1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Question - Methamphetamine and Adderall

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by Bblm, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Bblm

Bblm Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from California, United States
    I used meth from November 2016 - March 2017. Before that, I only did it once several years ago.
    I'm am also prescribed Adderall, which lost almost all effect after the meth usage began.
    I take the Adderall anyway, in hope it will treat the depression I currently and always have had (I am prescribed it off-label for depression), but it seems it's just prolonging my recovery from what the meth did to me.
    I feel my only option is to stop all drugs to see if I get better.
    I feel blank, unmotivated, fatigued, useless, etc. The most I've gone without a stimulant lately is16 days, and I still felt no emotion or anything positive.
    My question is, how many months total did it take any of you to feel completely "normal" after quitting, and also do you think Adderall will ever work for me again for treating my depression, because Adderall helps where no other pharmaceutical could for me. Also, I have no interest in using meth ever again. It's too powerful and harmful to me. I've never been so suicidal from any substance.
    Thank you.

2. Mississippi Misfit

Mississippi Misfit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    21 y/o from Mississippi, United States
    Amphetamines is something a person will develop an increasing tolerance but with a stop in use tolerance will go down quickly also how long exactly depends on a lot of factors but a I noticed a moderate change in my tolerance being on an off meth over a long period of time you can get to a point of not getting high at all, take a break from it for a month or so and to do it again be careful your usual dose before the break will be a lot more powerful after a stretch without it assuming the quality is the same..
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 14, 2017 ---
    Glad to hear you say such about meth tho, yes it's a powerful high and can make some task easier in the beginning but Meth is called a hardcore drug for a reason it has hardcore effects on every aspect. Health, apearance, personality, and everything it can be linked to can be negatively affected greatly and quickly be effected by that drug.

3. NotAJediOrSith

NotAJediOrSith Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from somewhere far from home.
    As I am sure you are aware of methamphetamine and Adderall share a cross-tolerance. This means using one of the substances will raise your tolerance of the other, as they both affect the CNS and are both potent full agonist of trace amine-associated receptor 1 (TAAR1, further reading: http://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/taar1-agonists). The TAAR1 plays a very large part in neurotransmission of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin. Dopamine and norepiphenrine transmissions are where the effects of amphetamines come from.

I digress.... both drugs work the same way using the same materials. Thus, it isn't unfair to say that your continued Adderall use is very well putting a damper on your recovery. Sorta akin to quit drinking liquor and only drinking beer.

How long until you're recovered fully? There's a plethora of biological factors that influence the length of recovery. However, I assure you it will take longer than 16 days. Meth withdrawal begins roughly 24 hours after your last dose. This initial phase can last for up to 3 days, this is where you are exhausted, extremely paranoid, etc. and psychosis can even manifest. After the intense 24-72 hour phase you will notice the psychological torment lessen. Almost as if you're slowly returning to life, but the god forsaken cravings begin to pop up at this point. Note I said the torment lessens. As in, instead of hallucinations and extreme anger you're hopelessly depressed bad have troubles concentrating.

On Week 2 you're getting better! But, mood swings and depression are pretty much the norm.

So, will I be good as new after two weeks? Not quite. It takes AT LEAST one month for normalcy to return. After one month you can start to feel normal, sleep regularly etc.

The kicker is that (https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/meth-addiction/withdrawal-detox/#gref) these timelines are very rough estimates. No two cases are the same and the duration and frequency of your meth use largely determine what you're withdrawal will look like. And here is what makes methamphetamine detox a giant ugly conniving bitch. A little something called post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS). In these unfortunate cases the cravings and certain psychological effects last for months. In extreme cases years. Myself, for example, am four months clean of methamphetamine IV abuse. Sometimes I will get the taste in the back of my throat, the one you get after shooting up. There's not much to do or medicine to take that can fix that shit.

What does all this mean?
    -Adderall and Meth are cross-tolerant
    -Taking Adderall when you're withdrawing from meth isn't ideal
    -Withdrawals last at least one month
    -PAWS is a demonic bitch
    -You can beat it

Please, please, please keep your newfound attitude to methamphetamines. It is a common trick of this devil drug to making us forget how we felt when we were low, thus making relapse seem not so bad.

Amphetamine tolerance doesn't "go down quickly". It will be deducted, but any subsequent use will skyrocket the tolerance back up to where it was. I've heard some say it's more like 6-months to 2-years to fully reset. However, this is why drug holidays are important. I would imagine that those figures are in more severe cases of abuse, but I can attest that it doesn't just go down quickly.