1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine' started by bonghed, Nov 16, 2005.

1. bonghed

bonghed Banned

Reputation Points:
    Sep 25, 2005
    31 y/o
    I'm sorry i'll edit in loads of info from other sources in a bit. On uk national news it's main story was meth is gonna explode in the uk very very soon. Please and your feelings and/or info on this
  2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Feb 18, 2004
    from U.K.
    A large pinch of salt should be taken with this little nugget. It's a story that surfaces every couple of years, with little or no backup or evidence. One thought might be the old 'mistaken identity' scenario - mdma being mistaken for methamphetamine; if this can confuse a bunch of scientists into publishing 'evidence' that mdma leads to Parkinson's disease, then what hope is there for the poor hacks at the Scum? Just a thought.
  3. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Dec 27, 2004
    from gaza_strip
    from the info swims been getting this may be true. fortunately-unfortunately, yer call
  4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Oct 16, 2005
    from U.K.
    The Media in the UK always does this excitable thing about "the next big thing in drugs": At the beginning of the year (?) it was research chemicals (link to articles below):

The Guardian does loads of this stuff (mainly because most of its readers have middle class angst about all the stuff they're doing [​IMG])

Here are some links:

Not edited at at all, coz I haven't got time.

SWIM's spin on this is that pills in the UK have become exceedingly unreliable/unpleasant over the last 6 months (and most of the time SWIM's been getting something other than MDMA): If people can't get pills then they'll go for something else. Speed has always been around, and it's cheaper than Coke: So what else are people going to be taking?

Meth Explosion? Not for SWIM!

Peace, Love, and whatever you want!
  5. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Feb 18, 2004
    from U.K.
    Two articles, same well respected paper, 6 years apart...

Creeping menace of crystal meth, the drug more dangerous than crack

· Police warn of explosion in use on gay club scene
    · Easy-to-make concoction may be reclassified

Rosie Cowan, crime correspondent
    Tuesday November 15, 2005
    The Guardian

The government is considering the reclassification of a drug believed to be taking hold in the gay club scene after police warnings that it is dangerous and is now being made within the UK for the first time.

Police chiefs and the government have commissioned separate studies into methamphetamine, or crystal meth, known on the street as "ice", "meth" "Tina" and "Nazi crank". Now considered the number one problem drug in the United States, there are fears it could become much more prevalent in Britain, where little is known about its usage.

The UK authorities currently categorise methamphetamine as a class B drug. But the Home Office has asked the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs to examine its "toxicity, risk, manufacture and prevalence and consider its appropriate classification". The report is due soon.

The extent of methamphetamine use in this country is obscured by the fact that the number of seizures of the drug and related arrests are lumped in with amphetamines; there are no separate statistics.

Meth, a synthetic drug that can be snorted, smoked, injected or eaten, is relatively simple to make from household products; medical experts warn that it can be highly addictive, with devastating physical and psychological consequences.

"While there have not been any significant seizures of methamphetamine in the UK to date, we believe the drug is being manufactured here," said Andy Hayman, the Association of Chief Police Officers' spokesman on drugs and a Metropolitan police assistant commissioner. "We are aware of the growth in the use of meth across the USA and parts of south-east Asia and eastern Europe, and the drug-related crime it leads to, along with its physical and social consequences. Acpo recently appointed one of its members to conduct extensive research. This will continue the work already undertaken to identify intelligence relating to meth. We are aware that this white odourless drug can be made with relatively inexpensive over-the-counter ingredients."

Scotland Yard refused to comment on methamphetamine supply and use in London. But sources told the Guardian the Met was consulting US drug enforcement agents for advice. There are unconfirmed reports that police have raided several meth labs in the south-east of England.

Meth recipes, which include everyday domestic products, are easily accessible and can be mixed using a basic school chemistry set. The highly volatile mix of chemicals has caused several explosions in the US. Canada recently introduced life sentences for its manufacture.

John Marsden, of the Institute of Psychiatry, told The London Programme, which carried out an investigation into meth, to be screened on ITV1 tonight, that he considered meth more addictive than crack cocaine. "It's critical that the public are made more aware of the dangers of this drug," Dr Marsden said. "It has a signature and a footprint of effects which create a higher level of dependency if someone is using regularly."

Will Nutland, of the HIV/Aids charity the Terrence Higgins Trust, said: "We're hearing more anecdotally about crystal meth and how it affects people. It's a disinhibitor and makes people do things they wouldn't normally do. They can feel incredibly horny and keep going for hours, but there is the risk of physical damage and HIV."

Case study

Peter (not his real name), a 28-year-old professional who lives in south London and works in the City, has used meth twice

"I'm gay and I go out clubbing and to a lot of parties. The first time I used meth was at a party about 10 months ago and it was just curiosity. I'd not really heard of it until recently and then I was hearing more and more from people who'd tried it and the experiences they had, like getting really horny and having great sex. It wasn't all good experiences but where drugs are concerned, people are curious, they want to try it anyway.

"The first time I didn't really feel much at all, maybe because of the cocktail of other drugs I'd taken, but later on I decided to try it again. I bought some crystals about six months ago from an acquaintance and a pipe to smoke it in.

"I took it before a night out but instead of being my normal bubbly self, I was really quiet and withdrawn. But afterwards I couldn't sleep for three days, and by the third day I was really tearing my hair out with exhaustion.

"You do hear much more about meth in London these days and a lot of people are trying it. Although none of my friends have become addicted, I've heard on the grapevine about addicts. I think people are making it at home, but it's quite a volatile process that's scary enough to put you off. It is pretty easy to get and it is becoming more popular in clubs, but I won't be trying it again."

FAQ: Methamphetamine

What is the drug called and what are its street names?

Official name is methamphetamine. Nicknames are crystal meth, ice, Nazi crank and Tina

When was it first developed?

In Japan in 1919. Used by troops in war to stay awake for periods. Hitler is rumoured to have injected it daily

How widespread is its use?

Increasingly common in US and south-east Asia, and is emerging on the UK gay club scene

What are the effects?

Prolonged high, energy and sexual disinhibition. Long-term effects include weight loss and rotting teeth</font>

And from a few years ago...

Hitler's Drug Set to Invade British Clubs
    The Observer (UK)
    by Tony Thompson
    Oct 17, 1999

Note, "yaba", "crazy medicine", and "hitler's drug" are all names used to refer to methamphetamine. This article seems to intentionally avoid identifying this "new" horror drug as a method of sensationalizing the story. [Erowid>

It is known as 'crazy medicine'. Now 'yaba' a new drug more popular than heroin in parts of the Far East, is heading for Britain, amid warnings that it could supersede Ecstasy as the drug of choice for the country's clubbers.

The drug, which creates an intense hallucinogenic effect and can enable users to stay awake for days on end, was originally created by German chemists instructed by Adolf Hitler to find a stimulant that would help his soldiers to fight around the clock.

Drug experts are warning that Britain is being targeted by yaba producers operating out of the so-called Golden Triangle - the drug producing areas which straddle the borders of Thailand, Burma and Laos.

Last month two packages of a drug thought to be yaba were intercepted at Heathrow Airport. There have been other recent seizures in France and Ireland, and there is evidence that illegal laboratories in the United Kingdom are attempting to make it. 'We are watching this with extreme concern,' one detective told The Observer.

Regular use of the drug has been linked to lung and kidney disorders, hallucinations and paranoia.

A frequent hallucination is 'speed bugs' or 'crank bugs'. The user believes bugs live under his or her skin and becomes desperate to get them out.

Those coming off the drug are also susceptible to severe depression and suicidal urges. Demand for the drug in Britain is being fuelled by holidaymakers returning from the Far East, who talked about the intense high it induces.

A derivative of synthetic amphetamines such as speed, yaba can be manufactured far more quickly and easily than traditional forms of amphetamine. The recipe has spread from the Far East by word of mouth and on the Internet.

The main ingredients, which include salt, household cleaning products, distilled cold medicines, and lithium from camera batteries, can be bought legally.

The rewards for criminals can be huge. Around pounds 300 of raw materials can make yaba worth more than pounds 2,000 at British street prices. Since the equipment needed is portable, labs can be moved on a regular basis, making it more difficult for police to track them down.

'You used to envisage an amphetamine lab with beakers and Bunsen burners, but that's not the case any more,' said one drugs squad detective. 'You can make it right on the hob with just a couple of casserole dishes. As well as being quicker and cheaper, the drug produced is also purer and stronger than other forms of amphetamine.'

The so-called Nazi method of making yaba was first noticed in Thailand more than 30 years ago. At the time it was legal and would be sold at petrol stations alongside soft drinks and cigarettes. Long-distance lorry drivers would pop the pills to help them work through the night. Possession and supply of yaba was criminalised in 1970, but the market simply went underground.

By the mid-Nineties - with students and other young people turning to the drug - seizures of yaba overtook those of heroin.

According to the Public Health Ministry, the number of students entering rehab to deal with yaba addiction has risen by 970 per cent in the past two years. Around five times more yaba than heroin is produced in the Golden Triangle, mainly in Burma.

More than 400 million pills are expected to be smuggled across the border into Thailand in the next year alone. As much as two-thirds of all crime committed in Bangkok is now thought to be yaba related.</font>

You see my point? A bit more digging would I think turn up similar reports from before and after 1999.

Now, I'm not saying it couldn't happen here - it could, and does seem to be on the rise again amongst the gay community in London at least (one in five gay men on the club scene having used was one anecdotal figure I came across - note 'used', not 'addicted' or 'have a problem with'), but I really don't think it will become as problematic as the reporters make out. Or maybe I'm just hoping...
  6. Aberdonian

Aberdonian Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dec 19, 2008
    from scotland
    these poss are 5 + yrs old and i still cant get meth here in scotland lol so much for the explosion i was actually thinkin of the shKE N Bke method!