1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Meth Mouth

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine' started by Police Officer, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Police Officer

Police Officer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    How long does it take for a regular meth user to get meth mouth?

2. Bajeda

Bajeda Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    What do you define as a regular meth user? Several times a week? Once a day? Several times a day?

3. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll™ Tootsie Pop™?

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    "Hey Mr. Toad? How many licks of you does it take to get to the center of a Rhode Island state prison?" "Just One."

5. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o Male from The Netherlands
    I have never even seen meth nor meth users AFAIK, but logic dictates that it's dependend upon the intensisty of use, the health/strength of the mouth, the definition of meth mouth and that it's a gradual thing.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Old neighbor of mine managed to grind all his teeth down to rotten gunk in, he estimated, about a year of constant speed use back in the late '60's living in what was left of the Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco. Meth and other forms of speed ruined the Haight real quick. Went from an avant-garde Bohemian artist collective into a high-crime ruin in about as long as it took my neighbor's teeth to rot out.

"Even Paranoids Have Real Enemies." "Speed Kills."

7. Police Officer

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I would define regular as once to several times a day. I spoke with one girl who told me that she didnt get meth mouth untill after almost 10 years of regular use. I spoke with a guy who said there was obvious signs after 8 months.

But ultimately, I guess it does depend on several things such as pre-exsisting conditions, if they brush or not, chemicals used.

Alfa, count your lucky stars. The stuff is evil.

8. Police Officer

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Thats not hard to believe

9. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    swim has only witnessed it with daily users, but he could never tell how long it had taken them to develop it. but they had all used for about a year or two. so its probably not as long as 10 years for most people.

10. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I'm under the impression that malnutrition is one of the main causes of oral problems for heavy meth users.

11. Nagognog2

Nagognog2

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Ya know - according to my old neighbor, his dentist diagnosed the cause as his grinding his teeth 24/7. He ended up having all but two of his teeth extracted. But this is many years back so diagnosis of such may have been refined.

Why not call a few dentists in places where methamphetamine use has taken hold for a few years? Ask a few what they think about the time for this to occur, and the current thunk on why this happens. From a cross-section of dentists, you could get a relatively accurate idea.

12. INodHardOhYeah

INodHardOhYeah Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I live in an area with a very large community of meth users, a friend of SWIMs had a habit that developed over 6 or so months. I remember being able to hear him over the tv grinding his teeth, he used to spend hours digging at his teeth his with a u-100 (100 cc needle), it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

13. DerZyniker

DerZyniker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    44 y/o Male
    SWIM has been doing it for 15 years.. daily for the last 6 years.. and no meth mouth because it is a ridiculous myth. Most of the negative effects from drugs come from criminal and punitive consequences, poorly made street drugs, etc.. in other words most of the negative effects come from it being illegal, not the drug itself. All these "faces of meth" people the media is selling are people who do not take care of themselves, and who cannot afford normal basic medical care.

I am an executive at a large manufacturing company, and though I will concede that daily use of something like meth is unwise and can contribute to health and other personal problems, everything is relative. Daily consumption of fast food will probably do just as much if not more damage. We all have our shortcomings and weaknesses... it would be nice if they were perceived objectively and if they were we would probably have a completely different set of priorities with regard to handling social ills.

14. Freaky

Freaky Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.K.
    Have to agree with DerZniker on this one, it does very much depend on how look after yourself in generally, and not just the substance taken ;-).

I'm sure they're are plenty of people out there, who drink, take H, Coke and look worse than the "Meth Mouth" type pictures. I think it comes down to the individual efforts maintained to try and ensure that look after themselves well, and try to counter balance the effects of their lifestyle to positive ones.

Can't help thinking that Whilst Meth Mouth does, and can happen, the proportions of serious Meth Mouth amoungst users would be pretty low, and not this Dead-Cert guarantee that many government bodies have produced rldwide.

Most of it it just common sense, like if you can't eat...drink supplement drinks to try and help your body get some of the nutrients it needs; chew-gum (i've heard that it's the lack of saliva that actually compounds the issue; cBrush, floss and use mouthwash twice a day like you would normally (even though you might have not slept, you're mouth still wants that morning bursh :).

Oh...and Never, Never rub it into your gums, try bombing it instead

15. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    I meet with several (meth)amphetamine(s) users quite often, and I just thought of something. I have absolutely no idea if there is any truth to this, but in my observations I have noticed that the ones who inject it seem to have far less problems with their mouths, compared to the ones who eat and snort it. Anyone?

16. mcaidz

mcaidz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from aruba
    Could be possible. It should be absorbed by your noses mucous membrane if u snort it, but who the hell know what else is in the stuff. So it can run down into ur mouth and to your teeth. Injekting means first of all cleaning it a little bit and it wont get in contact with any mucous membrane at all.

17. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Yes. I also noticed alot more teeth grinding with people who eat/snort it. Especially when they start doing the drug, after some time the grinding has subsided in most cases. At least with straight amphetamine.

18. Police Officer

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I think Nog's made a good suggestion. I'll probably call a few dentists and post the results on here.

From what I've always heard...meth mouth is the result of a combination of poor dental hygene and the corrosive chemicals that are contained in methamphetamines. From what I understand the poor dental hygene leaves the teeth especially vulnerable to the chemicals.

19. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from gaza_strip
    whenever i come to the dentist i get praise of my beautiful teeth...so so much for that myth.
    but seriously, if wun is sleeping onna street and tweaking you should expect a toothless mouth. there are many many regular amph users, you see them every day

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  20. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    It's a good thing the US of A has their drug war ... that has closed out all the safe drugs allowing only for mexi-meth to flow right on in to burn America down.

-.-;