Measuring Doses Without A Scale

Discussion in 'Research Chemicals' started by Kid A, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Kid A

Kid A Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sure I could use a scale to measure out his 2C-I and 2C-E, or he could go get ascale. But I am lazy, and hasnt the money for a good scale. So I was thinking...would it be possible to perhaps put the dose, say 20 MG of 2C-I into a small glass of water (like a paper cup), have it dissolve into the water throughout the water equally, and then split the water in half so that for example, If swim put 20 MG of 2CI into 1 ounce of water, could he separate it into two .5 ounce cups of water each with 10 MG of 2CI, or would this idea just too good to be true?

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    How does You plan on measuring 20mg without a scale?
    If You does not have a scale or any intention of buying it he has no business playing with potent research chemicals.

3. Kid A

Kid A Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well first off I used a friends scale to measure his 25 MG and would be using it again had it not been for his friend accidentally dropping it from the top level of his house onto the floor below thus resulting in its destruction. I know its 25 MG. I want to know if his idea would workseeing as he is without a scale.

4. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    wrong forum, but the answer is yes. You could dissolve a known amount of a substance into a solvent, MIX IT THOROUGHLY, and then divide the solution evenly.

the proper way to do this would be to add solvent (in the case of phenethylamines, water or alcohol work best) to the substance until the combination totals a certain volume. do not add a measured volume to the substance, as the substance could increase the total volume and alter swiy's measurements. note that more liquid equates to safer measurement of intended dosage, but the substance must be totally dissolved and homogeneous to ensure one dose is not significantly stronger than another.

5. London_Bloke

London_Bloke Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    This has to be SWIM's least favorite post. It's come up several times in the half a year she's been a member of this forum and it gnaws at her every time. I think being the parent of a couple of college-age daughters is what gets her Vend-A-Goat.

The other thing is that no one ever seems at all worried that what they are about to do could land them in the emergency department. The very statement "I am lazy". ARGH!

If You is too lazy to take good advice, then why ask for it?

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Well put. It rather tends to read like this:

"I'm about to do something stupid. I am going to end up in the emergency-room thrashing about like a fish-on-a-dock. I won't listen to you idiots because I'm immortal and you're all fucked! Do you have any suggestions?"

GET A SCALE!!

7. Kid A

Kid A Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    RELAX!!!!! I know the amount he has! He measured it on a friends scale! Its 25 MG of 2C-I. All I am asking is if he can seperate the doses so he could have say 12.5 MG of 2C-I in one dose and 12.5 MG in another simply to have smaller doses as I have been told that taking MORE than 15 MG isnt much different than taking JUST 15! This being said I would like to cut his dose to 15 MGs and 10 MGs. I understand that it would be irresponsible to take it all at once which is what I am trying to avoid by cutting the dose up, even though chances are nothing bad will happen if he took it all at once. SWIM simply cannot afford a scale at the moment, which is why he is asking this question!

8. Memantine

Memantine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I dont know the solubility of 2C-x compounds in water or alcohol but from what I've read others have done this with great success. Follow the advice of EachHit. Use a syringe to compare the volume before and after and divide by two or do whatever math you prefer using the syringes' own measure system, the bigger the syringe the more certain you can be ("note that more liquid equates to safer measurement of intended dosage").
    It is true that the best advice one can give you is to get a scale but your situation is understandable, you sound knowledgeable plus you say you already have a measured amount by scale. If that's the case you're quite safe I would say.
    But why do you say 20 mgs and then 25? Throw it all so you won't have to "eyeball" anything and be certain of what you're getting.

You could also have used the Search Engine, dont be too lazy to not even do that, I'm pretty sure you would have had it answered right away by that as Badness says, this topic has been covered so many times already with all due responses and all good and safe advice.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  9. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In this particular case (the original amount was weighed properly) then yes, You can dissolve it in a known amount of solvent for titrating doses. This is only possible when the original amount was properly weighed.

This does not apply to You but is a general warning: If one orders X amount of chemical from a vendor, they do not have a known amount! Mistakes can and do occur on vendors' side. I was once sent twice the amount he ordered!

The lower the ratio of solvent to drug (1mg per 1mL is a very safe and simple ratio) the more precision can be had from liquid measurement. You must have the proper tool for measuring mL accurately - a precisely labeled oral syringe or a pipette. Measuring in "drops" is not accurate enough.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006