Combinations - Melatonin x Ambien (Zolpidem)

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC

Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have searched the forum and have found nothing about mixing Melatonin (1mg) with an Ambien (10mg)

What would happen?

My theory is that it would just make you more drowsy and combine with the ambien...

i wanna stay awake for the ambien effects..do you think i would be able to along with the melatonin....?

2. napoleon in rags

napoleon in rags Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have taken Ambien recreationally several times. My guess is that melatonin would have no effect except making you more sleepy.

3. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    actually I (legally) take them together all the time. does it work better? Does it work worse? who knows. if you are taking them for their intended pupose (sleep aids) shouldn't pose any porblems, just don't take and stay up to watch an hour or two of TV. you'll miss the bus. so that I don't get hooked on ambien (or lunesta) I will not usually take them more than 4 days in a row. the days I take off, I might take like 2-3 (3mgs each) melatonins. figure it might help some. I'm thinking that taking 10 does like nothing. that's what shulgin said anyway.

I really don't get what the recreational uses of ambien are but who am I to judge. I rely on them a lot to sleep so I don't waste them for kicks.

4. Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC

Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    the first couple of times i used ambien, i noticed the effects. But lately i have been taking them orally and insufflating a couple.

Cant get the desired effects anymore. imnot just gonna stop trying to use ambien recreationally but they are MAGNIFICENT for their intended purposes.

5. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I've been taking Melatonin for the past 16 day's now everynite before bed. I have trouble sleeping, so i thought I'd give it a try since you can by them OTC. I have had many experiences with Ambien and knows of it's effects when taking it as normal or for a recreational use. Since we all know that Ambien is a sleeping aid, the most common sense aproach I could have is that when taking both together, you'll end up being even more sleepy, and maybe even have a better sleep.
    But, I wasn't sure so I looked up some information on on the net and this is what I what I found...

"Melatonin is the all-natural nightcap. It's secreted by the pineal gland, a pea-size structure at the center of the brain, as our eyes register the fall of darkness." At night melatonin is produced to help our bodies regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The amount of melatonin produced by our body seems to lessen as we get older. Scientists believe this may be why young people have less problem sleeping than older people" A
    AND, I also found this...
    According to one report, "45 percent of the users said the hormone Melatonin did nothing for them."
    ....So, basically, Melatonin isn't a very strong drug, compared to Ambien, which is why ofcourse it can be bought OTC and why it is not a sechudled drug...so actually know one really knows exactly what it would do until they try it. I could almost promise that if your going for a recreational nite, then you'r not going to get anything more out of taking both. If you just want better sleep, then maybe taking both would help, or you could just tell your doctor there not working, maybe a higher dose would help.

6. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Miss Methylene, that stat was of some interest. Melatonin has not been established as the main substance that regulates sleep. Despite this, many sources will have you believe that melatonin is the stuff that dreams are made of. Basically, melatonin is a byproduct of serotonin, but there is a lot of evidence suggesting that it is invloved in the sleep cycle. It is found in cows milk, which is the reason why some doctors will go as far as recommending it before bed time.

At any rate, there should be no problem with taking ambien and melatonin together.

7. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    Is it really found in cow's milk? I would have never thought of that. I can picture a doctor suggest it for that reason, lol. How did you find out that it is found in cow's milk, i'm interested!

8. sands of time

Reputation Points:
    It has become well known by many who are "in touch" with nature, if you will, that milk has melatonin. I'm not a nature buff by any stretch of the imagination, but through various reading, I picked up this factiod. Though you can buy melatonin pills over the counter, you risk being ripped of since it's not regulated. The FDA does one good thing only, making sure you get what you pay for.

There is an alternative, and it's milk. The best choice would probably be "night time milk", which is supposivly high in melatonin. I question that because there again, who is gonna regulate that? At any rate, even if you get ripped off, you still have perfectly good milk. Also, placebo can fool the best of us. Anothing thing to note, milk taken from the cow during the night usually has the highest melatonin content.

9. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    Wow, interesting. I've taken 9mg of Melatonin tonite, still not sleepy. Yet the first day I bought it OTC, I took 2 pills which is 6mg and felt sleepy...I'm thinking your right, placebo can fool anyone.

10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Melatonin in cow's milk. Hmm...I know tryptophan is.

I've found that the occasional use of melatonin will, for me, elicit very vivid dreams.Can help with lucid dreaming as well. But occasional is the operative word. If done more than, say, once a month it loses effect for me.

Mooooo!

11. sands of time

Reputation Points:
  12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes, but can you plug it?

13. Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC

Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    well, thanks for the information Methylene. Now i know not to try to take them both.

:p

14. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I only use melatonin to help get over jet lag. You can take it before sleeping for a day or two after landing. It is supposed to help your body resynchronise with the new time zone. I think it helps but I'm not certain!

15. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda

16. hazeinmybong2

hazeinmybong2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    I think the quality of melatonin varries greatly. I have used sublingual tabs at 2mg that worked pretty well. I also tried some 1mg (took 2) pills that I swallowed and they seem to work half as well. They say on the bottle that you shouldn't exceed 3mg a day.

I think our friend here wants to use ambien for the crazieness that happens if you take them and stay awake. So he should probably just take ambien and drink a coke.

17. pharmapsyche

Reputation Points:
    I agree with you Haze, if your looking to use Ambien for recreational value, just stick with the Ambien and no Melatonin. I noticed how you said the bottle says you shouldn't exceed 3mg a day, which is kinda strange since the Melatonin I bought OTC actually is 3mg. pills. You would think if they didn't want anyone to exceed over 3mg, they wouldn't even make 3mg's, because I'm sure many people take more than 1 pill at time, hum..

18. hazeinmybong2

hazeinmybong2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Its too bad tryptophan isn't available OTC anymore. I love how you feel after thanksgiving dinner.

19. scotty6435

scotty6435 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've found melatonin to be more effective than OTC and herbal sleeping aids and even benzos for getting refreshing sleep. I take 3mg of Puritan's Pride brand melatonin approx 2 hours before bed and it really helps and the longer I've taken it the more pronounced the effects are. It's cheap as hell and I have helped out my girlfriend and friends with this stuff. As this is a legal 'drug' I guess I can mention sources; a *well known auction site* is your friend, it's at least half the price of other websites.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
  20. Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC

Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    We didnt get it at a website... we got it at this natural drug store.. it had alot of those muscle formula things too. I dont exactly know what they are...

Tags: