mesembrine

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by takeover, Dec 11, 2005.

1. takeover

takeover Newbie

Reputation Points:
    what are the effect. dosages if someone any

2. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    When used as a snuff, 20 mg is sufficient to produce a substantial effect. 50-150 mg mixed with chewing gum or placed under the tongue produces a more subtle effect. 200 mg can be added to a cup of tea. Kanna in combination with alcohol and / or cannabis will enhance each other's effects!

3. takeover

takeover Newbie

Reputation Points:
  4. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    hmm sorry dunno then.

5. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    how come i've never heard of mesembrine, is it a plant or a naturally-occurring chemical?

6. takeover

takeover Newbie

Reputation Points:
    it come from kanna. google it and check it out. kanna is a plant from south africa.

7. xiaobendan

xiaobendan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Hi, I am a 93kg, 189cm male who is physically fit and has experience with other herbal type extracts and supp type stuff like kava, 5-htp, theanine, DMAA, phenibut, GABA etc ect.

I am surprised that there is so little information on dosing with this powerful and expensive extract. Its sold in a lot of places I won't mention. You would think there would be more reports.

So for the next week I am going to do a number of experiements. I will only snort the substance tonight.

I believe oral dosing is usually the best way to use most extracts but tonight I am anxious to get an idea on dosing so I'll only snort it.

Some guy said dosing should start at 250ug, I don't think that would do anything. Herbal vendors just wouldn't sell something that dangerous to dose.

Anyway, I obtained a 10grams of pure mesembrine 99% extract.

The substance is a fluffy white powder with a light herbal smell. You can get a less pure brown colored 95%-98% extract but I wanted to get the purest stuff possible.

At 7pm I snorted about 1.25mg and then at 7.55 I used about 3.75mg. Once you don't snort it like a hoover it's pretty light on the nasal passages, unlike the horror stories you hear about kanna itself. I felt a very slight mood lift and a comfortable feeling in my head, kind of like weed but less sedating and stupifying. After 30mins I began to feel tired, it was not very stimulating at all nothing like reports I read about kanna.

At 8.45 I did 5mg and the effects were more pronounced but nothing to write home about. I then took another 5mg at 9.30. I have to say, although I wasn't knocked off my ass, I don't feel let down yet, it has potential I can feel it, I just need to find the sweat spot.

So after 15mg I was left with the impression that this extract has some definate mood lifting properties and could be used for relaxation and headaches.

At 10.45 I then did another 10mg and I now feel very chilled.

I will do a starting dose of 20mg tomorrow evening to see if it really kicks in then. There is something to this extract it feels good, but this evenings experience has been a bit too on the light side.

I don't smoke weed but I may decide to mix it with phenibut during the week if 20mg snorted doesn't do much tomorrow evening.

Watch this space...............

8. KannaKratom

KannaKratom Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    IMO mesembrine doesnt do much on its own. There are multiple chemicals; mesembrenone ,*mesembrenol*and*tortuosamine, in kanna that make it affective. Your better off using just a good fermented kanna powder. It gives you a more powerfull "high" than just mesembrine alone. One other thing I did notice about mesembrine is it works good for deppression and anxiety but you have to take it everyday for a few Weeks to get the full SSRI benifits out of it.

9. xiaobendan

xiaobendan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I have noticed a very pleasant afterglow today. I am in a very nice chilled happy humor.

I slept like a baby last night and I don't feel groggy and tired like the next day after a lot of kava.

I came to the same conclusion this morning about the difference between mesembrine and straight kanna. Whatever gives the stimulant high it is not mesembrine.

However there is a nice sedative recreational feeling off mesembrine. It could be nice at the end of using stimulants or just something to unwind on after a heavy week at work or in the gym. It would be better than benzos, alcohol and other downers (for obvious reasons) because you don't get fucked off your arse.

It feels slightly like weed but just not as strong a body high and mentally powerful.

I like it so far but I think an oral dose of 30mg would be a lot more interesting. I will try 20mg snorted after work this evening.

If that feels okay, then I will move onto oral dosing tomorrow.

I'm not a stim fan at all and I wouldn't have been able to snort tons of acrid kanna extract to get the stim high anyway. It appears to be the case that oral kanna is more of a sedative anyway. Whatever makes kanna stimulating must be destroyed in the intestines.

All in all mesembrine beats kava in my book, you need a lot less and it doesn't test like hell on earth.

I'll keep updating this thread, so if this topic interests you watch this space.........

10. garda_charas

garda_charas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    As you all know more about this subject are you talking about this plant Mesembryanthemum crystallinum /common ice plant? If you enter Ice Plants in search you will find the complete family, a common garden plant.

11. xiaobendan

xiaobendan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    The guy who set this tread up hasn't made a good job of outlining what this substance is all about.

He hasn't mentioned that it comes Sceletium tortuosum (Mesembryanthemaceae]) or Kanna as they call it in South Africa. It contains the alkaloids; mesembrine, mesembrenone, mesembrenol and tortousamine.

There was a patent made that stated that Kanna's main active alkaloid is mesembrine. They argued that kanna is active because it causes changes in the brain similar to SSRI's, however it is shorter acting and it's anti-depressant effects are noticed straight away.

I believe, from recent experience, that mesembrine is mainly responsible for Kanna's sedative properties. The pure fermented plant extracts of Kanna are more bitter and acrid on the nose than mesembrine. And there is a definate stimulant edge to the beginning of the high.

So far mesembrine has not shown any stimulant potential for me.

I am going to write up a proper drug info thread for mesembrine to avoid these kind of mix ups. I do not know what plant the above poster is talking about but I understand his confusion.

Their needs to be a decent mesembrine thread; I will write one up soon.

12. garda_charas

garda_charas Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Please do write about it because mesembrine has really confused me. I did have Sceletium tortuosum but I think it died in the current Monsoon spell. Sometimes it re-sprouts from the roots, so fingers crossed.

13. xiaobendan

xiaobendan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Hi,

Well at 9pm this evening I snorted 20mg of mesembrine and I felt the same comfortable feeling in my head and body after about 25mins.

All day today I could still slightly feel that sensation from yesterday's 25mg total dose(done over a few hours).

At 10.10pm I did another 20mg snorted. I then began to feel really really tired and just wanted to lie down. This would be really useful if you had been taking stimulants for the evening (or you had just finished a bloody awful day at work). Just endyour day on this and you would feel lovely. No anxiety or tension just a relaxed calm sensation in your head and body.

I'll be honest, it feels like a substance that needs something to stand along with...maybe that something is weed, alcohol, phenibut,stims etcs. It feels good but not very recreational. I mean it would be good to have around the house for a bad, stressed out tense day. But it doesn't feel very Friday night.

Tomorrow evening I will dose 50mg orally on an empty stomach to see how it goes. It could be the case that mesembrine on its own is actually more active orally than nasally.....thats what I'm hoping.

Anyway I am beat, gonna hit the hay...

1. 4/5,
      Thank you for the experience reports. Well done. Please keep them coming
      Oct 31, 2013
  14. KieranA001

KieranA001 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    23 y/o from U.K.
    I've heard that Kanna isn't a SSRI. Although, it's similar. I've heard that it changes the way your brain uses serotonin and dopamine so it uses them more effectively giving you the mood uplift / anti-anxiety effects.

I find that when I take the 40X extract in 40mg doses it starts off with a general feeling of being intoxicated followed by some light euphoria. I feel more confident and feel more connected with my surroundings.

I have found that Kanna makes me very thirsty after 10 minutes of using it, followed by feeling really hot. If I take this stuff for more than a couple of days it seems to make me forget things so I don't really use it that much because of that. However, this forgetfulness does go away after a week and I'm fine again. :)

It also seems to make you want to go to the toilet a lot more than usual. :/ Other than that if feel nice. Kinda like being drunk without the bad side-effects and with more social connection. Great for social phobia.

KieranA001 added 14 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. Has anyone here taken Kanna in every way at the same time but break the dose down ??

Seen as it effects you differently when taken through different routes. I might try 20mg orally and then 20mg snuff at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    1. 3/5,
      Please discuss mesembrine, kanna has different effects than pure mesembrine.
      Oct 31, 2013
  15. Cousin Merle

Cousin Merle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Kanna is a SSRI and PDE4 inhibitor. It also has some effects on opiod and gaba receptors, but only at high doses. The reason it has an immediate effect on mood (unlike chemical SSRIs) is thought to be due to the dual SSRI/PDE4 action- that has a synergistic and immediate effect.

I like kanna a lot, but it has been somewhat inconsistent for me- possibly due to lack of standardization of the plant product.

16. xiaobendan

xiaobendan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Hey guys there are threads for kanna and kanna extracts.

We'd like to keep this thread for mesembrine only.

Mesembrine has very different effects than kanna. It is only sedating, there is no stimulation.

It makes one quite sleepy and relaxed, it also make one have very vivid dreams.

I find that after a few days use it slows my head down and I feel that it is actually a very boring substance to use.

If you are stressed and don't want to drink to chill, try mesembrine.

Kanna has more recreational potential.

There something else in it other than mesembrine that makes it stimulating and euphoric.

Mesembrine is a natural downer true and true.....