Megadose of st. John's wort

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Alfa, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Quite some years ago I was experimenting with st. Johnsworth caps. When ingesting 10times theadvised dose ofit colors would become brighter, my mood was lifted. In intensity I could compare it with 25 mg's of MDMA. So a light but pleasurable high, with noside effects. Note that since it is unclear to what extent the MAO inhibiting effect of St. Johnsworth goes I always refrained from other stimulants, fungusor other possible hazardswhile doing this.

Do any of you have experience with this?

2. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Hmm... very interesting indeed.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Most MDMA tablets have 70 - 140 mg in them. 140 mg is a normal dose according to Shulgin (PIHKAL). Personally I need more; 180 mg's fine for starters.

4. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    St. Johnsworth is a herb that has been proven to be just as effective as a antidepressant as prozac. You can buy the concentrated form in any drugstore.

5. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Wow. What the fuck? I know a few people on prozac for depression..

And it's in the form of an OTC pill? What is a normal for treating depression? 1 pill a day? And how can a antidepressant be sold OTC? I mean seeing as most others arnt. And how effective is it for treating depression in your experience? I dont know if you've taken it for depression, but I know next to nothing about prozac, except that i've snorted it a few times..

6. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Alfa im curious how many caps your researcgers used in your megadose, and if you know how many mgs where in each? Swim picked up some gelcaps today along with some damiana ( just got done drinking some damiana tea, never tried it before), anyways do you know if there are any risks of to high of doses? I just wanna wait for a little mroe info on this .

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    You can od on almost anything. Passionflower goes great with Damiana. Especially for erotic purposes. You are right about the MAOI qualities. This is why you shouldn't take to much.

St. Johnsworth: I took2 times 5caps(2-3 hours apart)each containing 1000 mcg hypericin, 9000 mcg hyperforide and hyperoside. More would not be pleasurable. If you take, do so without interactions of other drugs. BTW St. Johnsworth interferes with many medicines taken around the same time.

8. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I have tried this to no effect, it could be due to the kind used.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I have tried several brands and found a large difference in quality. The best way is just get a brand, which your local drugstore advises as strong and carefully work your way up the dose.I would start with 5 caps and decide if and which second dose you'll take. As for the brand you have: If you feel absolutely nothing at 10 caps, double the dose or buy another brand.

The MAOI I refered to was Passionflower. St. Johnsworth is suspected of being one, but that has never been proven. Caution is needed in this regard.

10. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Do you think passionflower would have any effect being taken this way? of course being careful and following all the rules of taking an maoi but does it have any good recreational effects?

11. Gerard

Gerard Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ive found takin large doses of st johns wort when takin stimulants like ritalin, helps with the anxiety these drugs can cause and also the comedown. I think ive read that it works better wen taken continuously over time, but that mite just be for depression. now to go off topic for a second. Psilocybe S, you said you've snorted prozac, did it have any effect?

12. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    I would not take passionflower in large doses. I have bad experiences with taking to much maoi's.

13. RoboCop

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I never have really messed with maoi's at all, is their any worth trying?

14. Alfa

Reputation Points:
  15. pancho

pancho Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Minnesota, U.S.A.
    damn i did this and i felt very sick all day until i decided i would finally throw it up. if my stomach didn't hurt it would of been a pretty decent high but i dont think i want to feel sick again on something like that

16. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Which of the above did you try?

17. pancho

pancho Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Minnesota, U.S.A.
    i did st. johns wort. im not sure exactly how much but it was about 10X the amount advertised

18. brooklyn718

brooklyn718 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Due to my curiosity on this post i tried the 10X dose. I never had done X or E in my life, but ill tell you that the effects are what i belive E is like. Low dose of it anyhow.

I had 10X the dose of a .9 mg extract. The first hour I wasnt paying attention I guess and thought that it was not working. I then made contact with a family member I admit to being frustrated with and get angry at daily because of his lying and basic neglect. I had uncovered a lie immediately and began to flare up, (i have somewhat a temper) and as I was getting into my common state of rage( accompanied with post anxiety as I exert much energy during these states) something swept over me, a calmness, i tired to fight it as i forgot about taking the St. Johns Wort, but saw the hurt that the other individual was feeling, and I was in a normal state. I even felt a closeness and sympathy for this person. I then had a shot of expresso, which lacked stimulant quality at the time but increased my wellbeing.

I knew I was inebriated 10 minutes later, I had waled to a grocery store to buy something to eat. Its dark outside and the walk there seemed normal. When I first walked inside I felt like something was different. As I walked down the isles I recall the cerial boxes were screaming at me. The colors were glaring and poping out in astounding form. In general my visual perception was changed. I felt only slight intoxication, I would say equal to a small bong hit, but the experiance felt so normal and not alien. I felt as ease with thosearound me, and my mind was calm as I would attribute to 2 mg of xanax. Im usualy strung out because of financial problems and I know my anxiety isnt from achemical imbalance, simply from life stress. I left the store feeling light but not light headed. As I walked I had an effect which reminded me of my first cannabis experiances. I perceived my legs as my child legs, maybey from when I was 10 or so, they just felt small and tender(i was experiancing cramps all day from work up until this point) I felt at comfort and ease with life and with everything, strange because im usualy so strung out ill flip out at the drop of a hat. I felt no sedation, stimulation was beginging to increase slowly due to previous espresso shot. I smoked a cigerette on the way home and I did not feel dizzy from it. I only felt euphoria which was odd because I do not attribute nicotine to euphoria, I think that it cuases more anxiety than euphoria.

I take lecithin and a few smart products daily for memory and thought process. Currently do not do drugs, including alcohol besides nicotine(for 3 months). I am experianced with a world of drugs and I am familar with the differences between plecebo and real effects. This is not placebo. I am feeling it right now, I notice it is slighly difficult for me to type and seinfeld is even more apealing than usual.My thought process is almost a machine, since I have been using smart products for months, but right now I notice my mind cannot work like it has been, ie recalling youthful experiances is almost impossible, on the smart products I recall "new" memories each day that have been stored away.

This drug in large doses is perfect to keep around the house for emergencies. If there is a stressful family event or other life difficulty I would recomend this over and intoxicating drug. People will know somethings wrong with you if you are high strung because this will work that far. I cannot feel anything except positive feelings when I try. (this might be good for first dates so you do not treat your date as gold, IE you treat her as a person and not someone you will do anything to sleep with)I will follow up on the after effects I get tomoro morning.
    < =text/>
    <!--
    nopopups();
    //-->

19. brooklyn718

brooklyn718 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    This morning I woke up feeling a little groggy, when i looked in the mirror my eyes were slits compared to that of being drunk and stoned. This was remidied by a cup of green tea. I would like to add that when i was in complete darkness before i went to sleep I noticed being in a psychedelic like state, things looked liquid like and my sense of euphoria and night vision was enhanced, I decided to get up and put on a ean martin song "return to me" that i am obsessed with. I got a huge rush of ephoria at this point. I was amazed. even now a day later i think im lying to myself lol. The effects lasted long until i went to sleep so over 6 hrs. peak probably 2 solid hours quickly occuring after an hour an 15 of ingestion. come up is slight sudden waves of calmness at the 40 min mark.
    < =text/>
    <!--
    nopopups();
    //-->

20. enigmatic

enigmatic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on this whatsoever. I
    tried smoking the actual foliage that a bought from an herbal shop, but
    the effect was extremely weak at best. Am I wasting me time even asking
    this question? Or are there actual effects to be had from the active
    constituents(I have no idea what they are) in this plant? Thankyou for