Opinions - Methylone - how much of a "psychedelic" component?

Discussion in 'Beta-Ketones' started by Nicaine, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I have always preferred 'body highs' greatly over drugs that mess with his thought process (which is weird enough ordinarily :D ).

Around 1980, I tried MDA. It was almost too much in the 'psychedelic' department, but he managed OK. SWIM dislikes marijuana for its head trip factor, and hasn't smoked it for years -- it gives him quite a lot of anxiety and he always finds it unpleasant.

So where does Methylone fit into all this, in people's opinions? More or less than marijuana and MDA? I would wish strongly for something closer to an amphetamine with empathogenic qualities, but having almost no qualities of a hallucinogen/delusion-producing substance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010
  2. joechip666

joechip666 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim reports, "With Methylone, everything is the same yet different. In other words, everything looks the same (and even actually feels the same) but one's perspective on the meaning of these sensations is different. Sensations are given a positive interpretation. Methylone is most similiar to MDMA. Nothing like MJ. Also, it has a notable stimulant component. Some egomania is present."

1. 5/5,
      Good comparisson
      Sep 11, 2006
  3. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Good... egoless stimulants aren't really SWIM's cup of tea, unless one is with the right crowd (SWIM hangs out with almost nobody these days except his cat :D ).

4. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I recently tried a vial of Explosion which she found laying about (lucky find! :). She doesn't know if it actually contained Methylone because the experience seemed more psychedelic. SWIM entered into some dark, introspective spaces and experienced some open eye visuals (mostly distortions) and colourful closed eye visuals with swirling colours including lots of bright flourescent greens and turquoise which was very pretty! :)

Music was awesome, awesome, awesome. I was experiencing an immediacy to the music in which she experienced the happiness of some songs and the darkness in other songs.

It lasted about six hours and had bad insomnia afterwards; SWIM also experienced annoying itching all over her skin on the comedown. She is still itching today, though not as badley.

Was a strong substance but possibly another chemical because it doesn't seem to describe methylone at all. SWIM wonders if it might have contained some flipperazines as she has tried MASH, which gave her an experience with some similarities.

5. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Mona Lisa;

This thread may interest you.

6. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Mehtylone has had no psychedelic component for SWIM. Just speedy with MDMA like empathogenic effects (short lived). However, this is easily rectified with a combination if SWYM wants to add to it. Many like combining with other molecules.

7. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes, no psychedelic effects. Entactogenic. No visuals or thought-process distortion. Very much like MDMA, though shorter duration and less in-depth introspection. Does not cause "eye-romp" like MDMA - but does cause jaw-clenching.

One major difference: The next day one does not feel burned-out like MDMA. Sleep is far easier as well. Bongo noted that if he decides not to sleep, he can continue to function the next day with a mild khat-like feeling. But sleep is easy if one wishes to sleep.

Caution: This could easily become habit-forming due to it's pleasurable effects, especially for those who easily become hooked on CNS stimulants. The cost, however, should keep that in check unless one owns a bank.

8. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    From what you said, Nagognog, what I had was probably something other than methylone. I was knackered upon waking up and felt very tired all day, though she still was experiencing mildly enhanced mood, empathy and music appreciation. Possibly 2-CT-2 or some other obscure psychodelic Phenethylamine(s)? Possibly even 2CE?

Very annoying that SWim wasn't able to find out what the vial contained (though found on floor, can't remember where it came from LOL):p She actually enjoyed the effects more than what she had been anticipating from something that was supposedly methylone...

9. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    would that be the bank that lends low interest substantia nigra dopaminergic stem cells?

few rats tell tales of M1 becoming rather tiltedly psychedelic in high dose range.

10. Cuberun

Cuberun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Europe
    My post may be fairly redundant but SWIM guesses it doesn't hurt to add to the majority of there NOT being any psychedelic elements. However, I did completely ignore looking for CEV's which perhaps would classify as psychedelic to some no matter how minimal.

11. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    It sounds close to straight-up speed (affecting dopamine/norepinephrine similarly) with mild empathogenic properties based on serotonin (has the serotonin component been proven BTW, like it has with XTC?).

I am only 90% convinced on the "not psychedelic" factor. Why? Because one toke of strong bud has him seeing closed-eye visuals in the dark for several hours. He's super sensitive to even the mildest sort of effects like that. However, I didn't think MDA was any stronger than marijuana in that department, he's heard it's supposed to be the most mind-altering in that category and he handled it OK.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  12. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    ^please believe me when i say the comparison to amphetamines is a stretch at best. M1 is biphasic with a primarily empathogenic / entactogenic component followed by a rather less than pleasant protracted stimulant comedown.

there are effects felt the next day, not of any discernable benefit, AFAIK - unless your rats are the once per year types, where the term 'afterglow' may surface. for the less patient ones, there is GI distress and hepatic load coupled with significant serotonin depletion especially evident with higher doses and concurrent polypharmacological abuse this compound tends to induce due to its rather morish nature.

note i did not say side effects or aftereffects in re above, as i consider these to be misnomers for, you guessed it, effects.

any future research is on hold as the neagtives were reported to outweigh the positives in the long run. caveat, the material is wonderful for intense one-time breakthrough work in patients resistent to traditional psychological methods - or so i am told.

13. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM's noticed something interesting lately with methylone. When he goes into his bathroom and looks in the mirror, things start to crawl and move just a little bit. He notes this effect is particularly pronounced when looking at his face. He wouldn't call it a psychedelic effect, really, it's too mild - but it sure isn't nystagmus, either! This is at dosages of about 260mg (200mg + 60mg booster). He has never noted this effect with MDMA (though perhaps it was there but obscured by the nystagmus). Lastly, he always smokes cannabis when he's on methylone, so a synergy could be occuring.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  14. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    If there's a stimulant comedown afterwards, then there are stimulant effects during (whether discerned or not... maybe they're masked by the empath/tactogenic ones). In other words it must be a very stimulating substance, even if one doesn't feel stimulated for whatever reason.

I am used to GI distress already from propylhexedrine, not to mention unpleasant cardiac effects at times (and various types of other stimulant comedowns). The serotonin depletion comes as something of a surprise tho, given the claims that direct comparisons to MDMA are something of a stretch as well. Anyway, I will have more experience of his own soon enough.

15. RunRedFox

RunRedFox Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    methylone has no pyschedelic component by itself but when mixed with tryptamines I have found feelings of telepathy among other synergys to happen.

16. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I say Methylone has little potential to "mess" with your head. It is a very potent empathogen however. I am one of the few people that prefer it to MDMA. It is a strong but pleseant stimulent. However it is very dehydrating so you must have access to water.

17. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    No issue there at all, SWIM drinks fluids constantly whenever he's on a stimulant (no matter what it is). Elementary Harm Reduction 101 for stimulants in general: keep drinking liquids.