Methadone Withdrawal

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by geb guy, Jan 24, 2007.

1. geb guy

geb guy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    has anyone out there got any goog tips on how to make a meth cluck as pain free as poss. been on the green for six months and i am going to oz in two weeks. done loads of heroin clucks but never off green. i am shitting myself only on 30mls but not looking forward to it.any tips would be greatfully recieved. thanks

2. t1rex

t1rex Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from North Germany
    AW: metadone withdrawal

one could use Clonidin (0,15 mg as first dose) or Lofexidin wich eliminates many withdrawal symptomes very good. Nothing (except other opiates) works better. Kratom is also a good help, but I has no personal experiences...and as another advice - dont go to fast down. Against the sleeping problems works Levopromazine. Ad's and Clonidin doesn't fit together!
    I would never withdraw Methadone without clonidin!
    Good Luck!

3. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Re: metadone withdrawal

If possible You could try a slow taper. I have a friend who succesfully withdrew from methadone by reducing his daily dose by 5mg every 2 weeks until he got down to 10mg and then 2mg per week.This was done under the supervision of his GP. The process was long but he reported minimal discomfort.

4. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: metadone withdrawal

If this is already a supervised methadone regime there should be no problem getting enough to last the journey, with a covering letter & a referral letter for a script at the other endthe other end, unless there is something in Australian immigration rules about not letting addicts in, even if part of a program. Speak to SWiYour g.p & maybe contact the Home Office or an Australian consulate for clarification.

Also, this is the wrong part of the forum for questions like this - better responses, & possibly even answers could well be found in the Recovery and addiction & Opium, Opiates & Opioids. sections. It will probably be moved to one or the other soon enough.

Also, self-incrimination ('I did...', 'I am...') is not allowed on this forum when speaking of substance use, even when describing situations involving substances that are legal where the poster lives, or are prescribed to the poster.

Please re-read The rules of drugs-forum

5. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Iboga/Ibogaine cured SWIM of addiction, although it took a week or so to really start feeling comfortable, and after a month I felt almost normal.. Nothing like a normal detox.. Research it and feel free to ask any question's if You wants.. BTW, it's only illegal in the USA, Switzerland, Sweden, and Belgium, as far as SIWM knows, so if one is not in these countries, they may be able to use it legally..

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    There used to be a place in the Netherlands that offered the ibogaine treatment to foriegn guests - for a healthy price. A search would likely turn such up.

7. mick

mick Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am on day 6 of cold-turkey withdrawl from(daily):
    10mg methadone
    20mg hydrocodone
    1mg xanax
    I am in hell.
    It may cost swim his job tomorrow if I don't recover to a manageble state soon.
    ANY advice would be appreciated. Except in the past tense(shouldnt have quit the xanax simultaneously-lol).
    Obviously, I am on day 6 and it shouldn't be appropriate to begin benzo therapy at this point.
    Please Help.

8. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
  9. Voyager

Voyager Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from serbia_and_montenegro
    Taper down Methadone slowly. When you stop completly use some Tramadol and Klonopine (Clonazepam) for a while, then taper off from that it should be easy.
    Methadone withdrawals last for a month and maybe even longer and they are not to play with, because they can be very dangeriuos if done cold turkey.
    And please, I'm new on this forum, can anybody explain me who is SWIM and who is You ?
    I see them everywhere here.

10. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    Ibogaine?Only if You is rich and likes taking risks.Ofcourse if You was rich they probably wouldn't be in this predicament.I have heard both good and bad about ibogaine and even if it were cheap and easily available I would be very cautious.

11. OhCasey

OhCasey Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim means someone who isnt me and is used to avoid self incrimination. Now as far as ibogaine I know a buddy who used it and he said it worked wonders for him but he suggests a baby sitter with 3 free days. From what ive read ibogaine can vary vastly from person to person so excerise caution. Also i remember reading about ibogaines availability on the internet but who knows what those sources are really selling.

12. Ididnotinhale

Ididnotinhale Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I would suggest switching to suboxone if possible and slowly coming off that. It is supposedly totally painless from people swim knows, a million times better than coming off methadone. http://www.suboxone.com/

If You does not or cannot do this swim suggests using Kratom, little bits throughout the day. Start slow and figure out how much it takes to help You feel a little better. Kratom does effect the mu opiod receptors, so it is only to be taken for two weeks or so in decreasing dosages.

Like said before, benzodiazepines are a miracle. I went through Withdrawals the other day and his Klonopin saved his life. Try to talk to a doctor about dosing.

For diarrhea, get Immodium, it's an synthetic opiate, but does not break the brain barrier. It will should only control diarrhea. But I has experienced it to help his body feel a little better.(even though it should not)

Also get some Tums and Pepto. I found double doses of both pepto and immodium was necessary to stop the diarrhea, the tums and pepto seemed to just help swim's stomach to feel a little more settled and comfortable.

Some people need tylenol or Aleve, or some other NSAID. I would suggest tylenol as NSAIDS (aleve, ibuprofen..etc) can cause stomach problems.

If You is a weed smoker feel free to smoke some ganja. It helped You with the stomach problems and relaxed him a little bit. I would not suggest this if weed causes You to either get nauseous or anxious.

For as many days as you can try to work out. I found out that even though workouts were harder than usual, they made him feel tons better. I believe that this is due to the endorphin release, it likely also helps swiys body to get used to creating endorphins on his own instead of through drugs.

Saunas can be great. Just be careful to to get dehydrated as that will just make you feel shittier.

Get as many movies/video games as you can afford. Keeping your mind busy doing fun things is a great way to pass time that would otherwise be spent just feeling shitty.

If You has a friend or two that wants to stop try to get them to stop together. It can be a huge help if you are going through the same thing together with a friend. The empathy and support cannot be compared.

It is almost essential to have some one you are close to or multiple people stop by and say hi at least everyday. Withdrawals can leave you feeling very lonely and helpless, but with swiys friends support Withdrawals is a lot easier.

Swim hopes this helps. Good luck. My heart will be with swiy.

1. 3/5,
      great advice
      Jun 3, 2008
  13. OhCasey

OhCasey Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thats funny that you mention kratom cause I have been using it for about 21 or so days and today is day 1 of no kratom after he tapered down. He feels a lil under the weather but nothing like Opiate withdrawal. I looked for info on using kratom to end opiate dependence and didnt find alot of solid info. After i feel 100% im going to write a experience report on it. Have You used kratom before to end opiate withdrawals? If so how did You feel when ending the kratom usage?

14. Ididnotinhale

Ididnotinhale Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Casey, very impresive that you were able to quit. Good luck staying clean. Swim wishes that he would have just continued with my wd and quit altogether.

I have also been very curious as to if a horrible ibogaine trip can be as bad as WD. Does anyone know if ibogaine "trips" go south very frequently?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008