meditation aid?

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by milk, May 3, 2005.

1. milk

milk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hey, can anyone tell me like what kind of plant would be good with meditation? Like just a mild relaxing plant, nothing that will make me trip balls or w/e. I just want something that I can use to get new insight, and just to chill out. Something to relax me? Like a light marijuana/ opium high, but more gentle? Like, something that I can grow too? Thanks

milk

2. ramblingrose

ramblingrose Newbie

Reputation Points:
    for meditation: air

we got endorphins in the brain

that do the same thang

keep you mind clean serene beamin with joy

let the sunshine unleash your blind mind

watch the beast leap outta the basement

barin fangs

and rusty chains

welcome your beaten soul home

with arms open so whole

like the long lost brothas you are with open scars

Make room for the wound to heal just feel the space

embrace the place you are, now, pow, wow, yow

look at us now

lets give it all we got at this sacred pow wow

the aide you need is a class, guru, teacher...a discipline...some
    psycadelics may encourage you to go seek one....but drugs are NOT
    meditation aides...that's not real meditation imho.

1. 2/5,
      Pointless Post
      May 10, 2007
  3. ramblingrose

ramblingrose Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I know you said you were looking for something light and gentle and not
    really a drug...but still, it seems like your looking for a
    shortcut...I think it's more important to keep practicing and build up
    a strong habit of being able to sit down and meditate regularly...the
    longer you practice regularly, the deeper you will go.

4. betsym

betsym Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Milk, Blue Lotus or Kratom will help you relax and think, just floating along. You only need a little as too much will be sedating. The Super premium enhanced Kratom is active at small doses. Blue Lotus, either drank as tea or drank with alcohol will give you a mild opium-type buzz. Do not combine alcohol with Kratom, though, because it may depress the central nervous system too much. Some drugs can indeed open you up to being able to meditate and point the way to finding other ways to meditate. There's a difference between a catalyst and a shortcut. A catalyst is to help get you started. There is nothing wrong with that. Blue Lotus and Kratom are both legal, as of right now. Of course, anything you choose to use can be a catalyst if you let it be. Kratom grows wild in Thailand, where it is illegal so I don't know about growing that and Blue Lotus is grown under special conditions also. Salvia is the only plant I know of that you can grow but it is starting to be scheduled in some places. Do a search and you will be able to find out.

5. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    You might also want to try Opium lettuce (Lactuca virosa). Very mild, relaxing effects that I think would work great with you. It's known as an opium substitute.

Also I would strongly suggest what betsym said.

6. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Try Aswagadha or Indian Ginseng.

7. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    An empty stomach.

I just remembered: there's the legend of how tea was discovered: by a monk, who tasted water a leaf fell into. He noticed he could use the tea for meditation.

8. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    If the legend you say is from Chinese Green tea,that's how it goes;A monk who brought zen meditation said to have meditated in a cave for nine years looking at a wall in front of him.And in order to avoid falling asleep cut the skin which cover the eyes,(don't know the word),and where the skin dropped on the ground, growed tea leaves.After that,Green tea represents a substance for awareness.
    This monk named Bodhidharma or Daruma in Japanese,created shaolin kung fu-all, according to the legend of course.If you go to see the Shaolin Temples you can see this cave as well.

9. FrankenChrist

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    We gots ourselves a real Rocky there. :p

10. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    You have to learn proper breathing techniques, they will relax your mind and body and voila, you are ready to meditate. Herbs and drugs might be helpful in combination with the breathing, but if you just take the drugs you will just get stoned in my opinion.
    Meditation has a lot to do with self-discipline and patience, you have to endure the fact that nothing very stimulating is happening, and that if something stimulating is happening it's most likely just Mara trying to get your attentinon and you should not get carried away by it.
    Personally, swis have found it best to be "clean" if possible while meditating, as this makes it easier to stay focused and not get bored. On the other hand, swis has meditated while severly stoned and managed to turn that around from sedation to tranquillity.
    So meditation would be good when using drugs, but drugs might not be good when meditaing.
    Highly subjective opinions, by the way.

And, yes, Bodhidharma was a bad-ass, at the end he meditated for so long that his limbs fell off. That might have been in the same session where he gave birth to the tea plant.

11. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Don't mean to be an arse, but IMO it would be a VERY good idea to train yourself to relax/let go without the use of substances. That's actually one of the goals of (many forms of) meditation, so in a way taking a drug is defeating the whole purpose.

12. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    What Nicaine said.

Now I know this is going to sound stupid, but the best substances for deep and long meditation for SWiM are stimulants. Amphetamine and Methylphenidate has both worked extremely good. Weird but true.

13. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I totally agree.
    You meditate to bring your endogenous neurotrasmitters/hormones in the most ideal balance by yourself,thats why are doing that.:cool:

14. testodan

testodan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Hasn't I tried Amphetamine but with ritalin could have worked for SWIM maybe via Dopamine- BTW hasn't tried for meditation while on ritalin,maybe he would give a try someday.

Didn't catch you man,sorry my English aren't well enough.Can you explain me what do you mean by this phrase?:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  15. FrankenChrist

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    I am referring to one of the Rocky films, where boxer Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) is so beaten up he can't open his eyes anymore. He gets his eyelid cut off so he can see again.

16. dancingbear

dancingbear Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    LOL

LMAO!

Jokes aside, I think meditation should be just meditation. It's the whole point of it, learning to calm yourself without the aid of any substances.

Sit down. Breathe in. Breathe out. Let thoughts flow. Let them come, let them go. Follow them for a while, as long as they feel natural and you can watch them at ease. Don't get stuck on anything. They're just thoughts. You are here, now, forever. Enjoy the bliss of right now. There's time to worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

If something, probably green tea. Or milk. Or both.

17. Meneer_Cactus

Meneer_Cactus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    1 or 2 hits of salvia can make your head clear of thoughts, but I agree with most posters here it is better to do without any substances.

18. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    Most likely only for certain people who get therapeutic effects from amphetamines.

19. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If you take it in low doses you get pretty much the same effect. Its just more pronounced in some people

20. pillz

pillz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    just practice as it took swim a very long time to acheive altered states of mind/feeling with meditation. in case You hasnt reached a high level yet...let You explain what it can feel like. complete and utter numbness all over and even got scared once because I couldnt feel his heart beating in his chest because swims chest got numb...LOL