Meds Roll Call

Assorted Nuts

1. Heretic.Ape.

Heretic.Ape. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What meds are you currently taking, what dosages, frequency, symptoms they address and how are they working for you.

Monkey's Med List:

Valproic Acid (Depakote, divelproex, etc):
    dosage: 1000mg 2xdaily
    Anti-convulsant (for his epileptic seizures)/mood stabilizer
    (BPtype1)

Levetiracatam (Keppra):
    dosage: 1000mg x2
    Anti-convulsant

Citalopram (celexa, etc):
    dosage: 20mg
    Anti-depressant (BP1 depressive symptoms)

Seroquel:
    150mg, which I have been cutting in half (75mg)
    Anti-psychotic, BP1 manic symptoms

The anti-convulsants seem to work pretty well as long as they are taken religiously every day. His average rate of seizures (grand mal) while compliant with this med regiment is roughly once a year. It is considerably more if he is being sloppy with his med-taking. He would probably have them nearly daily if not taking anything.

The citalopram seems to be doing him a good deal of service, as since he began taking it again about two months ago, he has been free of excessive suicidal ideation and extreme depression; though the winter doldrums are certainly affecting him as they always seem to. However his steadiness and lack of curling up in the fetal position, rocking slowly waiting to die is a very welcomed sign of the drug's effectiveness.

The seroquel he just began taking after leaving it in his closet for a year. He's been hesitant to take anti-psychotics as they tend to have a numbing affect on him that he finds unacceptable for a quality life. One thing he can say is that they seem to be knocking down his mild dysphoric mania already, and they sure do knock the little guy out when he takes it before bed (whch is always nice since he has such trouble sleeping).

He is also using:

Cannabis:
    He smokes a few times daily, taking a few puffs each time, never more than a bowl per session unless hanging out getting blazed purely for recreation with friends.

It evens out his moods, helps him relate his emotions to his thoughts, enabling enhanced CB analysis and intervention through, what shall I say?, meta-awareness (stepping back and being aware of what's going on in the field of his awareness). It has proven one of his most valued tools in dealing with BP, working to bring him back to center in either mania or depression (wonderful mood stabilizer). It also helps with his epilepsy.

Kratom:
    He uses this in spurts, or perhaps binges is a better word. Usually during dysphoric manias in an attempt to counteract the dysphoria. He's not wholly sure what to think about this intervention method, but it's one of his current projects for self medication. (his last project can be seen in my blog on Salvia for depression).

He also takes miscellaneous meds and substances including but not limited to:
    trazadone, lamotrigine, alprazolam (which he has a hard time getting, but wishes he could have a long-standing rx for. Nothing else touches this for his acute social anxiety!), and... idk, I'd have to go rummage through the closet and I'm feeling way too lazy right now :p

2. DanTheFuckinMan

DanTheFuckinMan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    What the cat is prescribed .
    Lisinopril 25mg High blood pressure. Cat thinks the dosage needs to be raised :(
    Albuteral PRN Asthsma. A lifesaver!!!!!!
    Lithium 300mg x 3 Mood stabilizer. It works, but he still has cycles, just not as bad.
    Lexapro 10mg x 1 Anti-depressant. Works good in the winter. DCed during summer
    Abilify 20mg x1 Anti-psychotic. No delusions or hallucinations is a good thing :vibes:
    Xanax 1mg x5 Anti-anxiety. Only thing keeping the cat from killing idiots and eliminates the heebie geebies in his gullet.

Illicit drugs abused by the cat as of the 1st of the year. Mostly recreational, but the cat is getting old. Arthritis, carple tunnel, compressed discs. The cat doesn't want to bore you with his ever growing list of ailments.
    High grade Marijuana Cuz My cat loves good herb :thumbsup:
    Hash
    Honey oil
    75 mcg/hr Fentanyl patches used buccaly
    10 mg Vicodan
    350 mg Soma
    2 mg Clonapin
    50 mg Demerol

OTC drugs cat has used since begining of year
    Zantac Acid reflux and opiate potentiator
    Benadryl Allergies and opiate potentiator
    Robitussin DM My cat adds a few things to it and will drink on it all day. The cat's playmate gets worried when the cat is on syrup, as his fur turns a pale death grey. Cat feels fantastic, but he says his syrup recipe is a bit insane. The cat would share it, but he is pretty sure it's not safe, so the secret recipe will die with him.

3. Doctor Arthur

Doctor Arthur Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from Canada
    Diagnoisis; Bi Polor Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, General Anxiety.
    Medication; Dextroamphetamine sulfate, Two 10mg spansuels (sp) in morning.
    Clonazepam, Two 0.5mg in morning, two at night.
    Quetiapine, Two 25mg at bedtime.

The dexidrine extended release spansuels do work well for my ADHD so long as I don't take them after 12:00pm. I do find they will keep me awake if I take them after that time
    The Clonazepam are good for my anxiety, it took a little time for me to get the dose right but I fell like I am at a perfect dose right now. I originally wanted these pills for my GAD but later found out it is also prescribed for bi Polor disorder along with Dextroamphetamine.
    Quetiapine is a commonly used prescription by doctor in my area, and seems like a popular sleeping pill. They do work well for sleep but I find they can be a bit to strong for me. I use only half of a 25mg pill and sometime can sleep for up to 10 hours. I am a little afraid asking my doctor to put me on a new med for my insomnia because he might just cut back on my Clonazepam which I don't use for sleep so much as battling anxiety attacks.
    I had a problem with self medicating my problem before finding out about the bi Polor and got addicted to the one drug that cures everything, Opiates.
    I am taking 55mg of methadone everyday aswell and my doc has been great with not just pegging me as an addict and not medicating me properly like I assume most doctors would. I realize how lucky i am and do not abuse my scripts like an addict. Opiates were really just a fix for a deeper issue that is being taken care of with my current medications.

4. DanTheFuckinMan

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My cat was on Depakote for a couple years. Gained a BUNCH of weight!!!

5. Crazy Insane Sanity

Crazy Insane Sanity Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My bipolar imaginary friend is prescribed 300mg Seroquel a night for mania and depression, and 20mg citalopram a day for anxiety and depression.

The Seroquel he's been on for a few years and took several months to adjust to, and is a bitch to get on, but my friend really doesn't have any side effects once he's adjusted. It does wonders for leveling him out.

The citalopram he just got on about a month and a half ago, and it seems to be doing it's job, but ejaculation has become nearly impossible. Sure, he can go hardcore for like an hour in bed, and gets a hell of a work out, but when he can't finish, he winds up incapacitated for hours with the most horrendous vasocongestion you could possibly imagine...so sex has become quite infrequent lately (not that you guys probably cared to know all that :p).

My imaginary friend has also used marijuana for a long time to help level him out. If he smokes too much, he gets a tolerance, and that can cause mood and anxiety issues (I'm guessing from the down-regulation of the receptors?). He's found the best bet is to take like one or two hits off a bowl of good herb a night, as it helps relieve stress and anxiety, and can help mellow him out, but doesn't lead to tolerance for him. It gives him something to look forward to at the end of the day, and gives him that little bit of relaxation and wind down time he needs.

6. Heretic.Ape.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^ So it took him a couple months to adjust to seroquel? This has been something monkey has had a lot of trouble with. I guess he just needs to be a little more patient. But man, it just zombifies him and messes with his concentration and seems to dampen his capacity for positive affect. Was this something noticed and went away over time?
    Monkey also noticed trouble really getting into sex after starting citalopram (celexa), which of course made him feel bad for his GF. It's not so much that he can't get it up, but trouble staying "hot" enough to keep interest, and practically impossible to cum; which makes GF feel like she's not able to please him. And we all hate feeling that we can't satisfy our partners.

7. DanTheFuckinMan

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    My cat was never able to adjust to Seroquel. Even on half the smallest dose, it would put poor kitty on the floor crawling to bed. It seemed to build up in his system, causing him to pass out frequently during the day, sometimes while driving :(
    My cat only uses it when mania sets in and the cat is unable to sleep for more than 2 consecutive nights or more. It does seem to "reset" him to baseline when that occurs.
    My cat has never had any psych drugs that caused lack of ejaculation, but has found that opiates do cause this for him. Probably a known side effect, though he never cared to investigate.

8. Crazy Insane Sanity

Crazy Insane Sanity Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yeah, it took my imaginary friend about 4 months to pass the zombified, can't keep your eyes open stage. He eventually adjusted though, and now wouldn't even know he's on anything if it weren't for him being much more calm and collected.

Edit: OK, this may be slightly over exaggerated, but the side effects are extremely minimal compared to the reports I hear. It gives him constipation, and exacerbates his pre-existing troubles with waking up. That's about the extent of it though.

9. pixie358

pixie358 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM was diagnosed with bipolar disorder for the first time when I was 18. I was prescribed depakote (an anticonvulsant)... took it for about a week, then decided there was no way SWIM was bipolar and threw the meds away. This exact same situation happened again when SWIM was 20, then when SWIM was 24, then again at 26, and each of these times SWIM basically thought it was a bunch of bullshit. At age 27 SWIM finally agreed to take the meds.... but the bipolar had gone untreated for so long that it was really bad. SWIM became manic, starting doing a LOT of coke (usually about 2 eight balls a day every single day - sleeping only about 3 night a week max, and this went on for about 6 or 7 months.) and lost so much weight that at 5'5" SWIM only weighed about 85 pounds. SWIM also started using oxycontin to help calm down when SWIM because short of breath from all the coke. So SWIM then started doing speed balls, which was a very very bad thing (although it WAS pretty fun) because I stopped sleeping and eating altogether. SWIM then tried to kill herself... she swallowed 30 pills of 10 mg 's of Ambien... SWIM woke up in a locked room in an ER, hospital gown soaked in blood which apparently came from SWIM ripping out her IV's over and over int he ambulance. SWIM doesn't remember any of this. Anyway, SWIM was locked down on the adult psych unit... wearing hospital gowns and scrubs, eating meals with fellow crazies, trying to sleep despite my annoying, narcissistic, borderline personality disorder, WAY too talkative, 18-year old ditzy irritating girl. This event led the dr's to change SWIM's meds and I can honestly say that even though it's a lot of meds, I haven't felt this "in-control" since I was kid. So here's what I take now (a combo that works REALLY well for me):

Sseroquel 400 mg at bedtime
    Zyprexa 20 mg at bedtime
    Lamictal 200 mg a day
    Trileptal 300 mg a day
    Clonazepam 0.5 mg four times a day
    Ambien 10 mg every night at bedtime
    Lyrica 300 mg a day (this is really for my fibromyalgia but it actually helps biplor disorder too)
    Melatonin 3 mg every night at bedtime (helps you sleep, it's over the counter)

SWIM self medicates with the following:

Oxyxcontin 80 mg pills - usually take 2 pills (160 mg's over the course of 8 hours or so)
    Ritalin (20 mg) and Focalin (not sure of the dose) - SWIM grinds them up and snorts them every day all day. SWIM realizes this is likely to be a problem but I am not going to deal with that right now.
    Cocaine - can only afford to do it once a week right now... I usually go through 2 eight balls over one day and night and the next morning. then when it runs out SWIM just goes back to snorting the Ritalin.

10. Heretic.Ape.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Recent additions to my medical arsenal:

Amphetamine salts (Adderall) - Attention and concentration/motivation issues. She had me take an ADHD assessment. Apparently if you score above 14 you have ADHD. I scored 34. Not surprising as I'd had concentration trouble all my life.

Clonazepam - Social Anxiety.

Still playing with dosages a bit.

Kratom has been cut out.

11. alienesseINspace

alienesseINspace Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Texas, U.S.A.
    I have depression and anxiety. I am supposed to take daily:

30 mg Lexapro
    200 mg Lamictal
    8 mg Ativan
    10 mg Ambien

I actually take:

4 mg Ativan
    occasionally 10 mg Ambien

Other stuff:
    a few bowls of Kratom (smoked)
    alcohol maybe once every 2 - 3 weeks

I stopped weed back in December. If it were legal where I live and if I had the funds to buy expensive dank, I probably would still enjoy weed.

So far, minimizing medication intake has been a positive experience.

12. EPrentiss

EPrentiss Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, U.S.A.
    Prentiss'es "list o' plenty" Dx: Bipolar I D/O

1. Lithium 600mg bid
    2. Trileptal 600mg qhs
    3. Prozac 80mg qam
    4. Strattera 25mg qam
    5. Klonopin 0.5mg tid
    6. Norco 10/325 (post surgery) bid
    7. Phenobarbital 64.8mg qhs (seizures)
    8. Botox q 9 weeks for tardive dyskinesia (thanks Seroquel)

13. tkd92

tkd92 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    1) Zoloft 200mg daily
    2) Seroquel 150mg as needed nightly for sleep
    3) Propranolol 100mg as needed for anxiety/sleep
    4) Adderall XR 90mg as needed for concentration
    5) Trazadone 150mg for sleep
    6) Klonopin 3mg as needed for anxiety
    7) Cannabis for nausea/anxiety
    8) Kratom for creativity

14. aemetha

aemetha Sexy Potato Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from New Zealand
    Bipolar type 1, Insomnia, Seasonal affective disorder.

1) Bupropion 150mg daily
    2) Valproate 1000mg daily
    3) Melatonin 1.5mg - 3mg daily as required for sleep
    4) Cannabis as required for sleep
    5) Pramipexole 0.25mg as required for Restless Legs Syndrome

15. haloperidol

haloperidol Flying high Silver Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Dx: schizophrenia

Meds (daily totals):
    Lithium 1500 mg
    Seroquel 800 mg
    Vraylar 6 mg (newish antipsychotic)
    Haldol 15-20 mg
    Klonopin 0.5-1 mg
    Zubsolv 8.6/2.1 mg (equivalent to 12/3 mg suboxone)

They all work reasonable well.

Thinking of ditching the vraylar cause not sure if it’s doing anything, and 3 antipsychotics feels a bit excessive.

The Seroquel makes me tired.

Tried all the atypicals and Haldol is the only thing that really helps with the voices. Used to be on a much higher dose (50 mg) and developed pseudoparkinsonism.

Been on antipsychotics 9 years and have tardive dyskenesia of the tongue. Whatever, it’s a fine price for being alive and able to hold down a part time job.

Tried clozapine for 6 months the felt like a zombie and couldn’t stop drooling — not conducive to live. Although I didn’t try to kill myself during that period so there’s that.

Cheers!