Smoking - MET (freebase)

Discussion in 'Tryptamines' started by anj0vis, Jun 4, 2005.

1. anj0vis

anj0vis Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    Tihkal says:
    Lying midway between DMT and DIPT is the ethyl compound, N-ethyl-N-methyltryptamine, or MET. It can be made by adding ethyl acetate to a reaction mixture where the formamide of tryptamine (see under NMT) has been reduced to NMT but there is still a goodly excess of hydride still remaining. The free base, as an oil, shows oral activity in the eighty to one hundred milligram range, so going from a methyl to an ethyl does indeed protect the compound from total enzymatic annihilation when taken orally.

Now I got interested when someone mentioned MET in Drugnews section. Any trials of this in smoked freebase, if it is similar to DMT?

I just noticed that MIPT entry does not have any info on smoking either, I wonder if it works for MIPT..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
    1. 5/5,
      good post
      Aug 5, 2006
  2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Do you have a B.P. for this (boiling point)? This would say a lot about it's viability to be smoked. If it's low, like DMT or 5-Meo-DMT, then it should be possible to do an infusion into a plant material for trials. Should be interesting. Though that lop-sided ethyl might be either a problem, or a help! Get the rats! Oh George.......?

3. illuminati boy

illuminati boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    The entry for the 4-HO cousin in TiHKAL always sounded intriguing. Maybe it is just the less is more type of thing.

As for MET, one wonders if MAO plays some role in degradation similar to DPT, that is it partially metabolizes it but does not render it completely inactive orally, possibly rendering it much more active in the presence of a MAOI.

I B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  4. illuminati boy

illuminati boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    That is pretty much all there is under entry #47 in TiHKAL. There is some further discussion of MPT, but as far as MET goes that is pretty much it, unless there is discussion of it elsewhere in Shulgin’s writings that one is not immediately aware of.

I B

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  5. BIG-TRON

BIG-TRON Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I want to know if it is safe to assume that MET is almost an identical compound to DET...

6. GDxCAT

GDxCAT Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: 3-[2-(ethylmethylamino)ethyl]-indole MET (freebase)

DET and MET are two very different compounds.
    You can Find more info on it at another popular drug message board.

SWIG hasnt had a chance to tst the waters with this one yet but will be doing so within the next couple weeks.

7. rodent

rodent Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

MET is structurally very similar to DMT and DET but you can really only use that as a guide as for what to expect.

I don't think it is "safe to assume" anything about an unresearched chemical especially one that you describe as "highly-exotic".

Take for instance AMT and AET. Very similar structurally but the dosage levels are very different and one is devoid of any visuals at all. The other point here is that AMT's mao inhibitor effects have been described as negligible but certaily not for AET.

Use much caution and do report back any of SWIM's experiences.

8. GDxCAT

GDxCAT Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

i have read that AET is actually a weak competitive inhibitor similar to AMT.

dont know how true this is though.

9. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia

it is safe to assume nothing. alphabet soup it is not, even structurally related entities are molecular keys to very different doors - granted, there are many houses in thy fathers mansion.

10. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    MET comes on much less aggressively than smoked DPT, and has a slower rise in effects than DMT, and is less powerful / mg. It seems to be really good a producing CEVs - sometimes when I think there was not enough vaporized to acheive an effect, I will close my eyes and will be having strong CEVs. I have been a big fan of smoked DPT for a long time, and the big difference is that SWIM keeps expecting that strong electric body high which is just barely there with MET.
    Overall MET has lots of potential, but it will need more work to unlock. It can probably reach stronger psychedelic effects without feeling like I am about to have a heart attack from the overstimulation (ie - high dose DPT).

1. 4/5,
      great info, thanks!
      Oct 19, 2006
  11. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    99 y/o
    *Bump*

Noone else has tested the waters with this substance lately?

Swim recently acquired an amount of met in what he expected to be a freebase.
    It is a fine powder tho much like 5-meo-mipt. Can this substance be smoked via the method of placing on top of marijuana or would vaporizing it be the only efficient way? Also is this indeed a suitable form to recieve a product dubbed as freebase?

12. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Vaporize. Smoking on leaf burns some of the product and in inefficient. A crack pipe works best.
    Freebases are not always oils. SWIM's product is a crystalline powder with occasional larger crystals mixed in. Same with the DPT freebase I have seen, only it is even chunkier with big rocks interspersed in the powder. The freebases also tend to be a bit sticky since they have a lowish melting point and are hygroscopic. You probably has the real deal.

1. 3/5,
      Cheers, excellent info
      Feb 21, 2007
  13. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Met

Does anyone have more information about this compound?

14. trptamene

trptamene Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Met

do you know the IUPAC or any kind of abbreviated name? MET? N-ethyl-N-methyltryptamine?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  15. chrisn

chrisn Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Met

IUPAC: ethyl-(2-(1H-indol-3-yl)-ethyl)-methylamine

Tihkal has minimal information on it: "Lying midway between DMT and DIPT is the ethyl compound, N-ethyl-N-methyltryptamine, or MET. It can be made by adding ethyl acetate to a reaction mixture where the formamide of tryptamine (see under NMT) has been reduced to NMT but there is still a goodly excess of hydride still remaining. The free base, as an oil, shows oral activity in the eighty to one hundred milligram range, so going from a methyl to an ethyl does indeed protect the compound from total enzymatic annihilation when taken orally."

16. samadhi_smiles

samadhi_smiles Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o
    there was a boy who was going to try it with a MAOI, but he can't get moclomebide(sp) easily so he will probably end up vaporizing it -

he's been told vaporizing it produces VERY harsh material which stings and then numbs one's throat (similar timeline to DPT vaporized)-

he's really wanting to try it with a MAOI, since it does not appear to be very active, orally-

17. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM also noted that vaporization leaves a carbonized residue, meaning some burns rather than vaporizes, unlike DPT and (clean) DMT.
    Also, this product was never offered as a salt, in part SWIM suspects due to the same difficulties in making a DMT salt. Since I find that the drug still peaks about 15-20 minutes after vaporization, creating a salt would perhaps allow insufflation which could be an ideal route for this compound and not require a MAOI.

18. fryingsquirrel

fryingsquirrel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    49 y/o from U.S.A.
    I tried to make the hcl salt of MET, and ended up with black goo. MET does indeed taste horrible, and it also has a tendency to run like crazy in a pipe or on foil. These combine to make it difficult to smoke enough to break through as with DMT. A shame, because this is a truly remarkable chem, which in many ways compares favorably with DMT. A bold statement, I realize.

19. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have found a freebase pipe to prevent the running. Does you's MET also leaved a black charred residue ?

20. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Might Bongo suggest dissolving in acetone and infusing the molecule into, say, mint leaves. This would provide a slow, steady heating/volatization?

(Evaporate the acetone first, ya putz)

Tags: