Side effects - MDMA induced strabismus (crossed eyes)

Discussion in 'Ecstasy & MDMA' started by a-SalviaLover, Nov 1, 2005.

1. a-SalviaLover

a-SalviaLover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    Today me and my girlfriend took some MDMA pills. It was really terrific. It was great. I liked it very much, but an hours or so after the effects came on, her father came back to her house and we were a bit scared (although not so much as we are used to be in such situations on psychedelics). She talked with him and when she came back she was cross-eyed. Her right eye was looking at her nose and the other was looking where it has to be looking. It was very strange and it has never happened to us on any psichedelic. After the X wore off, it came back in line.

Can anyone explain why this happened and is it common with MDMA? My first thought was about the film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" where one of the guys was looking at the hitch-hiker exactly the same way. They were on mecaline.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  2. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Haha, yeah, the ex-wife used to get that (with proper strong doses)

3. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Happens to SWIM all the time. SWIM also gets nystagmus (involuntary oscillation of the eyes: Sort of a side to side quiver. Have also had a rotatory nystagmus on at least 2 occasions) usually towards the end of the evening. Very interesting when looking in the mirror!

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Yeah, I've noticed this happening to a few people on hard XTC rolls. Some people can get a lazy eye when rolling but I've definitely noticed that a few hardcore pill-heads' pupils go all over the fucking place. There's this one guy I know whose left eye pops up and down when he's rolling (almost like a crystal meth addict). It's really quite disturbing. He always wears sunglasses when he rolls.

I've noticed that one of my eyes gets slightly bigger than the other when rolling but not while I trip on shrooms or acid. It's quite bizarre.

5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yup, experienced or observed all of the above and more! My favourite is E-Lip - an involuntary vibration of usually the bottom lip. Absolutely hilarious, especially on people with fuller lips - one friend gets this every time she drops, coupled with the lazy eye effect. Most attractive!

My theory is that, like high dose ssri's, the increase in serotonin from mdma causes a drop in dopamine from the centre responsible for controlling involuntary movements like tics and which when depleted can lead to Parkinson-like symptoms which we all know and love - n.b. I'm in no way saying that mdma is going to give you Parkinsons; it won't!. This would also account for gurning and chewing, both well documented effects of mdma and other serotonin boosters like Prozac at higher doses. (ref: 'Prozac Backlash', Joseph Glenmullen, plus personal observation on many occasions!). One solution might be a procyclidine or benzhexol chaser - anti-muscarinics used to treat Parkinsons and Parkinson- like symptoms associated with many medications used in psychiatry, although these drugs have their own little raft of potential unwanted effects, and are also stimulants, so caution is advised if you want to experiment. Again, only a theory.

6. eski

eski Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    I have only noticed one girl who got cross eyed i have seen more people with lazy eye.

I agree with Micklemouse, i dont take MDMA anymore i did for a very long time atleast once a week, and the amount of strange effects i have seen happen to people are halarious even disturbing in some cases but nine times out of ten they were related to the nervous system and movment, i personnaly used to have musle spasms and twitch alot even when i wasn't on the drug i noticed it more laying in bed, now that i dont touch MDMA and it has been a conciderable time scince i have, i can look back and realise how how bad it was.

7. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yeah, the ex wife used to get a seriously lazy eye as well[​IMG]

She would walk around tapping it, trying to bring it back to life - in the same fashion that a hamster would nudge his dead comrade to get him going again [​IMG]

8. a-SalviaLover

a-SalviaLover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    Interesting...

Does anybody know how MDMA causes these phenomena?

When I looked at myself in the mirror my eyes couldn't stop trembling and they were really really really dilated. I like my pupils so dilated, so I do whatever I can to keep them that way! :) I hate constricted pupils and anything that causes them to constrict.

9. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So, the MDMA itself doesn't cause the pulsy. A few years back when I did coke, speed, and e all the time I would get pulsy of the eye of the time. The first time it happened I was so concerned, he went to his doctor friend who explain that it is a eye pulsy (temperary palarilization of the eye) which are caused by stress and can be tirgered by your body reacting to a chemical load, such as rolling or getting spun. The stress the chemical puts on your body is usually just the last straw that pushes it over the edge. Once I was up partying for 3 days and had a pulsy of the eye that seemed to take over half of swims face. After coming down and getting rest this condition did not just go away like the normal eye pulsy. I was concerened and went to doctor and found out that it is a form of bells-palsy which is condition similar to herpes complex c and is triggered by high stress and usually induced into physical symptoms by stress caused by chemicals (like ecstacy.) When this occurs it can last a few weeks. It's the next stage up to the eye-pulsy and can make you look like a freak for weeks.

To avoid these types of pulsy's try some grapeseed extract. you can find it at most natural food stores. take take grapeseed extract for 72 hours before you plan on rolling or going on any chemical binge. This will help reduce the number of time of it happening and the severity of it when it does occure.

10. buzzman

buzzman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.K.
    Re: MDMA induced cross-eyedness

Man HOMERSIMPSON gets mad cross eyes when hes rolling, makes him see double.

First time HOMER bombed mdma (250mg) he didn't realize he had double vision at first, tried ordering a coke at mcdonalds with 50p thinking he had 2 50p's. Then finally realising he was only holding out 1 hand to count the money and seeing 2, thus having 4 hands whilst rolling (very hard to come to terms with when HOMER is fucked).

11. creaturefeatures

creaturefeatures Newbie

Reputation Points:

I have a friend that this happened to on mephedrone on the weekend, one of the single most funniest things I had ever seen in his life.. Close to peeing funny..

12. Quirrel

Quirrel Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

I found that wearing sunglasses used to stop SWIM's crosseyed rolls. Never did figure that one out. They were standard sunglasses (D&G ones bought at 9am one morning when I was off his nut 120 quid they cost, SWIM bloody regretted that purchase mid week) but they worked like magic, SWIM's vision would refocus and I could carry on with whatever mischief I was up to.

13. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

sounds like You brain just "thinks" this is the solution and it works for you.... Probably nothing more than placebo

14. yabbi

yabbi Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands

I have seen this once at a party, that rabbit took too much SWIM guesses... Cannot comprehend folks who wat to get so fucked up there eyes are out of control.
    Looks scared if you asked SWIM.