Drug info - Melatonin

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by nikonikad, Aug 12, 2004.

1. nikonikad

nikonikad Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from sweden
    for my sleep problems i thought to ingest 3-4 times per week Melatonin but i did not know the risks of a longterm use, could the my body entirely stop to produce his own Melatonin?

2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I tried it, doesn't work worth a god damn for me (but then nothing does except potent stuff like Ambien). Try it, I don't think there's any risk of your body stopping production of its own Melatonin.

3. nikonikad

nikonikad Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from sweden
    o thank you for your advice, but one question: What is with the next day, with other sleeping pils I sleep but the next day I can not concentrate, with ambien it is not so

4. nikonikad

nikonikad Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from sweden
    I an my brother we have huge problems with sleeping and with common sleeping pill we felt next day like Zombies, so that we had often problems in the school/ at work because we was tired an could never use our hole potencial. But with 6 mg Melatonin i can control when to sleep if i want to sleep at 15.00h i ingestit a half hour before and next day i can sleep at 24.00, i can entirely control it.I feel that i have energy i never could use without Melatonin,

5. Gahaba22

Gahaba22 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    There have never been any conclusive studies that demonstrate melatonin to be an effective sleep inducer, especially at the low doses you are taking. It is most certainly an example of the placebo effect. However,if it is working for you, excellent, because there are relatively no known side effects.

geeb

6. Ximot

Ximot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I believe it not to be a placebo effect at all, actually. Melatonin is a powerful hormone, and if you have a body that is fairly attuned/sensitive to its surroundings and to what goes inside it, you may well have effects even from 3mgs or lower. Especially if you put it under the tongue. I have tried taking it daytime to see what it woul do, and it does make me sort of sleepy even then. And the next day I always feel slightly groggy at first upon waking, when I had melatonin the night before. Best to take around 10pm if you want to go to bed after 11, because it will take time to kick in, and the grogginess will also be less. Also, best to put it under the tongue for immediate and increased absorption.

Works extremely well in conjuntion with l-tryptophan.

Though I wouldn't want to take melatonin on a daily basis. What will my pituitary gland (I think that's the one that regulates serotonin/melatonin release and/or production) do if it can see that the hormone is coming into my body from the outside regularly? Most likely produce less of it by itself, if any at all. Result: dependency. Sleep problems if supplemtnation is discontinued. So, to be careful is my advice.

7. Ximot

Ximot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    sorry for cross posting but I feel this is sort of important. I think melatonin is not risk-free. I'm also not sure if I would use ambien regularly, or indeed any chemical at all, for therapeutic purposes.

Have you looked into valerian, hops, passiflora, and melissa? A cocktail of those herbs in either liquid or pill form may be effective too.

Perhaps you could also try to learn some deep-breathing or meditation techniques to help you induce sleep. Or look into binaural beats, whichalter how your brainwaves work, and thereby may make sleep come easier. www.bwgen.com (I think the programme is shareware).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  8. DogmaticTrip

DogmaticTrip Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Melatonin?

Marijuana drastically increases melatonin in the system, upping seratonin levels, as well. (I think)

So.. how much (if it even does anything) melatonin is needed to produce recreational effects?

9. DogmaticTrip

DogmaticTrip Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hmm, thought about it - nevermind. It doesn't do anything, methinks. Tried anyway, will let you know if anything.

10. joevette

joevette Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Increasing melatonin is just a side effect, not what gets you high. Taking alot of melatonin will just make you sleepy. It is a good anti-oxident too btw.

11. LATONA420

LATONA420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
  12. carloshidalgo61

carloshidalgo61 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Melatonin is a sleeprelated substancethat we make more of as a baby, and less as we age. I had some good supplement which also had valerian in it, called Super Knock out or something, by Schiff Labs, I think. It is light reactive, so if using for sleep, shut out all the light in your room, and it will work perfectly. Other than that, I don't know about any other effects. The way I felt on it, I think you would just wanna sleep all day.

13. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland, also responsible for production of endogenous DMT and other things.

Melatonin production decreases with age, stres and disrupted circadian rythms; supplementing with melatonin helps reset these when taken 1 hour before bed time, ~3mg should be fine.

Melatonin has zero recreational properties, unless you find sleep recreational - although it does produce some intense dreams.

14. macamaca

macamaca Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have taken Melatonin noumerous times and I have never felt any recreational effect

15. blindpanda_eric

blindpanda_eric Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey,

Looking around, I was surprised not to see this as the topic of another
    thread. I drink alot of soda, and in the course of a day ingest
    from 200mg to 1000mg of caffeine. I found that I could not sleep
    at night because of this, but I like my caffeine so I'm not going to
    stop. I ended up buying a ton of different sedatives/sleeping
    aids, all herbal or something you can get from puratin's pride.
    Not many worked well against the caffeine, malatonin and passion flower
    didn't work well separate. Finally I started mixing things,
    making sure that it was safe from online sources. Long story
    short, melatonin and passion flower extract(liquid) worked the
    best. Melatonin helped me stay asleep, and passion flower helped
    me get to sleep.

Yep,

-eric

Edit: I forgot to post the dose I take. 3-4 3mg Melatonin Pills, and 1-1.5g Passion Flower Extract.

Edited by: blindpanda_eric

16. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: The Combined Melatonin Thread

My psychiatrist recommends melatonin as he claims it to be a natural substance produced by the stomach lining or GI tract... i couldn't quite hear where he said it was sucreted at. From the above posts and further reading, it appears that melatonin is a powerful anti-oxidant. That would mean it would help to fight free-radicals, thus helping to prevent cancer right?

Also, I've read that it affects the immune system and is thought to possibly prevent or fight disease. It also increases REM sleep, more so with higher doses.

On top of all of that, it is effective in treated depression resulting from seasonal affective disorder.

Last but not least, my psychiatrist deals with a lot of ADHD/ADD patients and I found this:
    I do not seem to be able to find anything bad about this... The only negative thing I found was OTC sales of melatonin were banned in some parts of Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.

There is a supposedly non-addictive sleeping pill out there called rozerem(Ramelteon). It has been approved for long term use in the U.S. and also the manufacturers claim that rebound insomnia is not present with ramelteon as it is with other sleep aids. Interestingly, Ramelteon is a full agonist of the melatonin receptors MT1 and MT2 along with selectivity over the MT3 receptor. However the MT3 receptor is found almost exclusively in the gut and not thought to have any influence over sleep/wakefulness.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008