Marjuana's Only Problem

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by enquirewithin, Jan 7, 2007.

1. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    The Orange County Register 2006

http://www.drugsense.org/html/modules.php?name=DSW/page-current#art15

This is hardly news to most of us, but the statistics are useful.

2. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    as much as i like the argument in favor of marijuana, i find this quote a bit disturbing:

In America, alcohol is responsible for 65 percent of murders, 55 percent of college rapes (that's 70,000 per year), 39 percent of traffic fatalities, 33 percent of all trauma injuries, 33 percent of drownings and other accidental deaths, and 25 percent of teen suicides.

regardless of whether the numbers are actually true, the phrase "alcohol is responsible" essentially takes all blame off the person who committed those acts. i've been drunk countless times, but i've never raped or murdered anybody (or even gotten into a fist fight), i've never tried to kill myself, i've never had traumatic injury (or caused any), and i've never been responsible for any traffic fatalities. our society needs to stop blaming the actions of drug-impaired people on the drugs and start blaming it on the people who act irresponsibly. sorry for the rant...

3. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    ^ Gotta agree with that one, I was going to make that remark too. But it wouldn't be very wrong to distort facts for the benefit ot this side after all government's BS.

I'd like the idea of legalizing drugs and letting the poorest countries in the world to have monopoly on cultivating weed, coca, opium etc and selling them worldwide. This way we could get two flies with one hit. The YK would be put to supervise this policy. Ofcourse the permanent members of YK, especially USA, wouldn't want to do that. And they would need to create huuuuge plantations in developing countries to come up with that much harvest, not possible. But I like the theoretical idea. Well I guess this is already happening to some degree as drugs are illegal, the middle east with it's poppies, Peru and it's coca.

4. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I agree that the phrase "alcohol is responsible" is misleading. It is the person's responsibility. However, it's very likely that many crimes would not have been comitted if the people concerned had not been under the influence of alchohol.
    I can't see why large plantations of cannibis are impossible-- it's not hard to grow. As you say, they already exist in some countries-- large planations of coca, opium and cannabis exist around the world.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Lebanon, South-East Asia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkestan, Turkey, Morocco, Northern India, etc.

There are plenty of places that could start churning out vast quantities of cannabis (and excellent hashish too!) if there was a legal market for it. These places already have long histories of cannabis production and culture.

I don't producing the cannabis would be the problem, even if kept to developing countries. Agriculture is a large part of developing economies ya know?

6. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    You are right when I think about it a little. My geographical knowledge is very poor and just quickly formed an image of couple of countrys that would have to come up with whole world's supply, but it wouldn't be impossible at all since ofcourse there are numerous. And there really are already huge plantations that can come up with quite a proprtion of street drugs. I remember reading somewhere that 8% of the world's trade goes to the hands of criminals by drug selling, but ofcourse the price rises remarkably from the raw material bought from these countries.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  7. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

That's the problem with the plan. The developing countries could take over a newly legalized drug trade but would probably continue to get screwed over either by internal corruption or middle men in more developed countries that make up most of the profit margins.

8. Henfer

Henfer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o
    no need to start it as its already that way. marihuana is a important part of marocco's economy. about 50% of afghanistans total income is earned with opiates.

I think alcohol is one of the hardest drugs - including illegal stuff. abusing alcohol kills just as fast as any of the "hardest drugs" like H or meth if you're addicted.

the difference is in your mind - the society teaches you that drugs are hell but alcohol is ok, as its legal.

SWIM can think of a apparature in a car which requires you to breath in for an alcohol test and not allowing to drive if too high values. could be a problem with false positive test.

other idea was kinda a "MJ Card", which is required to buy it in special stores. only to persons over 18, and it has kinda limit how much you can buy so you dont have enough for yourself and selling it to people that arent allowed to buy (too young or people known for selling it on the black market). ya, I know people will find enough ways to bypass it.

prices.. dunno. hopefully lower than todays prices or at least evening it out (price is skyrocketing in SWIM's region). MJ itself is so bloody cheap, just as tobacco, rest could be taxes. more money for your country.

9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    If marijuana ever becomes decriminalised or legalised widely, I would prefer the legal age to be 21 in order to avoid the pitfalls of bitchy school parents who would no doubt work to ban the substance again.

10. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from finland
    ^ That was about the main argument in criminalizing cannabis in the first place. William Randall Hearst's new found sensational press, which presented cannabis as a thread to the school childeren. Ofcourse there was objection as there was no evidence of schoolchilderen being menaced by cannabis, but ofcourse no one wouldn't listen -> Unanomously approved.

11. greenthumm419

greenthumm419 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Why would taxation need to be a part of decriminalization? That's just more food for the beast. When SWIM grows a vegetable garden, should he have to pay taxes on that produce?

12. ProtectedByTheGods

ProtectedByTheGods Newbie

Reputation Points:
    No government would agree to a legalization of cannabis if they weren't be
    able to tax it. ;)
    Where would be their interest in it if they couldn't make cash off it?
    I wouldn't have a problem with that. At least you would get consistent quality.
    And the black market would continue, only much lower prices.

13. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I seem to be lost... I'm pretty sure that it is costing the government to keep cannabis illegal, so wouldn't legalizing it only produce income, or at least less expenses than they currently have?

14. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    It's not costing the government, it's costing the citizens. Keeping cannabis illegal and locking up cannabis users actually generates income for the government so the only question is which way is more profitable :crazy , taxation or incarceration/criminalization. Although I have no sources I'm quite sure incarceration/criminalization wins hands down, otherwise it'd be legal.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  15. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    If I was a parent I would much prefer my high school age student to smoke pot than drink.

Anyway as for the agriculture thing I agree their comparative advantage would probably lie in cannabis as it does with much other agriculture, however because of the huge agri-business lobbies in America, the EU and Japan first world agriculture is heavily protected and subsidized making it virtually impossible for developing nations to compete. Billions of people in third world countries are left economically underdeveloped so some douchebag executive from Conagra can afford a bigger jet, or some asshole French farmer doesnt want to get a real job.

16. x cynic x

x cynic x Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Its too bad that ignorant politicians will always view marijuana as an immoral substance that will destroy society. I personally dont believe that there will ever be a larger percent of lawmakers in favor of legalization than there will be in opposition. The general population will always share an intolerance for marijuana and the majority of people will never open up to an appreciation for the plant that has such a bad reputation in a model society.

17. copeseticman

copeseticman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The only thing I dont like about smoking cannibas is the munchies that develop. It frusterates SWIM.

coPE