Methadone. A Mistake? Help?

Discussion in 'Methadone' started by SpaceCadetGlow, May 15, 2007.

1. SpaceCadetGlow

SpaceCadetGlow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm not new to the site/forum, however I just recently decided to join. I love this forum; it provides the most accurate information on the subject and it is very well designed. So...

Swim came across a quantity of methadone tablets each containing 10 mg methadone (no opiate antagonists). I took the methadone orally every day for about a week. The dosage was usually in the range of 15-30 mg. I decided to stop the methadone a few days ago, and so far I has not noticed any feelings of withdrawal. On day three of his abstinence from methadone, swim encountered something he did not expect.

I was given some morphine in the form of MS Contin 30 mg. He received a total of six. Three days after stopping the methadone, I chewedand swallowed two pills (60 mg). Nothing was felt. The following day, I took the remaining four pills, which added up to 120 mg of morphine. He swallowed two, tried one sublingually, and even took one in the butty. With the exception of some very short-lived analgesia and sedation, swim hardly felt a thing.

This was very disappointing. Swim prefers opiates over any other, and has tried tramadol, codeine, propoxyphene, pentazocine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, methadone, morphine and fentanyl.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on, and when, if ever, I will be able to experience the opiates he loves? Any advice/similar experiences would be very much appreciated. Also - I searched the forum several times using the search engine but I never found anything really significant.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    1. The methadone did cause a tolerance to the morphine.

2. Morphine is poorly utilized when taken orally. Calculated @60mg orally being equal to 8mg if taken by injection.

3. Tolerance to morphine develops quite rapidly, so a secondary tolerance developed from the morphine taken previously - on top of the methadone.

Conclusion: I should have waited at least a week before imbibing the morphine. And likely have searched for a method of administration with better bio-availability.

3. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    For the most part what Nagognog said is very true however I have injested morphine only two days after injesting methadone and still felt the effects.Guess it all depends on the person.SWIM can not state a scientific reason why he could be effected by morphine so shortly after consuming methadone on a regular basis but he did.

4. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I think the difference here, Orchid, is that SWIS took the methadone every day for a week. It has such a long half-life in the body that the concentration in the bloodstream was never allowed to dip below a certain point, in fact daily dosage would have made his body steadily increase in the concentration since it takes over 2 days for the methadone to disperse out of the body.

5. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.
    When I was taking methadone it took him 3-4 days before he could feel anything from opiates....at the time he was using IV herion.

6. SpaceCadetGlow

SpaceCadetGlow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thank you all for your advice. It's been four days since any methadone was taken and I am definitely experiencing some fibromyalgia-type effects. From now on I think he'll stick to the short-acting opioids.

7. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    long acting can make a person's life much easier, most likely improving it. This however comes at the expense of the fun from the short acting ones. I have found that after being on a long acting opiate for a long time, it is now A LOT of work to get a good high off of oxy, heroin, morphine, etc. Gotta go through a bunch of crap for days in prepartion for the administration of a short acting opiate so that the full or mostly full effects can be felt.

Long acting opiates have improved my life greatly, so he can't knock them... but it seems like so long since he has felt the bliss he once loved so much.

8. 85gtdrop1

85gtdrop1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    47 y/o