, just try to keep busy physically/mentally and stay strong. 1 week will be noticeable, but as someone else mentioned: 1 month will renew you.

9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Only the nightmares seem to be a withdrawal symptom from those examples. Marijuana boosts appetite, noticably lower appetite is simply a return to the norm. Mood swings are not a result of marijuana withdrawal, but they are more likely to happen without being stoned, again, a return to the norm. Extreme boredom is not a withdrawal symptom, it's what tends to happen when one doesn't have anything to do for the day. I am convinced that nearly all examples of cannabis withdrawal are myths.